Will any states adopt ME/NE electoral vote allocation method in the near future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:08:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will any states adopt ME/NE electoral vote allocation method in the near future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will any states adopt ME/NE electoral vote allocation method in the near future?  (Read 666 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
« edited: April 19, 2017, 11:25:57 AM by Ronnie »

I might be a little late to the ballgame on this observation, especially considering Nate Silver wrote about it in late January, but if things get dire for Republicans with respect to winning the electoral college as it works now, what's stopping them from tilting the playing field in their favor?  Their prospects for winning statewide in presidential elections in Virginia and Georgia may slip away over the next couple cycles, but one thing they might have going for them is control over the state legislatures and governor's mansions, in which case, a bill splitting the EV by CD could pass.  Another thing is that Trump may be able to seat more Supreme Court conservatives, and if he does, the prospect of successfully challenging partisan gerrymandering as a practice in court may fade.

Share your thoughts.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

Kind of hard to tell, but depending how the Republican Party sees its political fortunes changing up to 2018, if it's going to happen anywhere, we might see it before offices are changed hands after the midterms. Or in states such as PA, where barring a friendly GOP Governor taking over, they need at least 2 concurrent sessions to refer a state constitutional amendment to the ballot. After all, if 2018 is a bloodbath for them at the state level, they might find themselves with a significantly reduced capacity to enact such changes. On the other hand, I might be giving too much credit to the GOP in terms of thinking ahead.

Virginia Republicans seemed to revive this plan earlier this year:

http://wtkr.com/2017/01/24/bill-would-end-virginias-winner-take-all-electoral-vote-system/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So far no more action has been taken.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »

So, they're looking to gerrymander the electoral college too?
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »

I know it would help my party in a way but also keep in mind that going by districts could increase voter turn out.  People in Texas or California whose states are decided can now have a voice at the district level.  This may not benefit Republicans as much as some think.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »

So, they're looking to gerrymander the electoral college too?

I mean the electoral college itself is basically one big gerrymander with the process for how we admitted states/made state lines.

Yeah, but those can't be changed quite as easily.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

I'm afraid so, yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »