2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:16:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 75
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread  (Read 231260 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: November 01, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »

Hottinger's out. Won't run for Tiberi's seat.

IIRC, Hottinger is very conservative. So - relatively good news.

Hottinger wouldn't have been a good candidate for the Republicans, anyway.
swf541

« Reply #626 on: November 01, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »

According to his facebook statement Stewart Mills (MN-8 challenged Nolan in 14 and 16) is not running
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #627 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »

VA-GOV has me feeling down on Dems for 2018, the Gillespie campaign is a good preview of what you will see from candidates across the country. Linking Dems to whatever bogeyman group whether it be MS-13/Antifa and using wedge issues like statues or the pledge. These issues seem to enough to bring home dissatisfied Rs and a good chunk of Indies who disapprove of Trump.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #628 on: November 01, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »

According to his facebook statement Stewart Mills (MN-8 challenged Nolan in 14 and 16) is not running
Good, Stauber is a much better candidate.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #629 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »

VA-GOV has me feeling down on Dems for 2018, the Gillespie campaign is a good preview of what you will see from candidates across the country. Linking Dems to whatever bogeyman group whether it be MS-13/Antifa and using wedge issues like statues or the pledge. These issues seem to enough to bring home dissatisfied Rs and a good chunk of Indies who disapprove of Trump.

If that were the case then Gillespie would be ahead.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #630 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »

Trump lost Virginia. Even if Northam wins, which sadly isn't a given, if it's by less than Hillary that's a pretty disappointing showing for the Dems considering we're supposedly in the midst of a "Democratic wave" right now. Same for NJ, where it's looking like Dems will roughly match Hillary's margin despite the supposed "wave" and a host of other NJ-specific factors that should be putting the wind at our backs there.
swf541

« Reply #631 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »

gillepsie isnt a generic r and is actually a competent canidate even if he is acting like utter filth
Trump lost Virginia. Even if Northam wins, which sadly isn't a given, if it's by less than Hillary that's a pretty disappointing showing for the Dems considering we're supposedly in the midst of a "Democratic wave" right now. Same for NJ, where it's looking like Dems will roughly match Hillary's margin despite the supposed "wave" and a host of other NJ-specific factors that should be putting the wind at our backs there.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #632 on: November 05, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Gillespie is very much generic R and that's the problem.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #633 on: November 05, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »

Northam is also very much a generic D.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »

I mean you can't necessarily compare Governor races and Congressional Races. For example, I support Kim Guadagno for NJ Governor but I can't fathom supporting a Republican for the House / Senate right now.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

I mean you can't necessarily compare Governor races and Congressional Races. For example, I support Kim Guadagno for NJ Governor but I can't fathom supporting a Republican for the House / Senate right now.
If that was the case then Handel would've lost, there's enthusiasm for the Democrats but it's in the wrong part of the nation.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #636 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »

If that was the case then Handel would've lost, there's enthusiasm for the Democrats but it's in the wrong part of the nation.

Err, are you sure? See, whenever I see GA-6 mentioned it always seems to be coupled with the idea that that district is very competitive right now despite being a deeply Republican district all the way up until 2016. It has been suggested a number of times before, and I think it's probably true that district may have swung as far to the left as it can under normal midterm/presidential turnout scenarios. Yes, it's very close to being a Clinton district, but that is after a massive swing away from Republicans. What Clinton / Ossoff got may be the absolute ceiling outside of low-key special elections with lopsided turnout. In that sense, all the money and attention showered on GA-6 may have worked against Ossoff by bringing out Republicans who may not have voted beforehand.

No one should be drawing too many conclusions based off of one gubernatorial election in a relatively competitive state one year before the 2018 midterm elections. A lot can change between now and then, and even in a wave environment, it's not that uncommon for the party on the losing end of said wave to win elections one might think they should be locked out of.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #637 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tom Price won the district by over 20% in 2016. Then Handel lost by less than 4%. That's a pretty massive swing lol. The district was anti-Trump, not anti Republican (very wealthy and educated district, which tended to be a lot more anti-Trump than the usual Republican, although Trump is helping mobilize these people to vote democrat more).
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #638 on: November 06, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #639 on: November 06, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

I like that you can filter the data different ways (https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/11/06/National-Politics/Polling/question_19623.xml).  Among independents, it's 51-35 D.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #640 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »

Northam is also very much a generic D.

well, no, generic D didn't endorse Bush for President in 2000 and 2004 Tongue
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #641 on: November 07, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »

28-year old State Rep Kaniela Ing is running for Hanabusa’s seat. Hawaii will now have 2 beautiful Representatives.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #642 on: November 07, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »

I'm now 20% less straight than I used to be.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #643 on: November 07, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »

lmbo. God that guy is hot
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #644 on: November 07, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »

It's not fair to the rest of the states. Tulsi AND Kaniela? Might be the most attractive set of congressmen ...ever?

Noem is very pretty too, but has horrible politics. But we've only got 1 Rep, so it's easier..
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #645 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

I just became gayer.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #646 on: November 08, 2017, 12:22:20 AM »

lool
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #647 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:21 AM »

If I could vote for him just on his looks, I would do it so he can give me some tips on improving my looks. Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #648 on: November 08, 2017, 12:31:19 AM »

And based upon the results in Virginia, we have the candidates, the enthusiasm, and turnout to make that margin felt.  
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #649 on: November 08, 2017, 01:42:20 AM »

Yes, pretty obvious that we should prepare for a deluge of retirements, challengers entering races in all sorts of seats, and resources to flow into these districts at unprecedented rates.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies