Study: College-educated Christians more likely to attend church weekly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:46:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Study: College-educated Christians more likely to attend church weekly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Study: College-educated Christians more likely to attend church weekly  (Read 504 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2017, 10:44:10 AM by RI »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/04/education-church-attendance/524346/?utm_source=polfb

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article presents the hypothesis that college allows Christians to better find a community they can latch on to compared to those who've graduated only high school. Another hypothesis I've seen is that college acts as a sieve to divide "true believers" from nominal Christians. However, I don't see either of these hypotheses answering why this impacts Christians but not Jews or Muslims.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »

Seems plausible to me from experience. In my hometown the most religious people were upper middle class professsionals. The working class towny people I knew typically didn't attend church.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »

Only semi-related, but this reminds me of how - based on most reading I've done - social conservatism wasn't really thought of as a "populist" thing, associated with the "working class," until relatively recently.  The moralist Federalist, Whigs and Republicans certainly weren't struggling to get by.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »

Only semi-related, but this reminds me of how - based on most reading I've done - social conservatism wasn't really thought of as a "populist" thing, associated with the "working class," until relatively recently.  The moralist Federalist, Whigs and Republicans certainly weren't struggling to get by.

Yeah, the traditional stereotype of working-class morals was relative lack of sexual restraint. You could argue that hypocrisy has been added to that stereotype rather than the core stereotype actually changing, but it's still a pretty big shift in perceptions.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »

At my private Lutheran college, they encouraged us to attend chapel services weekly, and it helped me get into the habit.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/04/education-church-attendance/524346/?utm_source=polfb

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article presents the hypothesis that college allows Christians to better find a community they can latch on to compared to those who've graduated only high school. Another hypothesis I've seen is that college acts as a sieve to divide "true believers" from nominal Christians. However, I don't see either of these hypotheses answering why this impacts Christians but not Jews or Muslims.

The Muslim one is pretty clearly a sample selection one, given that they are mostly immigrants. The pool of Muslims who:
a) Go to college
Or
b) Immigrate to the West

must be quite different from the general population of both Arab Muslims or Western Christians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies