France 2017: Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France 2017: Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67]
Author Topic: France 2017: Results Thread  (Read 139977 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »

By the way, why do the results for overseas voting locations make a differentiation between Israel and Jerusalem?
Because I guess Jerusalem isn't part of Israël???

Am I missing something here? Is Jerusalem not the capital of Israel? Everything else on the webpage is by country, why is there a distinction? Is Jerusalem there to represent Palestine?
Tel Aviv is internationally recognized as the capital of Israel, and many nations do not recognize Israeli authority over the whole of Jerusalem because it violates an Israeli-Palestinian agreement.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1651 on: May 10, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 10:35:27 AM by Tintrlvr »

By the way, why do the results for overseas voting locations make a differentiation between Israel and Jerusalem?
Because I guess Jerusalem isn't part of Israël???

Am I missing something here? Is Jerusalem not the capital of Israel? Everything else on the webpage is by country, why is there a distinction? Is Jerusalem there to represent Palestine?

The European Union officially recognizes Jerusalem as a "corpus separatum," not a part of Israel. France takes that more seriously than some other countries.

Israel only officially declared Jerusalem its capital in 1980. France, like the US and many other countries, officially recognizes Tel Aviv as its capital.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1652 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »

The UN does not recognize Jerusalem as part of Israel going by the pre-67 borders, it will either be jointly/internationally controlled or be separated into West & East Jerusalem as per the international community. Jerusalem is the 3rd holy site of Islam & is a sensitive issue for many Arabs & Palestine people.

Besides the entire military occupation of West Bank is considered illegal. Tel Aviv is the capital of Israel. I don't think UN or international bodies will ever recognize Jerusalem as the capital, it will cause worldwide chaos & riots in many areas !
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #1653 on: May 10, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »

Thanks for the clarifications guys. I guess I just didn't know enough about the region.

Just to clarify: Jerusalem is more of a neutral zone, nether Israeli or Palestinian. Or, at lest, that's the way France considers it for its elections.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1654 on: May 10, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

He did better winning a percentage of all voters in the second round than Hollande, Sarko in 2007 and Mitterrand in 81. I'm actually impressed.

The other way to look at it is that he did 18 points worse than the only other person who faced a far-right candidate.
...in a completely different world scenario...

A world scenario that people like him are responsible for, yes.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1655 on: May 17, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

A little attempt to map urban-rural polarisation across France; comparing Le Pen's result in each department to her result in the largest commune in each department. Darker green means Le Pen did relatively worse in the biggest town; red means she actually did better.

Obviously, massive pinch of salt because darker shades of green tend to just mean larger towns, but there does seem to be some sort of regional pattern - urban areas were relatively less friendly to Macron in the North East as well as the heavily urban cluster in Rhône-Alpes.

In contrast, there is less of a difference in the rural South West, PACA and Brittany (which was strongly pro-Macron in both urban and rural areas).
adma
« Reply #1656 on: May 21, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »

I've been using lepoint.fr as a resource for colour-coded 1st and 2nd round maps by constituency/canton; but it seems like the colour code's disappeared
http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/?&p=tour1
Is there an alternate, presently-available resource?  (Remember: my French isn't the greatest, so it's hard to search)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1657 on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 09:41:33 AM by parochial boy »

I'd noticed that too. This one seems to work down to a commune level

https://www.publicsenat.fr/article/politique/presidentielle-2017-carte-interactive-des-resultats-en-temps-reel-58975

Ifop also have some pretty good maps by candidate and stuff

http://www.ifop.com/?option=com_cartos
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #1658 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Elections/Les-resultats/Presidentielles/elecresult__presidentielle-2017/(path)/presidentielle-2017/index.html

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Elections/Les-resultats/Presidentielles/elecresult__presidentielle-2017/(path)/presidentielle-2017/FE.html

The official results it anyone is interested. The numbers are the same as the other resources shown, but this is probably a better resource to cite.
adma
« Reply #1659 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »

Good for results.  Not so good for maps, or for certain kinds of "breakdowns" (i.e. by constituency as opposed to by department). In which case, supplemental sites/maps are absolutely useful.

Incidentally, lepoint.fr has got its colours back--I checked.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies