President Vladimir
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  President Vladimir
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What percentage of the vote will Vladimir get on Sunday
80-90

70-80

60-70

50-60

runoff (<50)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: President Vladimir  (Read 2735 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »

I said mostly. Ballot stuffing in some voting locations might change the vote by a couple points, but not significantly. And the only significant candidate they blocked was Navalny. So yes, not western free, but more or less free.

40% of the Russian electorate also didn't cast a vote which may have been because they feel that it wouldn't make any difference.

That figure is closer to 30 now, and it's a helluva lot better than our turnout, (granted there is ballot stuffing in some areas which changes turnout numbers by a couple of points, but not enough to hit 15-20% of a difference).
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »

Russia has a culture of wanting a strongman who gets up in the face of their enemies and commands with an iron fist.

I hear that often, but I'd rather say that people just don't see much value in democracy (although not opposed to it in principle) and would support anyone, strongman or not, who will bring order, stability and improvement of standards of living.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2018, 12:18:15 AM by smoltchanov »

The ironic thing is that both Putin and Chinese president Xi Jinping are somewhat genuinely popular at home, although the extent that's due to various restrictions is hard to gauge.

As i said - Russians generally value "stability" over "liberty" (especially older generation, for which "there is no war" is a sufficient argument to reelect "tsar" indefinitely). Probably something similar (with even bigger "Eastern" mentality) in China. No surprises here. Again, as i said many times - it takes time to change it. A generation from now the differences will already be substantial, 2 generations - very much so. I like parallels with US Civil Rights movements: first decisions, undermining segregation (abolition of "whites only" primaries, and pro-civil rights plank in Democratic platform) were made in 1940th, but it took about 30 years for Civil Rights position be accepted (and - very grudgingly) by majority of the white southerners. And all this - despite general support of civil rights by federal government, very active Civil Rights movement, and so on. In Russia we don't have a support of central government for reforms now (unlike Gorbachev's period, for example), and fear of even theoretically possible repressions is still strong (especially among older generation, who heard from their fathers and mothers a recollections of Big Terror of 1937-38, and, generally, still remembers Stalin). It all takes time, you can't leap...
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 12:20:03 AM »

Russia has a culture of wanting a strongman who gets up in the face of their enemies and commands with an iron fist.

I hear that often, but I'd rather say that people just don't see much value in democracy (although not opposed to it in principle) and would support anyone, strongman or not, who will bring order, stability and improvement of standards of living.

I mean us Americans also want someone who will bring about those things, but we are still very different.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 01:19:35 AM »

So not quite as high as Putin's buddy Assad's 89%.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:24 AM »

I mean us Americans also want someone who will bring about those things, but we are still very different.

Again - you have quite different history in 1776-1991 period. So, difference is only natural.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »

Mr. Putin has won over 70% in the election. He is a great man of the people.

Chad Putin beats nearest rival by 60 points. Virgin Trump gets fewer votes than Crooked Hillary. Sad!

Chad Putin dates Alina Kabaeva and has 100,000s of hot Russian women who want him. Virgin Trudeau is a self described male feminist
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies