Charlie Baker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:09:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Charlie Baker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could he mount a primary challenge to trump?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Charlie Baker  (Read 1245 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »

Unfortunately it looks like Baker will be easily re-elected in overwhelmingly democratic Massachusetts in 2018

Could he mount a primary campaign against trump as the "sane" republican candidate?

Discuss w/maps
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »

Could he "mount a campaign"?  Yes.  Could he win the nomination?  No.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »

Theoretically, but he'll probably wait until 2024 with Kasich's whole "OH BOY I'M SAYING I HAVEN'T DECIDED WHAT TO DO YET BUT LET'S BE HONEST" game.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »

Theoretically, but he'll probably wait until 2024 with Kasich's whole "OH BOY I'M SAYING I HAVEN'T DECIDED WHAT TO DO YET BUT LET'S BE HONEST" game.
The first thing Baker would have to do is expand his name recognition. Outside of New England and political junkies he isn't really that well known. If he did run and became the nominee in 2024, he could help the GOP appear less extreme and religious but rather more moderate and secular (if he doesn't change his views in the primary).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »

The "Liberal Republicans" died long before the "Conservative Democrats" did.  The last GOP Senator that I would describe as a "liberal" was Lowell Weicker.  The last GOP Representative I would describe as "liberal would be Chris Shays. 

If this type of Republican couldn't win the GOP nomination at a time when the GOP base was in New England, how will Baker win in 2020?  Or ever?  Religious conservatives will veto Baker on the ticket in the same manner that Big Labor vetoed Jimmy Byrnes as FDR's VP in 1944.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »

Could he "mount a campaign"?  Yes.  Could he win the nomination?  No.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »

No, the GOP is wildly extreme and the base is rabid.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »

What does it say about our party politics that, nationally, Charlie Baker would probably be a better fit in the Democratic Party right now than the Republican Party?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »

What does it say about our party politics that, nationally, Charlie Baker would probably be a better fit in the Democratic Party right now than the Republican Party?

He might make the switch if he wants to run for President.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:06:24 PM »

The "Liberal Republicans" died long before the "Conservative Democrats" did.  The last GOP Senator that I would describe as a "liberal" was Lowell Weicker.  The last GOP Representative I would describe as "liberal would be Chris Shays. 

If this type of Republican couldn't win the GOP nomination at a time when the GOP base was in New England, how will Baker win in 2020?  Or ever?  Religious conservatives will veto Baker on the ticket in the same manner that Big Labor vetoed Jimmy Byrnes as FDR's VP in 1944.

Lincoln Chafee wasn't liberal? Mike Castle wasn't liberal? Michael Grimm wasn't liberal(Grimm voted almost as liberally as Van Hollen in 2013).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

He might make the switch if he wants to run for President.

No way he wins the Democratic nomination either.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »

Uh, guess they didn't die then.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »

I think he meant at the federal level, which is certainly true. And no, Olympia Snowe was not a liberal Republican either. Honestly, the closest politician in the mold of Rockefeller, at this point, is Lincoln Chafee lol.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

I think he meant at the federal level, which is certainly true. And no, Olympia Snowe was not a liberal Republican either. Honestly, the closest politician in the mold of Rockefeller, at this point, is Lincoln Chafee lol.

Personally, I'd never call Snowe a "liberal," and there certainly were some Republicans back in the day who were way more liberal than any elected GOPer now.  However, I think it's important to remember that the expressions "liberal Republican" and "conservative Democrat" mean "liberal FOR A REPUBLICAN" and "conservative FOR A DEMOCRAT."  I think if you transported Atlas back in time to the 1950s, a lot of so-called liberal or "Rockefeller Republicans" would receive about the same level of (lack of) respect that is awarded to Snowe and Collins.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:53:04 AM »

Baker is not a liberal
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »

I agree, though I don't think he'd win a Democratic primary either. But again, for perspective, the GOP is maniacally obsessed with which bathrooms people can use, etc. It's a party of fringe lunacy.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

Nah, won't happen and if, won't succeed at all. He's far too moderate to win a modern GOP nomination, particularly in a head-to-head matchup.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »

I'm probably voting for Baker for stability's sake, but I wouldn't vote for him for any national office. He only really has crossover appeal in Massachusetts because people here prefer our Governor to be a little more cautious with our money.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »

I'm probably voting for Baker for stability's sake, but I wouldn't vote for him for any national office. He only really has crossover appeal in Massachusetts because people here prefer our Governor to be a little more cautious with our money.

But not for the President to be more cautious with the nation's money?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »

I mean a Republican governor in MA is effectively toothless. Dems have super majorities in both houses here. It's generally more of a balancing out thing than anything else. Most Republicans nationally have awful fiscal policy. GOP has driven up the national debt more than any recent Democrat has. Bill Clinton balanced the budget. Also we value secular liberalism which the national GOP don't.

But not for the President to be more cautious with the nation's money?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »

Would Governor Phil Scott of Vermont be a "Liberal Republican"?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »

Most posters here define "liberal Republican" by when you retired and how far removed you are from the current GOP that they don't like, not by their actual views.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »

I would say he's kind of like me: socially moderate while economically conservative.  I read something awhile back that said his economic beliefs are essentially what tie him to the party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies