AMA: Crispy Bacon Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:27:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AMA: Crispy Bacon Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AMA: Crispy Bacon Edition  (Read 1771 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »

If you are still where you were three years ago, you will be in the area where the moon will eclipse 98.5% of the sun on Aug 21. You have to go at least to Carnesville, Royston, or Baldwin to get to 100% (and that would be a very brief 100% at the edge of totality). Do you plan to go the extra distance to catch the total eclipse?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »

Would you like me to help Grumps with a simple analogy?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »

Do you understand muon2's question?  If you do explain it to me.  Tongue

There's a total solar eclipse cutting across the country in August! I don't live quite at the spot where the sun will go entirely behind the moon but I'll be close - here is a map of travel times to the optimum viewing range!

Would you like me to help Grumps with a simple analogy?

By all means! Tongue

Partial eclipses are pretty cool and happen about twice a year somewhere on earth. But if you aren't watching for them (with special filters) you might not know they are there. Here's a picture I took in 2014 when there was about a 25% eclipse as seen from my house. Think of getting a base on balls to take first.

On Aug 21 the sun will be about 84% covered as seen in da Burgh, kind of like the picture below. People may notice the light dim just like if clouds came across the sun, but you still need a filter to stand the direct light in your eyes. This is still exciting but still relatively common, kind of like stealing second base.

In BK's area the sun will be reduced to a sliver and only put out about 100th of its normal light. It will feel eerie like when a tornadic storm is in the area. People will likely stop what they are doing to take a look, though even at 1% of the light staring will hurt your eyes. This is getting rare, like stealing third base.

But the total eclipse is some else entirely. The Sun is completely blocked and stars are visible in the dark sky. Civilizations though the end was near when they saw it. I was in Wrigley to see Javier Baez steal home in game 1 against the Dodgers in the NLCS. Stealing home to score - that's the total eclipse. And yes Grumps, if you were thinking of my analogy in terms of Paradise by the Dashboard Light, that was my intent. Smiley

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »

For clarification muon - what you're saying is that the sun will be 99% covered where I'm at right now in the NE ATL exurbs, yes? And In the vicinity of the Nantahala National Forest I will "steal home base"? Or are you saying that no matter where I am the best I'll get is 99% of an eclipse?

Yes, you can steal home (clouds willing) by getting NE of a line from Blue Ridge GA through Cleveland, Baldwin, and Royston. At that line the 100% eclipse is fairly short (around 30 sec in those towns). But get to Murphy NC or Franklin NC in the Nantahala and you'll get a full 2 and half minutes at home base.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies