Is self-interest on taxes moral? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is self-interest on taxes moral? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is self-interest on taxes moral?  (Read 3434 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: November 11, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »

Do you similarly consider self defense and related activities to lack a moral character?

I don't see how that's a relevant question. Self-defense and other activity can be easily justified on the basis of a universal right to life.

Hm. I contemplated self-preservation as perhaps the most immediate act of self-interest. You are framing self-preservation (or in this case stated "self defense"), it is moral for the act of defense, having little to do with it be oneself or someone else. Hm.

Exactly.

And I thought I'd become collectivist recently. Tongue

I mean when discussing morality, how is it even possible not to be collectivist? Morality only makes sense with reference to a collective. If I'm the only person in the universe (or if I somehow manage to never have any interaction with anyone of any kind) then nothing can be right or wrong.

It is very possible for something to be right or wrong in such a circumstance if one believes a person or thing can have inherent value. 

Does a person only have value if they consider themselves as having such?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »

If a person is inherently valuable, then they have a duty to themselves to act accordingly, such as not to harm or destroy themselves without good reason. That is a moral issue which exists regardless of the presence of others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies