Let's say Trump resigns in 2017 or 2018 - would he run again in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Let's say Trump resigns in 2017 or 2018 - would he run again in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's say Trump resigns in 2017 or 2018 - would he run again in 2020?  (Read 823 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:17:38 AM »

Maybe I'm just amusing myself, but President Donald J. Trump has been... unconventional. Troubles have arisen very early, but despite the kind of early Presidency that would send most Presidents to single digit approvals, Trump has held steady at between 37-42% approvals because he has an iron grip over his base. If President Trump resigned in 2017 and let Pence at the wheel with his far right and potentially very controversial agenda, who is to say that Trump, without the stench of impeachment, doesn't just run again in 2020 with the loyalty of his base and knock Pence out in the Republican primary? The two never really liked eachother all that much - it was a marriage of political convenience, as most P-VP choices are.

House of Cards-y, I know.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:36 AM »

I'm positive that his family wouldn't let him run again for President at the age of 74 given all that would've occurred to lead him to resigning.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:54:23 AM »

What if trump resigns and pence wins in 2020 in what is considered another "upset" vs hillary clinton, who clinches nomination again?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »

I'm positive that his family wouldn't let him run again for President at the age of 74 given all that would've occurred to lead him to resigning.

His family let him run this time fulling full well that he is not a well man, why would they prevent him 4 years later (he probably won't even be as unpopular as he was when he started running for President in 2015, when his ratings were around 20% Favorable 75% unfavorable)? Either that or Trump is like a drunk WWE fighter demanding his keys to drive home - he will fight you to do what he wants.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »

Let him? Pft! Nobody puts Donny in a corner.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »

Logic Error, because Trump won't resigns. But can he run if he get impeached?

It'd  be really crazy scenario. He gets impeached. Blame Democrats, establishment, Fake News or whatever and wins nomination. And there he meets Warren...

x I Won - Get Over It
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »

He might, but I doubt the RNC would allow him to take the nomination even if he did win more delegates.
Tancred
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »

No, I think Trump would start his own news network instead. From what I understand that was his plan if he did not win in 2016. I sometimes wonder if deep down Trump would have preferred being the head of his own network over being president.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »

He might, but I doubt the RNC would allow him to take the nomination even if he did win more delegates.

Wouldn't they be able to outright expel him from the party under these circumstances?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies