WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:29:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 141962 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »

I think he will surprise people and win by about 10, possibly more with Blankenship.
It is a huge blind spot of Cook and Sabato to have this as a Tossup and Montana as Lean (Sabato) or Likely (Cook). Both should be at Lean. Inside Elections and Fox finally moved WV towards Manchin.

Really, I did not know about Fox doing that, that is a good move. Fox has actually pleasantly surprised me with their senate ratings, and honestly out of the pros they have the best map by far.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #726 on: July 13, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »

Lol, atta guy Manchin!

He just said this to a reporter:

“I’ll be 71 years old in August, you’re going to whip me? Kiss my you know what,” said Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) when asked if Schumer can influence his vote…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hotair.com/archives/2018/07/13/sen-manchin-chuck-schumer-can-kiss-know/amp/

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #727 on: July 13, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #728 on: July 13, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »

Lol, thank god the real intense stuff about his lobbying ties came out after he won the primary otherwise Manchin would be in the ring with Jenkins.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #729 on: July 13, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »

This seat is probably safe until Manchin retires.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #730 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

Manchin has got to be one of the most skilled and cunning politicians in my lifetime, like him or not, his electoral prowess is truly impressive.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #731 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »

Wow, just wow.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #732 on: July 17, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »

Our King lives!!!! http://www.journal-news.net/news/local-news/2018/07/blankenship-says-he-has-the-signatures-to-run-again/
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #733 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »

If he can't get on the ballot because of the sore loser law, will he run as a write-in?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #734 on: July 17, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »

YES! The S.S Blankenship is ready to go out and siphon some votes.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #735 on: July 17, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »

One of the few comments on the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can’t make this up. Smh.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #736 on: July 17, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »

I love the fact that all crazy Rs use the phrase "wake up!". Its odd, and amusing.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #737 on: July 17, 2018, 11:22:56 PM »

Daddy Don.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #738 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:09 PM »

We can only hope that Beet with his newfound persona starts a "Chinapersons for Blankenship" movement.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #739 on: July 18, 2018, 04:05:55 AM »

YES Cheesy

TAKE THAT, COCAINE MITCH
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.03, S: -3.13

« Reply #740 on: July 18, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

Trump won West Virginia by 42.1 points in 2016 and is quite popular in the State. If he forcefully throws his support behind Morrissey in the Autumn and portrays Manchin as being largely an obstacle to the administrations agenda, this could end up being a very tough race for Manchin. I think that this race will be significantly influenced by how much pressure the President applies on him. If he really goes after him then I would not discount the possibility that Manchin will be defeated.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #741 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »

Trump won West Virginia by 42.1 points in 2016 and is quite popular in the State. If he forcefully throws his support behind Morrissey in the Autumn and portrays Manchin as being largely an obstacle to the administrations agenda, this could end up being a very tough race for Manchin.I think that this race will be significantly influenced by how much pressure the President applies on him. If he really goes after him then I would not discount the possibility that Manchin will be defeated.

This point here is overrated. Look at what happened in PA-18. That district was more pro-Trump than the national average. In fact, IIRC, Trump was slightly above water. And it also had a high PVI in favor of the GOP. Trump campaigned a couple of times for Saccone and it still wasn't enough. In Michigan, Obama's approval rating on election day was 54-45. His approval in WI was 52-47. His approval was 51-48 in PA. This didn't stop Trump from edging out in all of those states that I listed above. Not sure if him campaigning more often would make such a difference.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:57 PM »

Trump won West Virginia by 42.1 points in 2016 and is quite popular in the State. If he forcefully throws his support behind Morrissey in the Autumn and portrays Manchin as being largely an obstacle to the administrations agenda, this could end up being a very tough race for Manchin. I think that this race will be significantly influenced by how much pressure the President applies on him. If he really goes after him then I would not discount the possibility that Manchin will be defeated.
This reeks of Democratic strategy during the Obama years. The idea was sort of like trickle down economics, except with politics. The effort put into the presidency would trickle down to senate, gubernatorial, and state races. This faliled.

Trump putting support behind Morrissey doesnt have as much power as you think. As another poster noted:
This point here is overrated. Look at what happened in PA-18. That district was more pro-Trump than the national average. In fact, IIRC, Trump was slightly above water. And it also had a high PVI in favor of the GOP. Trump campaigned a couple of times for Saccone and it still wasn't enough. In Michigan, Obama's approval rating on election day was 54-45. His approval in WI was 52-47. His approval was 51-48 in PA. This didn't stop Trump from edging out in all of those states that I listed above. Not sure if him campaigning more often would make such a difference.

WV is the same scenario, a super Trump area that had Dem roots. Trump put everything there, and lost and according to polling, it looks like Manchin is going to win as well. Or look at Alabama, same thing. Trump has some influence, just like Obama, but its extremely limited.
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: July 18, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »

Trump won West Virginia by 42.1 points in 2016 and is quite popular in the State. If he forcefully throws his support behind Morrissey in the Autumn and portrays Manchin as being largely an obstacle to the administrations agenda, this could end up being a very tough race for Manchin.I think that this race will be significantly influenced by how much pressure the President applies on him. If he really goes after him then I would not discount the possibility that Manchin will be defeated.

I don't accept these arguments. That was a special election for a seat in the House, which is not nearly as consequential as it was for the Senate seat in Alabama, so turnout could play quite a significant role. In Alabama, Jones won by a very narrow margin over Roy Moore who was one of the worst candidates ever fielded in the history of the Republic. His record did not become clear until after the primary and thusly the party was stuck with him. These upcoming elections will be quite different. Turnout will be in line with mid-term averages, or higher, so that will not be a problem in the way than it has been in a number of these House Special elections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #744 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

Patrick Morrissey is a terrible candidate and will lose badly to Manchin by 15-20 points, at least!!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #745 on: July 18, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »

Patrick Morrissey is a terrible candidate and will lose badly to Manchin by 15-20 points, at least!!

I doubt he loses by quite that much, but yes, he’s not a good candidate
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #746 on: July 18, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »

I am not sure how good a candidate he is yet. It is going to be a tough victory for him as West Virginia is a generally "pro-labour" State with the backlash against the Democratic party stemming from other issues; issues which Joe Manchin portrays himself as being strong on, i.e. gun rights, coal and mining e.t.c. It is certainly possible though and if Trump vocally advocates for the election of Morrissey, that will make it more difficult for Manchin to win.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #747 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »

I am not sure how good a candidate he is yet. It is going to be a tough victory for him as West Virginia is a generally "pro-labour" State with the backlash against the Democratic party stemming from other issues; issues which Joe Manchin portrays himself as being strong on, i.e. gun rights, coal and mining e.t.c. It is certainly possible though and if Trump vocally advocates for the election of Morrissey, that will make it more difficult for Manchin to win.

He’s a bad candidate. The guy is incredibly easy to paint as a carpetbagger since he once ran for Congress in New Jersey. Carpetbagging in general is bad, but carpetbagging across state lines is worse.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »

He’s a bad candidate. The guy is incredibly easy to paint as a carpetbagger since he once ran for Congress in New Jersey. Carpetbagging in general is bad, but carpetbagging across state lines is worse.

Especially if they're from a "coastal elitist" state like mine.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #749 on: July 19, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »

Likely D

Manchin wins 59-38
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length