WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 140402 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »

Ojeda would not lose in a landslide, WVa is a populouus state with consevative roots.  He is a decorated Veteran that will make this race a tilt D state. 

Nick Rahill or Carte Goodwin or Natalie Tennant will lose in a landslide
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1426 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/01/11/manchin-considering-running-for-governor-again/

That wouldn't be a wise move. He narrowly won reelection to the Senate, and I don't think he would win another statewide race after 2018. He should focus on serving out the remainder of his term. Democrats can't afford to lose his seat.

If he runs and loses, he still holds his seat. If he runs and wins, a special election is held in 2022.

Which Democrats would lose in a landslide, thus costing them that Senate seat two years earlier.
yeah, exactly. They either lose the senate seat two years earlier(with someone else in the seat who is not Joe Manchin, such as Ojeda), or they deal with Manchin for the 4 years.

Really, if the Ds have the senate by, say, 52-48, it would be a smarter move for Manchin to run for governor and then appoint someone for the two years.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1427 on: January 12, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »

In 2024, this seat is gone, anyways, at least Ojeda can protect it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1428 on: January 12, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »

Manchin has flirted with leaving the Senate to be Governor again at least a few times IIRC. I doubt he does it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1429 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/01/11/manchin-considering-running-for-governor-again/

That wouldn't be a wise move. He narrowly won reelection to the Senate, and I don't think he would win another statewide race after 2018. He should focus on serving out the remainder of his term. Democrats can't afford to lose his seat.

If he runs and loses, he still holds his seat. If he runs and wins, a special election is held in 2022.

Which Democrats would lose in a landslide, thus costing them that Senate seat two years earlier.
yeah, exactly. They either lose the senate seat two years earlier(with someone else in the seat who is not Joe Manchin, such as Ojeda), or they deal with Manchin for the 4 years.

Really, if the Ds have the senate by, say, 52-48, it would be a smarter move for Manchin to run for governor and then appoint someone for the two years.

Democrats will have a difficult time taking the Senate back in 2020. And 2018 should have proved that West Virginia is moving completely out of reach for the Democrats. Manchin would be well-advised to keep to his Senate seat.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1430 on: January 12, 2019, 10:50:21 PM »

Democrats will have a difficult time taking the Senate back in 2020. And 2018 should have proved that West Virginia is moving completely out of reach for the Democrats. Manchin would be well-advised to keep to his Senate seat.

Depends. The Ds have a great shot at taking the senate, as it lies in taking 4 rather tossup/lean D seats(CO, ME, AZ, and NC), all of which either lie in D territory(CO, ME), or feature a rather unpopular or lukewarm incumbent(all of them). If the Ds take the senate, the question is more the margin of the senate, as having a majority such as 52-48 would make the D senate rather secure going into 2022, meaning the loss of a senate seat wont mean that much.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1431 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »

If Trump is President, Democrats *might* be able to win it. But yeah, even if Bernie is President it's probably toast.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1432 on: January 12, 2019, 11:52:02 PM »

If Trump is President, Democrats *might* be able to win it. But yeah, even if Bernie is President it's probably toast.
Why are you saying 'even' Bernie as if he's somehow super popular in WV?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1433 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:59 AM »

Why are you saying 'even' Bernie as if he's somehow super popular in WV?

Least unpopular.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1434 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:11 AM »

GOP is underestimating Richard Ojeda's chances. He is a decorated Army Vet and can successfully defend this seat
 He will surely jump in, if the seat is vacated
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1435 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19:24 AM »

In 2024, this seat is gone, anyways, at least Ojeda can protect it.
and even that is a big if consideringhe failed to win a house seat.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1436 on: January 13, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »

GOP is underestimating Richard Ojeda's chances. He is a decorated Army Vet and can successfully defend this seat
He'll run for president in 2024, not senate.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1437 on: January 16, 2019, 12:55:49 AM »

Just to trigger icespear, jk he is right, but still.

Straight outta the Grundy VA coal mines, they aint dead yet!

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1438 on: January 16, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »

If the Senate is vacated and Dems win in 2020, Richard Ojeda will run for Sen
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1439 on: January 16, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

... and lose big league.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1440 on: January 16, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »

... and lose big league.

They also said Beshear, Hood would lose. They are in contention. Thats why we have this thread about WWC voters

We would only know how well Ojeda will do, if only Manchin wins the gov mansion. Polling will be done. Ojeda is a Vet
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1441 on: January 16, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »

... and lose big league.

They also said Beshear, Hood would lose. They are in contention. Thats why we have this thread about WWC voters

We would only know how well Ojeda will do, if only Manchin wins the gov mansion. Polling will be done. Ojeda is a Vet
Ojeda was doing well until Trump came in and said "don't vote for ojeda because he doesn't support me" and he lost bad. I assume the same would happen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1442 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »

If Manchin wins and there is a Dem prez Castro or Harris, Ojeda wont have to support Trump. Special election will be in sometime early 2021.
BlueDogs2020
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1443 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:44 AM »

I agree, the only reason he lost was that Trump campaigned for his opponent, and Trump is ridiculously popular in WV-3. Ojeda would actually have a shot in a statewide race if Trump wasn´t president, even under a Dem president if they aren´t super unpopular in WV.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1444 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »

I agree, the only reason he lost was that Trump campaigned for his opponent, and Trump is ridiculously popular in WV-3. Ojeda would actually have a shot in a statewide race if Trump wasn´t president, even under a Dem president if they aren´t super unpopular in WV.
ehhh, if the R's send Trump in to support the R, I think the R would win. If not, then maybe ojeda could win.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1445 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »

Ojeda got a 50 point Trump district to like a 10 point odd loss. He gained close to 40 points with Trump campaigning hard against him.

I still think Machin should hold on for a while now. Ojeda should run again in WV03.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1446 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:10 AM »

If Manchin runs for governor again, I will donate to Jim Justice. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. If he wins, we lose the seat four years early.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1447 on: January 17, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »

If Manchin runs for governor again, I will donate to Jim Justice. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. If he wins, we lose the seat four years early.

Don't think Jim Justice will need your $10.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1448 on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »

Good point. He is the richest person in West Virginia last I checked.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1449 on: January 29, 2019, 12:49:44 AM »

Manchin back in NW WV a few months back. This is literally probably what a Trump 2016 Manchin 2018 voter looks like. Btw this is Wood County (Parkersburg) that went 71-23 Trump to 49-47 Manchin.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies