Omaha Election Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Omaha Election Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Omaha Election Results  (Read 3504 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »

How the freak are either side trying to find National implications in a medium sized City mayoral election where one of the major issues was a Flippin streetcar system??

This is Atlas.

Will you guys say the same thing when Rob Quist wins in 2 weeks?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »

How the freak are either side trying to find National implications in a medium sized City mayoral election where one of the major issues was a Flippin streetcar system??

This is Atlas.

In fairness, a congressional by election is far more indicative of national mood then a local Mayoral race. The former is clearly run on National issues 90% comma whereas the latter is almost entirely local with only a smattering of I don't like Democrats or Republicans cuz of whoever is in the White House
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »

This is Atlas.

You think he's going to win?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:26 PM »

This is Atlas.

If Quist does win, it'll be winning a federal office where national issues are relevant in a state that went strongly for Trump. That's a bit different from trying to draw conclusions from a mayoral election where it appears that despite some silly showmanship from both sides local issues took top priority, as usual.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »

I mean I actually care because I care about the fate of the Nebraska Democratic Party, but I guess that that's just me. :/
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »

I mean I actually care because I care about the fate of the Nebraska Democratic Party, but I guess that that's just me. :/

Well this wasn't even a partisan election, and by all accounts from people in Omaha the result was basically what was expected prior to the national people getting pointlessly involved in this. "Democratic challenger loses mayoral election to decently popular incumbent in mid-sized city with a lot of amalgamated conservative areas in it" isn't a particularly interesting story, or one that implies anything of importance outside of Omaha, and the obvious issues the Nebraska Democratic Party have are far more. This is a really silly thing to throw a fit about. And yes that also applies to NARAL and the pro-choice activists who threw a fit about this.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »

Well this wasn't even a partisan election, and by all accounts from people in Omaha the result was basically what was expected prior to the national people getting pointlessly involved in this. "Democratic challenger loses mayoral election to decently popular incumbent in mid-sized city with a lot of amalgamated conservative areas in it" isn't a particularly interesting story, or one that implies anything of importance outside of Omaha, and the obvious issues the Nebraska Democratic Party have are far more. This is a really silly thing to throw a fit about. And yes that also applies to NARAL and the pro-choice activists who threw a fit about this.

Am I throwing a fit? I'm happy that Mello got within single digits, though it would have been really nice to flip Omaha. Plus, Mello looks like a really good person to have on the bench for Congress or maybe even higher office down the line if things go well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »

This is Atlas.

If Quist does win, it'll be winning a federal office where national issues are relevant in a state that went strongly for Trump. That's a bit different from trying to draw conclusions from a mayoral election where it appears that despite some silly showmanship from both sides local issues took top priority, as usual.

I'm aware of that, but this federal race I'm talking about hasn't been nationalized much. My point is that Atlas tends to overreact to every election, and it's not just Republicans who do it.

Also, how Montana went in the presidential race isn't really relevant, as Democrats have always done significantly better in down ballot races here. GA-06 is much more of a bellwether, and I wouldn't even read too much into it either (but I have no doubt that the usual suspects will declare the Republican Party dead if Ossoff wins by 1 and be completely devastated if Handel wins by 1).

I don't think anyone is saying that it is just Republicans and it's certainly not "the usual suspects" talking about how trying to find any national implication here is completely pointless. I find both sides pretty irritating on that too, and no doubt will the next time some random state legislative special election somewhere flips parties in a 51D-49R race with tons of "REPUBLICANS DOOMED, TRUMP TOAST, WILL TRUMP EVEN SURVIVE HIS FULL TERM NOW?" or if it goes 51R-49D with people screaming "ARE DEMOCRATS DOOMED, IS TRUMP GOING TO BREAK 400 EVs IN 2020 NOW?" Both sides that do that are idiots.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »

Am I throwing a fit? I'm happy that Mello got within single digits, though it would have been really nice to flip Omaha. Plus, Mello looks like a really good person to have on the bench for Congress or maybe even higher office down the line if things go well.

No disagreement with that, I'm just saying that someone on either side trying to draw national implications out of this is being silly. On AAD we have some people claiming that the national party intentionally sabotaged Mello because he was so close to Sanders (even though he really wasn't and didn't even endorsed Sanders in 2016 and the only reason Sanders campaigned for him was he happened to be in Omaha during his national tour with Perez on the same date Mello was holding a rally) and jfern's hot take was "3rd way would rather have a Republican win than a Berniecrat". That's stupid. And NARAL and anyone trying to make this about abortion are also being incredibly stupid as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies