Dean's running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:52:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean's running mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Dean's running mate  (Read 26928 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2003, 07:40:24 AM »
« edited: December 30, 2003, 08:00:32 AM by Michael Zeigermann »

Assuming that Dean will receive the Democratic nomination (and that still hangs in the balance, no matter what the polls say), who do you think will or should be his Vice Presidential candidate?

If you support someone else for the nomination, or think someone other than Dean will win the primaries, then by all means let us know who their running mate should be.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 07:48:05 AM »

It depends on whether Dean is the crazy liberal the reps make him out to be. If he is pragmatic he will balance the ticket with someone more to the right, like Clark or Lieberman. If he is going to go all the way he will chose a cloned version of himself. Reagan chose Schweiker in 1976 in a desperate attempt to sway liberal republicans over to his side at the convention but it didn't work. Then he chose Bush the second time, who was arguably close to him. Usually a candidate makes a pragmatic choice, but you never know with Dean...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 07:54:40 AM »

Dean has always been good at playing to his audiance... so he will probably choose a centrist as VP.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 09:25:42 AM »

Dean has some problems in picking a running mate.  he is running against the establishment of the Democrat party.  So how can he pick a senator or Congressman.  Did you see he just attacked Terry McAulliffe in the last few days.

Edwards has said no.  Clark and Dean had a little spat about it already, and very publicly.  

Another governor would be the most logical, considering Dean's rants, but who ever knows with Dean.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 11:58:26 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2003, 12:02:54 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

You're right, Dean has massive problems picking a running mate. I agree that Clark and Edwards are unrealistic choices, but then so is Hillary. I guess it's a question of personal preference, who Dean supporters would like to see as his RM.

In any case, Dean would do well to choose a rival, namely Dick Gephardt. It's a move that would unite the Party and go some way to heal the fractions his campaign has opened up (much the same way Reagan chose his closest rival from the 1980 primaries, George Bush. It was an inspired move because it displayed party unity - something the Democrats desperately need to convey next year).
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 12:17:06 PM »

But of allt eh Candidates Gephardt si the most establishment candidate of all the candidates.  

His TAX INCREASE proposals do line up with Dean's though.

You're right, Dean has massive problems picking a running mate. I agree that Clark and Edwards are unrealistic choices, but then so is Hillary. I guess it's a question of personal preference, who Dean supporters would like to see as his RM.

In any case, Dean would do well to choose a rival, namely Dick Gephardt. It's a move that would unite the Party and go some way to heal the fractions his campaign has opened up (much the same way Reagan chose his closest rival from the 1980 primaries, George Bush. It was an inspired move because it displayed party unity - something the Democrats desperately need to convey next year).
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 12:20:47 PM »

oh and Gephardt has no foreign policy experience either.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 12:26:08 PM »

Seeing how Dean has had so much success with the Internet, wouldn't it be cool if he had a poll asking voters who should be his running mate?

I doubt many Dean supporters would like Clark - he's tried time and time again to stop Dean (with no success, I might add).  Edwards would be Clark with no "stop Dean" credentials.  But judging by Edwards failure to even beat Kucinich in some polls, I doubt he'd be a possibility.

Dick Morris thinks Hillary might be the VP pick of Dean, but who knows?  The Clinton's have tried their own "Stop Dean" scenarios (enter Clark), so they might be out too.

Harold Ford, Jr. would be a good pick.  Or John Lewis from my state of Georgia.  Lewis wouldn't win GA for Dean, but it could help some - along with other southern states.
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 12:33:35 PM »

True and good point.  Dean did ask the followers about it when it came to opting out of the Campaign finance laws.

I like ford as an intrguing candidate, but he now supports Kerry.  Plus as it is with hima d Lewis and they are black and not sure how that would play.  It will happen someday, but not sure if it will be 2004, would help Dean with credentials among blacks though.

Clark would add foreign policy, but recent tiff with Dean won't help, plus Clark hasn't said anything about DOMESTIC issues.

I would still think Graham would be the top pick.  He is a governor and getting out of the senate but with the experience to govern the senate ( what would Clark know about that?) Plus Graham is froma battleground state of FL which would make it more competitive but I still think Bush wins it.

Seeing how Dean has had so much success with the Internet, wouldn't it be cool if he had a poll asking voters who should be his running mate?

I doubt many Dean supporters would like Clark - he's tried time and time again to stop Dean (with no success, I might add).  Edwards would be Clark with no "stop Dean" credentials.  But judging by Edwards failure to even beat Kucinich in some polls, I doubt he'd be a possibility.

Dick Morris thinks Hillary might be the VP pick of Dean, but who knows?  The Clinton's have tried their own "Stop Dean" scenarios (enter Clark), so they might be out too.

Harold Ford, Jr. would be a good pick.  Or John Lewis from my state of Georgia.  Lewis wouldn't win GA for Dean, but it could help some - along with other southern states.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 12:54:21 PM »

I would like Russ Feingold better than anyone on this list.  The reason being, he tilts the midwest more to our side.  Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Michigan, and Ohio will decide this election.

Out of the choices cited, I would choose John Edwards.  He helps us in the south, at least making more competitive if nothing else, and Edwards (only 50 on election day) could be groomed for a 2012 run at the presidency.  Gephardt would be in his early seventies and Clark in his sixties.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »

See why GOP likes this election cycle, the battleground states will mostly in in gore states.

feingold is up for reelection and edwards has said no.

I would like Russ Feingold better than anyone on this list.  The reason being, he tilts the midwest more to our side.  Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Michigan, and Ohio will decide this election.

Out of the choices cited, I would choose John Edwards.  He helps us in the south, at least making more competitive if nothing else, and Edwards (only 50 on election day) could be groomed for a 2012 run at the presidency.  Gephardt would be in his early seventies and Clark in his sixties.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 12:59:54 PM »

See why GOP likes this election cycle, the battleground states will mostly in in gore states.

feingold is up for reelection and edwards has said no.

I still thin Edwards would accept the vP nod if it was offered to him.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 01:12:43 PM »

Clark would add foreign policy, but recent tiff with Dean won't help, plus Clark hasn't said anything about DOMESTIC issues.

Like I said before, I can see Clark as Secretary of State (or Defense) in a Dean administration. He definitely has the credentials for it. But VP is unrealistic, true.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 01:25:22 PM »

Clark would be a good cabinet member.  I would also like Edwards as attorney General, maybe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 01:31:18 PM »

Agreed(what about Gephardt as sec. of Labor?)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 01:35:23 PM »

Agreed(what about Gephardt as sec. of Labor?)
I don't think he would accept.  Kucinich could be secretary of Agriculture.  That way he could tell us how many barrels of corn we produced every year...
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 07:10:35 PM »

Although I think Sen. John Edwards is a good man, and would be a great VP, i doubt he will accept. ON FOX NEWS SUNDAY, he was asked directly about it and he said:

WALLACE: Senator, you have made a point in this campaign of not criticizing your opponents. In fact, you resisted a couple of my efforts today. Some people say that that's a pretty good way to run for vice president.

Do you have any interest in being the vice presidental nominee? And specifically, would you accept it if offered?

EDWARDS: I'm absolutely not interested in being vice president. No, the answer to that question is no.

It's out there clearly he doesn't want it. I hope and think he might if given the oppournity. I don't know why Rep. Harold Ford Jr. is on the list. Ford is a supporter and he endorsed Sen. Kerry for the nomination. Hilliary will be on the list, and I believe so will retiring Sen. Graham. Gen. Clark maybe too. For the rest I doubt it.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 07:12:16 PM »

For all those listing listing candidates like Dick Gephardt, and Kuchinich as cabinet members, I wouldn't get your hopes up. They are negatively attacking Dean who will win the nomination. Clark is the best shot. the next colin powell
DarthKosh

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 07:24:49 PM »

For all those listing listing candidates like Dick Gephardt, and Kuchinich as cabinet members, I wouldn't get your hopes up. They are negatively attacking Dean who will win the nomination. Clark is the best shot. the next colin powell

Clark is not as smart as Powell.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 07:32:31 PM »

The selection of a running mate may give everyone a clear idea of Dean's compaign strategy:
Clark, Edwards, or Ford, would indicate he is going for Southern border states (MO, AR, TN, LA, KY, WV, FL)
Feingold or Gephardt, or another midwesterner: OH, MO, and solidify IA, WI, MN)
Richardson a Southwest strategy: (NV, AZ, CO, solidify NM)
I don't think Kerry or Lieberman would make anything more competititve for Dean

CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 10:25:04 PM »

Yes, you're right. He's smarter! Although I really admire Colin Powell. His wife won't let him run for anything.
jravnsbo

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 12:46:11 AM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up either as Dean will go down in flames no matter his running mate and thus no cabinet positions.

jravnsbo

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2003, 12:48:49 AM »

Yes it will tell us some and I think narrow the map also.  Take away Graham and I think GOP EASILY wins Florida.  Take away Clark and MO and AR become a lot safer.  

I just don't see Gephardt and Dean joining together after there many battles and Gephardt being such an establishment candidate and Dean is running against the establishment in Washington and the Democrat primary.

The selection of a running mate may give everyone a clear idea of Dean's compaign strategy:
Clark, Edwards, or Ford, would indicate he is going for Southern border states (MO, AR, TN, LA, KY, WV, FL)
Feingold or Gephardt, or another midwesterner: OH, MO, and solidify IA, WI, MN)
Richardson a Southwest strategy: (NV, AZ, CO, solidify NM)
I don't think Kerry or Lieberman would make anything more competititve for Dean

swampdude

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2003, 02:02:28 AM »

My gut tells me that Dean will select Wesley Clark as VP candidate, but there will be some fences to mend between them.   John Edwards would give him some credibility in the South, but I don't really think it would help much in the long run.  As a Republican, I can only dream of a Dean/Gephardt ticket!   I can't help but believe that Karl Rove would salivate at that prospect.  Hillary would never allow herself to be connected to a Dean candidacy.  She is planning to be the Democrat party's salvation in 2008.   She may be slicker than Slick Willie!!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2003, 05:13:25 AM »

Grow up...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies