Dean's running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean's running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Dean's running mate  (Read 27023 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2004, 09:00:24 AM »

Maybe it would help cement Black vote for the future but it doesn't gain them a lot as they get most of the black vote now.  

Would be a first though to have a black man on a national ticket, which is interesting.

There's a very interesting piece on Weeklystandard.com entitled "Leftward, Ho?" that speculates that Dean may think he has a chance to win some Southern states by appealing to black voters by putting someone like Kweisi Mfume on the ticket.

It sounds kind of far-fetched to me, but who knows?  Whatever will be will be, right?  We'll just have to wait and see.

"Stop rhyming now, I mean it!
Anybody want a peanut?"

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
jravnsbo

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2004, 10:01:15 AM »

Some areas were high and low, not sure about overall.  But it would also probably turn out white voters as well.

Just how it is.

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2004, 10:26:17 AM »

Some areas were high and low, not sure about overall.  But it would also probably turn out white voters as well.

Just how it is.

You mean racist white voters would be sure to come out and vote against a black candidate?
jravnsbo

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2004, 10:39:07 AM »

Yes sadly.  That is why many think Jindal (R-LA) lost in LA Gov race.

Just how it is.

You mean racist white voters would be sure to come out and vote against a black candidate?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2004, 12:17:13 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2004, 12:19:02 PM by GWBFan »

Just how it is.

Certain white voters would have a hard time voting for a black or female candidate, nationally at least.  Not so much anymore with a female candidate, but still somewhat.  I personally would have no problem (I love Elizabeth Dole, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes), but many would.

The fact that Geraldine Ferraro was a woman might have (and probably did) hurt Dukakis at least a little in 1984.  (He still would have lost without Ferraro, b/c his entire campaign was based around tax hikes.)

In fact, and as much as it pains me to say this, some in my own family (who consider themselves Democrats, I might add) would not vote for a black candidate no matter who he or she is.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2004, 12:28:04 PM »

A lot of white Democrats are like that.  Here in Memphis, whenever we run an African-American GOP candidate, we do well with the white GOP vote but the white Democrats that normally vote for us drop off.

In the GOP, the desperation among activists to gain support in the black community usually makes up for and exceeds the racial voters.  At our last county convention - the argument wasn't over whether we should have more black candidates -- the argument was between an older group that thought all we needed to do was run black candidates, and a younger group that felt we needed to develop a relationship with African-Americans and break down the barriers first before worrying about candidates.
jravnsbo

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2004, 12:39:50 PM »

small note: Modale picked Ferraro.  Which was dumb anyway as she was from NY and added nothing to the ticket except being a woman.

Just how it is.

Certain white voters would have a hard time voting for a black or female candidate, nationally at least.  Not so much anymore with a female candidate, but still somewhat.  I personally would have no problem (I love Elizabeth Dole, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes), but many would.

The fact that Geraldine Ferraro was a woman might have (and probably did) hurt Dukakis at least a little in 1984.  (He still would have lost without Ferraro, b/c his entire campaign was based around tax hikes.)

In fact, and as much as it pains me to say this, some in my own family (who consider themselves Democrats, I might add) would not vote for a black candidate no matter who he or she is.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2004, 12:42:12 PM »

small note: Modale picked Ferraro.  Which was dumb anyway as she was from NY and added nothing to the ticket except being a woman.

Just how it is.

He wouldn't have won, no matter who his VP was.
jravnsbo

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2004, 12:42:44 PM »

I'd be int eh later group.  Show them the dem record and ask what they have gotten for their votes.  Lots of welfare, and affirmative action which is now being struck down a lot, but not much else.

I am always for building for the future, some want it all NOW, but you don't win that way.  You win hearts and minds then you EARN votes.

That is why it is encouraging to see new GOP governor sin so many places.  Change the mindset first.

A lot of white Democrats are like that.  Here in Memphis, whenever we run an African-American GOP candidate, we do well with the white GOP vote but the white Democrats that normally vote for us drop off.

In the GOP, the desperation among activists to gain support in the black community usually makes up for and exceeds the racial voters.  At our last county convention - the argument wasn't over whether we should have more black candidates -- the argument was between an older group that thought all we needed to do was run black candidates, and a younger group that felt we needed to develop a relationship with African-Americans and break down the barriers first before worrying about candidates.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2004, 10:10:19 PM »

If Feingold is picked can he simulataneously run
for Senate in WI?  Or will he have to give up his seat?   I can see the logic of this choice, but I believe his voting record is so liberal that he won't sway enough centrist voters to help.  
Mondale tried Geraldine Ferraro in ' 84 to capture the female vote, but it back-fired.  Clark is the obvious choice but he isn't lighting the wolrd on fire in the polls yet.  Are there any Democrat mayors that qualify???

Yes, he can run simultaneously for senate in Wisconsin.  Lieberman did the same thing in 2000, and when Gore lost, he kept his Senate seat.

Different states have different rules, though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2004, 10:11:43 PM »

If Feingold is picked can he simulataneously run
for Senate in WI?  Or will he have to give up his seat?   I can see the logic of this choice, but I believe his voting record is so liberal that he won't sway enough centrist voters to help.  
Mondale tried Geraldine Ferraro in ' 84 to capture the female vote, but it back-fired.  Clark is the obvious choice but he isn't lighting the wolrd on fire in the polls yet.  Are there any Democrat mayors that qualify???

Yes, he can run simultaneously for senate in Wisconsin.  Lieberman did the same thing in 2000, and when Gore lost, he kept his Senate seat.

I wasn't aware of that.
jravnsbo

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2004, 10:27:42 PM »

SD has a law that says your name can not be ont he ballot to 2 places in the same election.  It was just passed in recent years.  I had some friends introdce it to make Daschle chose to risk Senate seat or run for President.

I wasn't aware of that.
mtwhitney
Rookie

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2004, 10:31:16 PM »

He should pick Carol Moseley-Braun.

Might as well.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2004, 10:41:41 PM »

He should pick Carol Moseley-Braun.

Might as well.
Why is that?  Moseley-Braun would not help electorally at all.
mtwhitney
Rookie

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2004, 10:49:03 PM »

I am saying that he might as well pick her because he does not have a chance anyway.

Sorry, it was a lame attempt at humor.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »

I am saying that he might as well pick her because he does not have a chance anyway.

Sorry, it was a lame attempt at humor.

Very lame Smiley
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2004, 07:36:37 AM »

Clark would help Dean with military credentials, but he may not pull in any southern states.  In the end though it comes down to the top of the ticket anyway.  If Dean lacks electoral strength the VP isn't going to help.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2004, 08:11:52 AM »

Clark would help Dean with military credentials, but he may not pull in any southern states.  In the end though it comes down to the top of the ticket anyway.  If Dean lacks electoral strength the VP isn't going to help.

I read once that the main prurpose of the VP was not to hurt the candidate electorally, rather than help him... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2004, 08:20:31 AM »

Couldnt Al Gore be Dean's running mate?

*sigh*.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2004, 10:27:58 AM »

NO!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2004, 10:47:06 AM »

*sigh*
jravnsbo

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2004, 11:54:39 AM »

Gore could be VP, but won't take it.

Clark MIGHT be able to pull in Arkansas, but that is about it.
DarthKosh

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2004, 01:14:58 PM »

It's doubtfull that he could do it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2004, 01:16:23 PM »

Clark would have a good chance at Arkansas.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »

Clark would have a good chance at Arkansas.

I'm not so sure.  I think he might be able to pull in Arkansas, but you have to remember, Arkansas is a very conservative Republican state.  They haven't been hurt by any of Bush's policies so far, so there's no reason for them to vote against him.  Arkansas doesn't have a high probabililty of going Democrat, like, say, Ohio does.

The only thing Clark has going for him in Arkansas is the fact that he's from Arkansas.  He has never been a governor, senator, or anything else; he's never run statewide in a state that is very pro-Bush right now.  Simply being from a state does not ensure you a victory there.  A good example is Al Gore in 2000, failing to win his home state of Tennessee, which, if he had, would have won him the election.

Now...if Clark was the #1 guy on the ticket, that MIGHT be different.  But being #2 doesn't go as far.

Besides, there's some pretty bad blood between Dean and Clark right now, so I'm not so sure Dean would pick Clark for VP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies