More likely to go blue in 2020: Texas or IN/MO?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:31:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  More likely to go blue in 2020: Texas or IN/MO?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More likely to go blue in 2020: Texas or IN/MO?  (Read 1122 times)
cvparty
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
« edited: May 10, 2017, 12:19:13 PM by cvparty »

These states will be hard fights for Democrats in 2020. But which one would be easier to win, Texas or Indiana/Missouri? (Indiana and Missouri have voted within 2% of each other in the last 12 years, nearly the same)

some stats

year

Texas
margin
+11.8
+15.8
+9.0

lean
+19.0
+19.7
+11.1

Indiana
margin
+10.2
+18.9

lean
+6.2
+14.1
+21.0

Missouri
margin
+0.0
+9.4
+18.6

lean
+7.2
+13.3
+20.7

edit: blue, i.e. non-atlas blue
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

Texas.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »

Assuming Trump runs for reelection, Texas ... but neither will be close.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:54 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 04:41:08 PM by xīngkěruì »

I guess Texas, but none are remotely likely to flip. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Indiana ended up being slightly more Democratic than Texas, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

Texas. I actually thing Democratic chances there are somewhat underrated.

Iowa and Ohio are still more likely to flip than Texas, though.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »

I guess Texas, but none are remotely likely to flip.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »

Texas. I actually thing Democratic chances there are somewhat underrated.

Iowa and Ohio are still more likely to flip than Texas, though.

Broadly agree, but I think Texas is more likely that Iowa at this point.  Ohio is still more likely than Texas, though.  A Sanders-flavored Dem winning by about 5 nationwide would carry Ohio, while Texas would take a suburban-flavored Dem winning by at least the Obama 2008 margin.
AppleJackass
The_Chauvinist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »

Assuming Trump runs for reelection, Texas ... but neither will be close.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »

None. Dems, as I've said over and over again, are not going to spend the money it takes to campaign seriously in Texas when they could spend that money in 5-6 other states instead.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »

None. Dems, as I've said over and over again, are not going to spend the money it takes to campaign seriously in Texas when they could spend that money in 5-6 other states instead.

They've got a good chance to make Cruz's seat pretty competetive, coupled with rising Democratic enthusiasm they have a chance to make some inroads in the state. They should go for it this time.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »

I think that a ten-point popular victory (e.g. 54-44) is roughly the ceiling for either party. If Dems won the popular vote by ten points, I think they'd probably take Texas but not Indiana or Missouri.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »

They've got a good chance to make Cruz's seat pretty competetive, coupled with rising Democratic enthusiasm they have a chance to make some inroads in the state. They should go for it this time.

True.

People also don't realize that Trump isn't super popular in Texas overall.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »

TX will be closer, especially with Drumpf, but neither will be within a margin of seven points.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »

True.

People also don't realize that Trump isn't super popular in Texas overall.

I think people realize that ... they just also realize that a significant segment of Trump's unpopularity comes from Republican and Republican-leaning voters.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »

It depends on the Democratic nominee. Part of the reason why Clinton did so badly in MO and IN was that she was a bad fit for the state. A Midwestern Democrat could probably make them closer than Texas.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »

It depends on the Democratic nominee. Part of the reason why Clinton did so badly in MO and IN was that she was a bad fit for the state. A Midwestern Democrat could probably make them closer than Texas.
I'm certain that had Clinton been the nominee in 2008, using her strategy then, she would have won both IN and MO.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »

Not Texas lol, people forget Indiana went democratic in 2008 and Missouri was like less than a point from doing so, Texas hasn't gone democratic since 1976 on a Presidential level.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »

Texas hasn't gone democratic since 1976 on a Presidential level.
This is literally what they said about Virginia back in the day, with a much longer track record to boot.
I still think IN/MO's much more likely in 2020. But not 2028.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »

I'm certain that had Clinton been the nominee in 2008, using her strategy then, she would have won both IN and MO.

Not sure about Indiana ... Obama had a lot of "neighboring state appeal," and Indiana isn't that populist.  The bulk of its Republican votes come from the Indianapolis suburbs (and Indy itself).  The state GOP is very pro-business.  However, I think Clinton could have also won Arkansas and West Virginia, personally.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »

Not sure about Indiana ... Obama had a lot of "neighboring state appeal," and Indiana isn't that populist.  The bulk of its Republican votes come from the Indianapolis suburbs (and Indy itself).  The state GOP is very pro-business.  However, I think Clinton could have also won Arkansas and West Virginia, personally.

In a >5 point win (particularly in a >10 point win) for either side, some states that flip will just be flukes.  Indiana in 2008 was like MT in 1992 or AZ in 1996.  It didn't really mean anything about the party coalitions going forward.

While 2008 was simply an automatic Dem win after the financial crisis, I think it's clear now that Hillary would have had an equal or lower margin of victory compared to Obama.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »

In a >5 point win (particularly in a >10 point win) for either side, some states that flip will just be flukes.  Indiana in 2008 was like MT in 1992 or AZ in 1996.  It didn't really mean anything about the party coalitions going forward.

While 2008 was simply an automatic Dem win after the financial crisis, I think it's clear now that Hillary would have had an equal or lower margin of victory compared to Obama.

But that could have come in the form of winning WV and MO and losing VA, IN and CO, for example.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »

The only McCain state Clinton might have won is Missouri - and even that one could have gone to McCain, especially with lower AA turnout. She would have lost IN and NC for sure. Not sure about CO, honestly. VA stays Democratic, though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »

But that could have come in the form of winning WV and MO and losing VA, IN and CO, for example.

Colorado and Virginia aren't the best counterexamples. Clinton probably would've won those too. Look how Democrats crushed it there. I think the obvious tradeoffs are NC and IN fact r MO and WV/AR

I just had a faint memory of polls showing McCain beating her in those states but losing in AR and WV.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies