Do you know any "electoral oddballs"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you know any "electoral oddballs"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do you know any "electoral oddballs"?  (Read 3804 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »

In other words, people with an unusual or contradictory voting history. For example, my father was a Nader/Romney voter.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »

My mom doesn't vote, but she forms her opinion of politicians based on how compassionate they seem, so shes one of few people who genuinely likes both George W. Bush and Bernie Sanders. I also have an uncle who lives in Oregon that voted for Trmp while also voting to legalize marijuana, if that counts as an odd electoral history...
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

To add to you your question, does anyone here know anyone who looks/acts differently than what the stereotype of their political ideology is? I know someone who looks like a complete old school hippe, is into all the alternative medicine, rock energy stuff and eastern meditation, and is a big time conservative.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

My mom's mom didn't vote for Hillary because she seemed "out of touch" with the common man but voted for John Kerry, LOL ... I know Trump probably played a part in that, but come on.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2017, 11:06:11 AM by Brittain33 »

My mother voted for Dole in '96 and Gore in '00. She hated Clinton for cheating on Hillary; in 2000 she worried about Social Security and Medicare.

She also didn't vote in '08 or '16 but did vote for Obama in '12. That had everything to do with the men in her life (my late stepfather, me, her then-companion respectively.)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »

Father voted for Trump, van Ostern, and Ayotte; voted for Sanders in the primary. Ended up regretting his Trump vote almost immediately though.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »

I also have an uncle who lives in Oregon that voted for Trmp while also voting to legalize marijuana, if that counts as an odd electoral history...

odd? that's like the majority of reddit Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

Father voted for Trump, van Ostern, and Ayotte; voted for Sanders in the primary. Ended up regretting his Trump vote almost immediately though.

If we are to believe polls, this is quite a common place to be in!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »

My mom doesn't vote, but she forms her opinion of politicians based on how compassionate they seem, so shes one of few people who genuinely likes both George W. Bush and Bernie Sanders. I also have an uncle who lives in Oregon that voted for Trmp while also voting to legalize marijuana, if that counts as an odd electoral history...

I'll fully admit that I am in somewhat of a "bubble" here, but this forum REALLY underestimates the number of Republicans - of all social strata - who vote solidly Republican for any number of reasons but don't really care about things like keeping weed illegal, keeping gay marriage illegal, overturning Roe v. Wade, etc. BUT would might answer as having the more "conservative" view on those issues in a poll, mostly out of group think.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »

lol My father voted for Carter in 1980, then Reagan in 1984.  he didn't like the Bushes, voted for Kerry in 2004, really didn't like Obama, loathed Hillary, voted for Trump even though he called him a clown and continues to say what a scumbucket he is... my father is very cynical about government and trusts no one.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2017, 12:24:50 PM by Crumpets »

I have a friend who changed her support throughout the course of the election from Fiorina to Cruz to Clinton. I also know someone who was a Romney supporter in 2012, wanted Ryan to run in 2016, but started volunteering for Clinton the day she announced her candidacy, and was probably the biggest Hillary hack in my Facebook feed.

My best friend is also a bit of a political weirdo, and the only person who seems to be able to understand the logic of someone like Sprouts. He's a progressive Democrat/borderline greeny who is also a Milo fan, and sees the political center as a greater threat than either extreme. From what I can tell, his support went something like Clinton -> Sanders -> Stein -> Trump -> Stein-but-would-vote-Clinton-in-a-swing-state.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »

My Mom was a very hardcore Democrat up until 2000, voted for Jesse Jackson in the 1984 primary voted straight D through 1996 then started voting Republican in 2000, George W Bush being the first
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »

Several of my friends and I voted Johnson in 2012 and 2016 while voting almost entirely straight Dem otherwise.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »

My mom liked Christie in 2015, reluctantly backed Sanders at the wishes of her kids (read: me and my sibling) in March, mulled Johnson due to dislike of the big two, before coming home to Clinton in November.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »

I also have an uncle who lives in Oregon that voted for Trmp while also voting to legalize marijuana, if that counts as an odd electoral history...

Hence why I wasn't sure if that counted. Tongue

I'll fully admit that I am in somewhat of a "bubble" here, but this forum REALLY underestimates the number of Republicans - of all social strata - who vote solidly Republican for any number of reasons but don't really care about things like keeping weed illegal, keeping gay marriage illegal, overturning Roe v. Wade, etc. BUT would might answer as having the more "conservative" view on those issues in a poll, mostly out of group think.

Yeah, this is true, but I still find it somewhat noteworthy. I just always find t kind of interesting when I see someone hold views that aren't astrologically associated with their "side".
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

My Mom voted twice Obama and then for Trump.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »

My dad didnt vote for reagan, clinton, or w bush, and is an obama/romney/johnson voter.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »

Yeah I'm a Trumper smoking...something...right now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

My Mom voted twice Obama and then for Trump.

that's not anomalous at all
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »

One of my relatives was a Clinton/Vance/Inslee voter. In 2012, she voted Obama/Cantwell/McKenna. She actually used to be a Republican, having voted for Bush in 2000, then third party in 2004.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »

I voted McCain '08, Stein '12, Johnson '16. I also voted for a regional transit tax in '16 (it failed narrowly), which I suppose is odd in being inconsistent with Libertarian orthodoxy.

My dad voted Nixon, Ford, Reagan, but today dislikes the GOP; he liked Bernie Sanders.  My mom voted Carter twice and Dukakis once, but has since grown sour toward the Dems.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »

I dont know about oddball but I have switched between parties before in voting. Well republican libertarian constitution and democrat. Havent voted green yet as Washington is a top 2 and I havent liked their presidential candidates thus far but in 2020 I see myself most likely voting democrat.or green. I supppse making the transistion from once being hardcore republican and then libertarian to possibly green is kind of an oddball change.

Most people I know have been more consistent in voting. Especially for president.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »

I have a friend who has voted Kerry - McCain - Obama - Clinton and otherwise votes mostly or entirely for Democrats. He just had a weird obsession with John McCain.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

My stepdad voted for Reagan in the 80's, Harry Browne in 2000, and Obama in 2012.  I imagine he voted Clinton last year.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2017, 10:11:05 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

2012 - Mitt Romney
2016 (Dem Primary) - Bernie Sanders
2016 - Hillary Clinton

Hilariously, I think this friend regretted voting for both Clinton and Romney within weeks of voting for both.

Another fun one:

2012 (primary) - Santorum
2016 (primary) - Rubio
2016 (general) - Clinton
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies