Opinion of Open Borders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:01:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Open Borders
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Horrible policy (R)

Freedom policy (R)

HP (D)

FP (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Opinion of Open Borders  (Read 2009 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »

How would the American working class benefit from this policy?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »

Because the American population is getting older on aggregate which threatens the future of welfare programs that many in the working class rely on, so an influx of younger immigrants would help combat that concern. Immigrants in general boost the economy by buying stuff.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »

Because the American population is getting older on aggregate which threatens the future of welfare programs that many in the working class rely on, so an influx of younger immigrants would help combat that concern. Immigrants in general boost the economy by buying stuff.

This is a stupid argument, nonetheless, and doesn't help the working class whatsoever, espeically with negatives of such open borders, under capitalist frameworks.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »

This is a stupid argument, nonetheless, and doesn't help the working class whatsoever, espeically with negatives of such open borders, under capitalist frameworks.

Um, care to elaborate? It's no doubt true that white Baby Boomers retiring in droves is going to put increased stress on the welfare state without structural changes.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »

Either you can have a welfare state and restricted borders or no welfare state and open borders, as for me I'll choose the former.
How do you explain Europe? For all of the Schengen zone's flaws, all of its members have a welfare state.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »

Assuming that this would work, why does it require completely open borders as opposed to a simply easier system of immigration?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »

Assuming that this would work, why does it require completely open borders as opposed to a simply easier system of immigration?

I thought open borders was being used as a pejorative for a simpler immigration system, but nevertheless, like Devout said, even in an EU-style open border system, every country has its own, mostly functioning welfare state. However, this comes with a slew of logistical problems, so I'm not advocating for this to be implemented in the United States.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »

Because the American population is getting older on aggregate which threatens the future of welfare programs that many in the working class rely on, so an influx of younger immigrants would help combat that concern.

This argument is fundamentally flawed, as it assumes that poor countries will always have an excess of young people - something that demographic trends have been working against for decades.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »

I mean, define "open borders," please.  If it is the expression given to an increasingly globalized world where it's easier to immigrate, then FP.  If it literally means borders that allow people to go from country to country unchecked, then it's a ridiculous and asinine HP.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »

Either you can have a welfare state and restricted borders or no welfare state and open borders, as for me I'll choose the former.
How do you explain Europe? For all of the Schengen zone's flaws, all of its members have a welfare state.

I was speaking specifically about the United States in that post.
If the US were to open its borders to the world we would likely see a flood of low skilled immigrants. However the counties in the european single market have relatively equal economic opportunity, so you don't see floods of people immigrating from one single market county to another.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »

I mean, define "open borders," please.  If it is the expression given to an increasingly globalized world where it's easier to immigrate, then FP.  If it literally means borders that allow people to go from country to country unchecked, then it's a ridiculous and asinine HP.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »

I believe it is ultimately inevitable, but if done in a way that promotes gigantic sudden movements and permanent underclasses then will lead to reactionary politics and conflict.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

HP.

Immigration and the Courts are my most two conservative issues.  If I were hypothetically in Congress, I'd be willing to strike a deal on damn near anything else... medicare, taxes, defense spending, health care, foreign policy.. you name the issue and I could find a way to compromise on it.

Except on the Supreme Court and immigration.  I'd vote for nationalizing health care, a universal basic income, practically anything before open borders.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »

Borders may be imaginary lines on a map, as leftists are so fond of pointing out; but the cultural differences between the peoples they separate are very real.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »

Borders may be imaginary lines on a map, as leftists are so fond of pointing out; but the cultural differences between the peoples they separate are very real.

I don't know, the cultural difference between different areas of the US can sometimes be greater than, say, the difference between the US and Canada.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »

HP.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »

I don't know, the cultural difference between different areas of the US can sometimes be greater than, say, the difference between the US and Canada.

Yes that's the thing: there was nothing more destructive in terms of cultural diversity than the invention of nation-states. Suddenly everybody, including people who were quite happy to identify as inhabitants of some village or small province was required to adopt the habits, culture and symbolisms of  a distant capital. That is the poison of nationalism: in its very arbitrary splits between people, it bulldozes diversity of thought, and forces ordinary people to align with forces by nature opposed to their interests (I.e. The national elite).
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »

I believe that immigration should be made easier, not harder, but open borders isn't the way to go right now.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »

Literal open borders are a horrible policy which only a deranged libertarian ideologue would advocate.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »

Yes that's the thing: there was nothing more destructive in terms of cultural diversity than the invention of nation-states. Suddenly everybody, including people who were quite happy to identify as inhabitants of some village or small province was required to adopt the habits, culture and symbolisms of  a distant capital. That is the poison of nationalism: in its very arbitrary splits between people, it bulldozes diversity of thought, and forces ordinary people to align with forces by nature opposed to their interests (I.e. The national elite).

That was progressive though; it's not like peasant culture was anything other than parochial and bigoted. Do you think a national health service could have been established if society considered everyone outside one's own parish a foreigner?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies