Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 11:10:43 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Have you fully read a religious text?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: How much of your religion's sacred text (or that of another religion) have you read? And did they "speak" to you?
All of it - more than once   -8 (14.5%)
All of it - once   -7 (12.7%)
Most of it   -7 (12.7%)
Some of it   -9 (16.4%)
None of it   -3 (5.5%)
Yes, they "spoke" to me   -14 (25.5%)
No, they did not "speak" to me   -7 (12.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Have you fully read a religious text?  (Read 2758 times)
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 03:14:00 pm »
Ignore

I just don't get how someone can dislike a book with such fantastic stories. Who can forget Gideon, the least son of the least family of the least tribe of Israel, being the one to drive off the Philistines? Who can forget Joshua's spies in Jericho, in danger of certain death upon discovery, surviving only because a common prostitute named Rahab hid and sheltered them, only for Rahab and her family alone to be exempted from the general slaughter of the people of Jericho after the battle? Who can forget Korah rebelling against Moses, arguing that Moses didn't have a better theological justification for rule than anyone else in the tribes, only for Moses to have God literally open the ground beneath Korah and his followers and drop them straight into Hell? The stories are fantastic and vivid and compelling.

Indeed, but are they moral enough to have adherents to the bible and Christianity ablre to build an worthy ideology around?

Seems these intelligent and moral Jews did/do not think so.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:08 pm »
Ignore

I just don't get how someone can dislike a book with such fantastic stories. Who can forget Gideon, the least son of the least family of the least tribe of Israel, being the one to drive off the Philistines? Who can forget Joshua's spies in Jericho, in danger of certain death upon discovery, surviving only because a common prostitute named Rahab hid and sheltered them, only for Rahab and her family alone to be exempted from the general slaughter of the people of Jericho after the battle? Who can forget Korah rebelling against Moses, arguing that Moses didn't have a better theological justification for rule than anyone else in the tribes, only for Moses to have God literally open the ground beneath Korah and his followers and drop them straight into Hell? The stories are fantastic and vivid and compelling.

Indeed, but are they moral enough to have adherents to the bible and Christianity ablre to build an worthy ideology around?

Regards
DL

These figures aren't supposed to be moral paragons. Look at David, whom the Bible flat-out claims is a "Man after God's own heart." David is a monstrous war criminal with a con artist's heart. That is irrelevant to his status as God's favorite person in the Old Testament. Why? Because David was a heroic figure, a conquering hero, and a man of unshaking faith even when God afflicts him (having his father-in-law go mad and try to murder him, having his first son die stillborn, etc.). The biggest mistake people make when they read the Bible is acting like these people are somehow supposed to be role models. They aren't trying to set a moral example for us.

EDIT: David is one of only two people in the entirety of the Hebrew Bible given the title "Messiah," or God's Anointed One (along with the pagan king Cyrus). The title that Christians put so much stock in for Jesus was only given to two figures in the entire OT, one of whom was a pagan nonbeliever and the other of whom was David, who is a pretty terrible king from a moral point of view. I'm sure if the authors of the Bible were looking for a moral role model to be called the Anointed of God then Josiah or Hezekiah would be called "Messiah" and not David, but they didn't. It's not David's morality or immorality that is at stake, it's his wild success. Unlike Hezekiah, who gave up the doors of the Temple to the Assyrians, or Josiah, who died in combat with Egypt, David won. David conquered Jerusalem. David defeated the Philistines again and again.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:41:28 pm by The Mikado »Logged

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 06:51:20 pm »
Ignore

TL;DR on the previous post:

The Bible is not for seven year olds. Its heroes are not necessarily good people or virtuous people and make no pretension to be so. There are murderers, con artists, thieves, adulterers, and liars in the pages of the Bible and it's because these people aren't supposed to be role models, they're complex, flawed characters.

Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 04:58:37 pm »
Ignore

Regards
DL

These figures aren't supposed to be moral paragons. Look at David, whom the Bible flat-out claims is a "Man after God's own heart." David is a monstrous war criminal with a con artist's heart. That is irrelevant to his status as God's favorite person in the Old Testament. Why? Because David was a heroic figure, a conquering hero, and a man of unshaking faith even when God afflicts him (having his father-in-law go mad and try to murder him, having his first son die stillborn, etc.). The biggest mistake people make when they read the Bible is acting like these people are somehow supposed to be role models. They aren't trying to set a moral example for us.

EDIT: David is one of only two people in the entirety of the Hebrew Bible given the title "Messiah," or God's Anointed One (along with the pagan king Cyrus). The title that Christians put so much stock in for Jesus was only given to two figures in the entire OT, one of whom was a pagan nonbeliever and the other of whom was David, who is a pretty terrible king from a moral point of view. I'm sure if the authors of the Bible were looking for a moral role model to be called the Anointed of God then Josiah or Hezekiah would be called "Messiah" and not David, but they didn't. It's not David's morality or immorality that is at stake, it's his wild success. Unlike Hezekiah, who gave up the doors of the Temple to the Assyrians, or Josiah, who died in combat with Egypt, David won. David conquered Jerusalem. David defeated the Philistines again and again.

I agree, if I can paraphrase your words, that Christians have decided to adore a God of war instead of a moral God.

It seems they only want the perks that that God will give them, even if he has morals that are more Satan-like than God-like.

Most religions have done the same and that is why, they, as the vast majority for a long time now, have gifted us with about 5,000 years of war.

As this link indicates, War is God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

If religious conflict is something you wish to understand further. This is a decent presentation of it's core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDbiqlhAirE

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 05:01:04 pm »
Ignore

TL;DR on the previous post:

The Bible is not for seven year olds. Its heroes are not necessarily good people or virtuous people and make no pretension to be so. There are murderers, con artists, thieves, adulterers, and liars in the pages of the Bible and it's because these people aren't supposed to be role models, they're complex, flawed characters.

True, but you forgot the worst offender. The genocidal son murdering God, Yahweh.

Regards
DL
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
Ignore

God is not nice, God is not friendly. God is a King. I fail to see how that is a problem with the Bible.

Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2017, 10:53:09 am »
Ignore

God is not nice, God is not friendly. God is a King. I fail to see how that is a problem with the Bible.

It is not. They just show a tyrannical King. My way or hell is his only option.

Regards
DL
Arizonian at Heart
Firstdegreeburns
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2017, 06:29:26 pm »
Ignore

Ive read the Book of Mormon and Im currently re-reading it.

Enduro
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
Ignore

I've read the several versions of the Bible. Once attempted to read The Book of Mormon, but stopped like three pages in for whatever reason.

"Above all else, love each other deeply, for love can cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
3D X 31
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Sweden
View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:35 am »
Ignore

Options 2 and 3
All of it once
and most of it
(edit.. yes much of scripture speaks to me)

although I have read a little of the first chapter of the Koran..
much of the Bible and much of Swedenborg
I have read a number of books by Swedenborg
I have read all of the Tao de Ching and the Dhammapada

So if there had been an other option I would have picked that. I don't know if I have ever
read any book twice but I have read many books perhaps more than anyone here, because of
my age (62 on Wednesday), although perhaps not, I think of myself as a superhero of book Geeks

I highly recommend these two sites:

https://parliamentofreligions.org/

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

..for those exploring religious pluralism
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:27:58 am by 3D X 31 »Logged

I'd like to find a support group for internet addicts. The trouble is, they're all online.

"Spock you're the most cold-blooded man I've ever known."

"Why thank you Doctor"

help with posting:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=help;page=post#bbcref
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:51 am »
Ignore

Ive read the Book of Mormon and Im currently re-reading it.

That being the case you will want to view this brilliant link.

https://tune.pk/video/4468309/south-park-tells-about-the-foundation-of-mormonism-and-joseph-smith

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:22 am »
Ignore

I've read the several versions of the Bible. Once attempted to read The Book of Mormon, but stopped like three pages in for whatever reason.

For intelligent reasons.

Regards
DL
DavidB.
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: 1.65

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2017, 11:22:09 am »
Ignore

Some of it; yes.

"If our country says no, it means no. No in referendums on the European Union. No in discussions on immigration. No to ever-increasing bureaucracy. Alas. (...) All of the Netherlands can say #metoo, considering what the party cartel has inflicted upon us all."
- Thierry Baudet (FFvD)

"Say I don't gotta dance, I make money move."
- Cardi B
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
Ignore

Some of it; yes.

I agree.

It is best to choose a religion without any supernatural beliefs and those are Gnostic Christianity, Karaite Jewry and Buddhism.

Regards
DL
DavidB.
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:50 am »
Ignore

What do you agree with, exactly?

"If our country says no, it means no. No in referendums on the European Union. No in discussions on immigration. No to ever-increasing bureaucracy. Alas. (...) All of the Netherlands can say #metoo, considering what the party cartel has inflicted upon us all."
- Thierry Baudet (FFvD)

- Cardi B
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 12:10:43 pm »
Ignore

What do you agree with, exactly?

That some, if not most reasons for ignoring Mormonism are intelligent.

Regards
DL
DavidB.
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2017, 12:46:51 pm »
Ignore

That was not at all what I said. My post was a response to the two questions in the poll, not to your post.

- Thierry Baudet (FFvD)

- Cardi B
Greatest I am
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2017, 04:48:58 pm »
Ignore

That was not at all what I said. My post was a response to the two questions in the poll, not to your post.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards
DL
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:36 pm »
Ignore

As an atheist I've fully read the Gita, which is by far my favourite religious text.

They who have put out the people's eyes, reproach them of their blindness.
America's Sweetheart ❤
TexArkana
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2017, 01:26:30 am »
Ignore

I've never read even parts of a religious text.

"If you could marry any famous person, who would you marry?"
Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
Ignore

The Vulgate and The Book of Mormon.

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, were going to start saying Merry Christmas again. Donald John Trump
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2017, 07:34:10 pm »
Ignore

No, I read the first 5 books of the Old Testament about 10 years ago but I haven't gotten back to it since, I should try to read the whole Bible at some point.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »
Ignore

Several Chick Tracts.  That's how I know my soul is doomed because I play D&D.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout