Your Opinion of Moral Issues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your Opinion of Moral Issues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your Opinion of Moral Issues  (Read 8603 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: May 15, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

This is one of those issues where large portions of the left frustrate me. There's such a preoccupation with leveling hierarchies and dismantling the social structures that support those hierarchies that the harm done by leaving no realistic or sustainable replacement that fulfills the same functions is ignored.

I mean let's be clear about this: it's no coincidence that so many sexual abuse scandals occurred in the 1970s and 80s; i.e. after the collapse of various enforced Moral Orders (which had their flaws and faults and trapped many people, but, it must be admitted, protected others) but before certain mostly feminist derived concerns became mainstream.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »

Just to clarify: I didn't mean institutional abuse in e.g. care homes, closed schooling systems and the like - which in any case would be difficult to measure (even if you could accurately, which is unlikely) exactly 'fairly' because far more institutions of that sort existed in the past - but elsewhere in society (including the various Celebrity Paedo Scandals, though there's an overlap with institutional abuse there). The issue of abuse in junior level football is an interesting case.

Though I'm not sure if the greater willingness to talk has much to do with the collapse of old social/moral order; intuitively of course that makes sense, but does not fit with the timescale (or with how attempts to talk frankly about abuse were met in the 1980s). But does fit with when (again) certain mostly feminist and etc. ideas start to really move into the mainstream.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »

What I struggle with here - and sure others have pointed this out already but what the Hell - is this presumption that the moral standards that I might chose to hold myself to are ones that I would seek to impose on wider society. There are things on this list that I would regard as personally immoral but which I would vehemently oppose any attempt to ban and for which - at least in certain circumstances - I would not judge others for practicing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies