Under-45 voters made their Electoral College bluer than in 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:27:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Under-45 voters made their Electoral College bluer than in 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Under-45 voters made their Electoral College bluer than in 2012  (Read 1613 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 17, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »

This is not surprising. The extreme distaste those born after about 1971 have for Trump was evident in the GOP primaries as well.

As many over 45 will no longer be voting in 2020, I believe this gives Trump reason to worry, even if, as some reports suggest, the next wave of new voters is a bit more "conservative" than the last.

Gen Z is probably gonna be the anti-thesis to millennial. Generation 9/11 grew up on patriotism, support the troops, and war video games like CoD. If anything I expect more of a social libertarian streak but they will not be liberal or more so than millennials on economics and domestic issues. The universe must remain in balance so generation 9/11 must cancel out the SJWs

Practically no portion of GZ is even eligible to vote yet (none are by some measurements). The generation you're describing as "9/11" are Millennials, and with particular note, the events you described occurred concurrently along the politically-formative years of the segment of Millennials who are the most Democratic as a whole (those between 25-30 years old).

The reasons you list for why they'd be Republicans are many of the reasons why they're Democrats in the first place.

Aren't there some polls that suggest younger Millenials are a bit more Republican than older ones?  Or maybe it was just younger White Millenials?  Ancedotally, that is what I have noticed - the people I know who are 26, 27 and 28 tend to be more Democratic than those who are 23, 24 and 25.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »

This is not surprising. The extreme distaste those born after about 1971 have for Trump was evident in the GOP primaries as well.

As many over 45 will no longer be voting in 2020, I believe this gives Trump reason to worry, even if, as some reports suggest, the next wave of new voters is a bit more "conservative" than the last.

Gen Z is probably gonna be the anti-thesis to millennial. Generation 9/11 grew up on patriotism, support the troops, and war video games like CoD. If anything I expect more of a social libertarian streak but they will not be liberal or more so than millennials on economics and domestic issues. The universe must remain in balance so generation 9/11 must cancel out the SJWs

Practically no portion of GZ is even eligible to vote yet (none are by some measurements). The generation you're describing as "9/11" are Millennials, and with particular note, the events you described occurred concurrently along the politically-formative years of the segment of Millennials who are the most Democratic as a whole (those between 25-30 years old).

The reasons you list for why they'd be Republicans are many of the reasons why they're Democrats in the first place.

Aren't there some polls that suggest younger Millenials are a bit more Republican than older ones?  Or maybe it was just younger White Millenials?  Ancedotally, that is what I have noticed - the people I know who are 26, 27 and 28 tend to be more Democratic than those who are 23, 24 and 25.

No. Clinton did as well among 18-24 as she did among 25-29.

Clinton may have, but other recent elections did paint a very different story, including 2014 and very limited data about the very youngest voters in 2012.

My personal guess on this is that Trumpism is unpopular with millennials and even millennial republicans. If Hillary Clinton of all people could get young people strongly on her side (given that they were not excited for her under any circumstance) then clearly it's a problem with Trump himself and perhaps his ideological wing of the Party.

23% of GOP voters aged 18-29 have already defected to the Democrats starting in December of 2015.

Hopefully not gone forever. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies