Is Poland a democratic country? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Poland a democratic country? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
Yes

No

Women, weaker, smaller and less intelligent than men

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Is Poland a democratic country?  (Read 3087 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: May 30, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »

Poland is clearly a democratic country, and although some actions taken by the present governing party seem to indicate they don't have much respect for democratic principles, it's clear that there is still democratic competition (see polling suggesting that Donald Tusk, the bete noire of the present government, is the likeliest winner of the 2020 presidential election) and the country is still a democratic one at a fundamental level. This is particularly weird behavior from PiS since they really weren't like this when they had power 10 years ago and a lot of their leadership has remained the same -- I'd be interested to hear one of our Polish posters explain how and why the party has evolved.

Hungary, on the other hand, is perhaps a more arguable case.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »

Hungary, on the other hand, is perhaps a more arguable case.
No, Hungary is still unambiguously a democracy. However, it's shifting away from liberal democracy.

Hungary, at least in my understanding, has a large governing party which has very strong ties and control over the media and whose two main opponents are an opposition that has been utterly discredited and is incapable of winning, along with a literal neo-Nazi party. I don't know what the situation is on the local level, or how much democracy there might be there, but that really doesn't seem healthy.

"The opposition that can defeat the government doesn't exist" and "the government has very strong ties to the media" aren't necessarily crises in and of themselves (Chretien-era Canada and Berlusconi-era Italy were both clearly democracies, for instance), but put together it seems rather difficult to suggest plausibly how Hungarians might rid themselves of their current government, even if the mechanisms exist on paper. That situation is reminiscent of, say, Chavez-era Venezuela.

I'd also say "illiberal democracy" (which I think is a phrase Orban uses) is a contradiction in terms. You can have dictatorship with democratic elements, but it isn't really democracy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies