NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation  (Read 29500 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« on: May 16, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »

It shouldn't be surprising that comey is taking action now, lol.

His testifying should be fun!

Comey is a private citizen, he can do what he wants against the boss that fired him. Trump hopefully considered that.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »

I'm more concerned about the leaks. Very disturbing.
"These leaks endanger Comrade Stalin's rule!"

leaks are important, but the talking point from the left is that the russian influence was problematic because they only illegally leaked DNC emails and not GOP emails.

Can't the same be said for these illegal leaks? Government workers, who vote democratic by giant margins, are illegally releasing damaging info to influence a presidency.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »

leaks are important, but the talking point from the left is that the russian influence was problematic because they only illegally leaked DNC emails and not GOP emails.

Can't the same be said for these illegal leaks? Government workers, who vote democratic by giant margins, are illegally releasing damaging info to influence a presidency.

But they are leaking evidence of crimes and corruption, not the same thing.

I support leaks like this, but don't you think it would be concerning if things like this happened in the bush, obama, reagan admins, etc, and they never become public knowledge because the leakers don't want to harm their party?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »

Jesus Christ, you don't even give a sh*t about it? That's how blind you've become?

It's always the same I guess, from the Pentagon papers all the way to Snowden. "Dangerous leaks" my ass.

reading comprehension isn't your strong skill, is it? I support a leak like this because it's very important if true.  Where did I call them dangerous, btw?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »

It's stuff like this that shows that demagogues really aren't a threat to this country. If they manage to pass through the first barrier (the electoral college), they will be bogged down with people in government who oppose him/her. Carter was a more tame example of this.

This is pretty interesting to watch.

I cannot wait until comey's book comes out.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

Wow .... marty !
Can you "spin" the story any worse than you already have ?
Get ready America ! Coming soon will be marty's attempt to try to make excuses (deflections) which involve a platypus that loves to eat cockroaches.
Don't miss it ! Buy your ticket to this limited seated show ASAP.

LOL I am not spinning. I believe this story and it honestly makes sense. Comey is a private citizen. He can now take down his boss. I am concerned about this.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »

Can this memo be legally requested to be released?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

The NYT confirms they don't have the memo, but they've "seen it" lol.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if another media outlet confirms this story.

NBC has already confirmed it, and I think CNN has too.

Do you think we will ever find out, sometime long from today, who the main leaker/WH source is?

They'd probably be able to make a pretty lucrative career out of speaking about it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »

Do you think this is likely more of a case of trump simply being unaware and ignorant of what proper conversation with people in government are, or do you think it is more likely him being a willingly corrupt player in all of this.

Either is worrisome, but I don't think you can completely discount the former explanation.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

It's stuff like this that shows that demagogues really aren't a threat to this country. If they manage to pass through the first barrier (the electoral college), they will be bogged down with people in government who oppose him/her. Carter was a more tame example of this.

This is pretty interesting to watch.

I cannot wait until comey's book comes out.

The Carter comparison is apt, albeit for very different reasons/circumstances

I'm not trying to say carter was ever involved in things like this, but he ran a "Washington is full of losers and crooks" type campaign and shocked the political establishment, and he hit a brick wall when he came to washington.

Stuff like this is also why I don't think bernie would have gotten much through congress, for different reasons obviously.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »

apatheticaustrian, I have a question: how are you able to find out news so quickly? Lol. I feel like mere minutes after a twitter account posts something big news-wise, you are posting it here.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »

apatheticaustrian, I have a question: how are you able to find out news so quickly? Lol. I feel like mere minutes after a twitter account posts something big news-wise, you are posting it here.

got 4 open twitter feeds if something breaks and am kind of news-addicted.... and atm there is nearly daily a bombshell in the US. xD

twitter must be loving this trump presidency. Lots of extra traffic provided. lol
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 05:35:46 PM »

Its strange to think that the Flynn investigation probably wouldn't result in direct links between Trump and Russia to be uncovered. Yet trump's 'self-goal' by firing comey is what actually might take him down.

Yea, the comey episode is entirely of trump's doing. I have issues with the other "scandals", but you can't expect a smooth reaction from the fbi when you fire their boss, who they love.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »

Is it normal protocol for an fbi director to keep notes about their meetings with the president? I assume it is, or did comey see his firing coming and wanted enough "revenge material" as possible?

If trump really said what the memo states, how did he expect it not to be leaked?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »

I know it's important for the public to know things as soon as possible, but do you think it is smart tactically to saturate the public daily with a new report? Wouldn't it be wiser to release one, let it fester for a bit for max effect, then release another once all the juice is squeezed out of the other one?

It seems like doing things daily leaves some "juice" unsqueezed. The public has a attention span of about a week on average, and a previous story is likely to be forgotten even more quickly if another story takes its place.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »

I think the thing that is always striking me about these reports is they always seem so coordinated and timed in an engineered manner.

1) At around 5:15 ET is when they are released.

2) other news sites confirm what the previous one had reported, as if one site was "given" the right to release it first.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »

John Kasich is probably thinking he has a chance in the primary in 3 years.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »

POLITICO: It's very rich in detail and hopefully it will come out soon,” the friend of Comey, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told POLITICO. "There are other memos about his meetings too. He wrote down every word Trump said to him as soon as he could."

Well guess we're not done…

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »

Chaffetz:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's a subpoena pen? I want one!
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »

Chaffetz actually doing something? Strange times...

I imagine his constituents are very supportive of this action.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »

This just keeps getting better and better.

No, it keeps getting worse and worse. If the allegations are true, it's not something that is "good" regardless of party. It hurts everyone. Watergate hurt everyone and american trust in gov't has not recovered since.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »

The people you should feel the worst for are the people who voted for trump because they have been economically neglected and thought he was there hope.

Any sort of policy that could help them is probably never going to see the light of day and they will keep on struggling for the foreseeable future. Absolutely no attention is going to be paid to them.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

This tweet is more than 2 hours old. Do y'all go backwards on twitter sometimes?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »

If this did indeed happen in february, doesn't comey have SOME dirt on his face when he said recently there was no pressure?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »

Can we try not ruining this thread with personal attacks?

it's not possible. It just isn't. Go to any forum and it happens.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies