Public Service Announcement: Re: Non-Infracted Disappearing Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:52:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Public Service Announcement: Re: Non-Infracted Disappearing Posts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Public Service Announcement: Re: Non-Infracted Disappearing Posts  (Read 1375 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2023, 07:58:00 AM »

If your post disappears and there is no way it could have reasonably violated the ToS, before you getting upset or assuming bad-faith, please consider the following:

1) Did it quote one or more other posts?  If so, it is quite possible that a previous post in the discussion chain got modded and your post (like any that followed in the discussion chain) was collateral as a result.  This is essentially the “did you try restarting your computer” of reasons for deletion without infraction.  

2) Was your post something that might have technically been a violation of the ToS, but didn’t seem like that big a deal (ex: a harmless joke)?  If so, someone probably reported it and the mod’s hands were tied b/c of ToS, but also thought A) the post in question really wasn’t that big a deal and/or B) the post shouldn’t be counted against you if you somehow found yourself under consideration for sanctions in the future.  

3) If nothing else, feel free to PM TG and/or myself or DM me on discord.  I can only speak for myself, but as long as you’re respectful, I will be happy to discuss the issue in more detail.  

4) If you feel you were unfairly/wrongly modded, again, please don’t hesitate to respectfully reach out (even if the post was deleted without infraction).  I can only speak for myself, but as long as you are respectful, I will hear you out and keep an open mind.  I don’t know how to restore deleted posts (maybe TG does idk?), but you may be able to get the infraction points removed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 08:14:04 AM »

1) Did it quote one or more other posts?  If so, it is quite possible that a previous post in the discussion chain got modded and your post (like any that followed in the discussion chain) was collateral as a result.  This is essentially the “did you try restarting your computer” of reasons for deletion without infraction.

If the only thing objectionable about a post is that it quotes another post, standard practice should be to edit it so as to remove the offending quote, while leaving the poster's own contributions intact. There's a reason mods have the ability to edit posts. It seems deeply unfair to a poster to delete a reply they might have put a lot of thought and effort into just because the person they were replying to is an asshole.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 10:33:28 AM »

1) Did it quote one or more other posts?  If so, it is quite possible that a previous post in the discussion chain got modded and your post (like any that followed in the discussion chain) was collateral as a result.  This is essentially the “did you try restarting your computer” of reasons for deletion without infraction.

If the only thing objectionable about a post is that it quotes another post, standard practice should be to edit it so as to remove the offending quote, while leaving the poster's own contributions intact. There's a reason mods have the ability to edit posts. It seems deeply unfair to a poster to delete a reply they might have put a lot of thought and effort into just because the person they were replying to is an asshole.

Very much agree. This is what I always attempted to do myself when I was a mod, making perhaps rare exceptions when the response to a deleted post without context would have made it essentially nonsensical and offered nothing to the conversation whatsoever. Otherwise, absolutely yes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:32 AM »

I used to do what you’re suggesting (despite it often being a ton of extra work), but folks screamed bloody murder about it so often that I don’t do it anymore.  For better or worse, the posts quoting it now get deleted too and I don’t see that changing at this point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »

I used to do what you’re suggesting (despite it often being a ton of extra work), but folks screamed bloody murder about it so often that I don’t do it anymore.  For better or worse, the posts quoting it now get deleted too and I don’t see that changing at this point.

I don't know who was complaining and why, but as far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome to delete the quote an leave the rest of the post intact. I get that it takes a couple clicks more but I don't think it's too much to ask given that I also try to put effort in my replies.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »

If a post of mine is removed I would strongly prefer that it be infracted so I can at least find it in my "Moderated Posts" page.  I've had a few posts disappear -- totally innocuous posts, so I'm assuming simply because they were part of larger threads that got disappeared -- and had absolutely no idea what happened to them.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 03:03:24 AM »

I don't know who was complaining and why, but as far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome to delete the quote an leave the rest of the post intact. I get that it takes a couple clicks more but I don't think it's too much to ask given that I also try to put effort in my replies.

Completely agreed. I’d rather have the infraction honestly; at least then I can look back at my moderated posts and see what I wrote. Memoryholing a post shouldn’t be allowed.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 03:17:36 AM »

Where would we be without Mr X?

Nowhere, that's where.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length