Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:01:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 202082 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »

I'm not calling anyone out in this thread, but overall, this thread is an example of what is wrong with American politics. We are essentially in campaign mode 24/7, much more concerned with politician numbers than with policy. Furthermore, our number 1 goal is not to deal with policy, but to defeat our political "enemies", aka the other side.

This is a problem on both sides and I do not see it ending anytime soon. If a democrat gets into office in 2020, I think you'll see immediate opposition from the republicans.

It's a problem in the modern era when peddling constant outrage and opposition sells at the polls, while coming together to form policy doesn't sell at all.

It's a mirror opposite of post ww2 america.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »

I'm not calling anyone out in this thread, but overall, this thread is an example of what is wrong with American politics. We are essentially in campaign mode 24/7, much more concerned with politician numbers than with policy. Furthermore, our number 1 goal is not to deal with policy, but to defeat our political "enemies", aka the other side.

This is a problem on both sides and I do not see it ending anytime soon. If a democrat gets into office in 2020, I think you'll see immediate opposition from the republicans.

It's a problem in the modern era when peddling constant outrage and opposition sells at the polls, while coming together to form policy doesn't sell at all.

There's some truth in what you say, but it's not the whole story.  Of course there are people who are happy to see Trump, or whoever is President, do badly.  (I'll admit to a bit of this myself at present, although perhaps it's more a sense of seeing my expectations fulfilled than partisanship.)  But let's not forget that policy and approvals go hand in hand.  If Trump were executing policies that were more popular, and if his administration wasn't so inept, his numbers would be much better.  Not great, but certainly better.  Tracking the numbers as a reflection of the President's policies and their execution is something of interest to political observers like us, regardless of which side they favor.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »

Lol, cry me a river.

Your president is deeply unpopular and pushes for terrible legislation. So save me the bothsides, moral preening bull****.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

There's some truth in what you say, but it's not the whole story.  Of course there are people who are happy to see Trump, or whoever is President, do badly.  (I'll admit to a bit of this myself at present, although perhaps it's more a sense of seeing my expectations fulfilled than partisanship.)  But let's not forget that policy and approvals go hand in hand.  If Trump were executing policies that were more popular, and if his administration wasn't so inept, his numbers would be much better.  Not great, but certainly better.  Tracking the numbers as a reflection of the President's policies and their execution is something of interest to political observers like us, regardless of which side they favor.

Unequivocally, 100% true
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »

Lol, cry me a river.

Your president is deeply unpopular and pushes for terrible legislation. So save me the bothsides, moral preening bull****.

You misread my post. Trump in many ways deserves low approvals right now. Slow, half-assed legislation and constant investigation intrigue is deserving of scorn. BUT, that doesn't mean politicians in congress don't have a duty to craft policy they were elected to put forward. Sometimes we forget that it is the legislation branch that is supposed to form legislation and vote on it, while the executive branch can veto and execute.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Trump is currently at his worst net approvals in all three major polling aggregators.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2017, 12:56:08 PM by Yank2133 »

Lol, cry me a river.

You misread my post. Trump in many ways deserves low approvals right now. Slow, half-assed legislation and constant investigation intrigue is deserving of scorn. BUT, that doesn't mean politicians in congress don't have a duty to craft policy they were elected to put forward. Sometimes we forget that it is the legislation branch that is supposed to form legislation and vote on it, while the executive branch can veto and execute.

Well, this isn't a "bothsides" problem, but a GOP one.

Democrats have been willing to work on things like infrastructure and the ACA for years now, it is the GOP who shuts down any attempts to do so.

You want a functional legislative branch, then you have to get rid of the GOP.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »

The Republicans have gerrymandered their way into control of Congress. If they still can't pass bills, don't blame the Democrats. The last Democratic Congress (2009-2010) was very productive.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »

Lol, cry me a river.

Democrats have been willing to work on things like infrastructure and the ACA for years now, it is the GOP who shuts down any attempts to do so.

You want a functionally legislative branch, then you have to get rid of the GOP.

We'll see. Trump admin is currently pitching infrastructure. If a bill comes up in congress, you have a duty to vote for it if you support better infrastructure. Period.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

Lol, cry me a river.

You want a functionally legislative branch, then you have to get rid of the GOP.

We'll see. Trump admin is currently pitching infrastructure. If a bill comes up in congress, you have a duty to vote for it if you support better infrastructure. Period.

Trump's infrastructure plan is a privatization scam. Democrats shouldn't vote for a **** bill just because Trump calls it infrastructure.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »

Also, didn't marty literally vote for a guy who punched a reporter in the face?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »

Also, didn't marty literally vote for a guy who punched a reporter in the face?

I don't live in montana.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »

It's Trump who is creating this energy. He's an awful person - so awful that he instantly galvanized a massive movement against him. If the winner was someone like Jeb, I doubt I'd have any interest in keeping daily tabs on his approvals (eg the latest objective assessment of his failure as a president). Trump, on the other hand, through his shady dealings and corrupted behavior just makes me want to count down the days until we can vote out the Republicans who largely refuse to conduct proper oversight unless they have no other option.

I get what you're saying, and what I said above isn't good behavior, but Trump isn't just any other president. If you could step into my shoes, or the shoes of millions of other people on the other side, you'd understand.

I believe they have a duty to vote for it if only a fraction of the money is in the form of privatization schemes, which I expect from the GOP. What I don't support is Trump and Republicans wasting hundreds of billions of dollars on ineffective private sector deals that will barely address a very serious problem, possibly create new problems, and then hamstring us in the future by leaving people who actually want to solve the problem with no money to do so.

I would much rather them do nothing than push forward with a plan that resembles what has been talked about so far.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »

Lol, cry me a river.

Trump's infrastructure plan is a privatization scam. Democrats shouldn't vote for a **** bill just because Trump calls it infrastructure.

For all we know, Privatization of ATC could be a great thing, on the other hand, it could just lead to more plane beatings.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

Campaign mode rightly ends on or before Inauguration Day. President Trump has been ineffective in pushing the New Feudalism that the Hard Right wants -- the "Christian and Corporate State" in which 95% of the people suffer for 2% in return for vague promises of Pie-in-the-Sky-When-You-Die. The attempt by President Trump to tout his non-existent landslide win (even if the Electoral College result is analogous to that of JFK in 1961 or Carter in 1976, neither of them using their levels of electoral wins as justification for calling for the Other Side to give up forever.

This President still acts much like a dictator, the sort who believes that the election that brings him to power ends all political debate forever. He violates so many norms of American political life  that he cannot fail to lose support.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

With a President having an approval rating in the high thirties or lower (and this is with me assuming that today's Q poll is a transitory freak), I expect the Republicans to endure an electoral bloodbath in 2020 as their 2014 wave in the Senate is reversed. If Democrats have not turned the House in 2018, then they do it then. I expect President Trump to be seen as a catastrophic failure, after which an Obama-like President gets every chance he needs to turn America around.   

The Right organized a virulent campaign of opposition against President Obama from practically Inauguration Day, smashing every Obama policy possible. Now we have a President acting more like Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier (brutal dictator of Haiti who, like Trump, won with demagoguery in a free election) than like any prior President of the United States.

But something else happened:  the disappearance of the Moderate Republicans, the sorts of people who were viable alternatives to Democrats who went a bit too far on policy. Instead we have liberals and near-fascists. We get to choose between watered-down versions of Scandinavian-style Social Democrats and people who would like America to resemble Franco's Spain. You know how the latter went -- if you disliked the oppression and poverty, then either emigrate or go to Church to plead to God to give strength to accept the hideous life that you endure.   

The Lunatic Fringe took over the Republican Party, and it now has the President as a willing accomplice.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »

GOP really going to go to bat for a President with a 34% approval rating?

Gallup doesn't show that yet...

But who are you going to go to bat for if you are down 7-2 in the second inning?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2017, 12:49:56 AM by pbrower2a »

It's likely an effort to turn public infrastructure over to private entities that exact monopoly profits out of what used to be free or modestly-priced. If that's all it is, then we might as well put up  with the crumbling infrastructure until we get the opportunity to do as well without the high price tag.

There are times in which waiting makes sense. Most often a stopgap is available. Traffic jams are unpleasant. Losing mobility because one is priced out as a policy of a monopolist who prices a service into the stratosphere is even worse.
jdk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.68, S: -5.39

« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

Trump is currently at his worst net approvals in all three major polling aggregators.
Three?  I know of RCP and 538, but what's the third one?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »

Three?  I know of RCP and 538, but what's the third one?

Huffington Post: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/trump-job-approval
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »

Trump down to 79.2% approve / 17.0% disapprove among Republicans in the HuffPo aggregate:

link
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2017, 08:13:03 PM by Zyzz »

The whole release is worth reading.  It's full of terrible numbers for Trump on a variety of issues.

Fake polls! Remember how much Trump loved spamming Twitter with the primary polls that had him ahead? I remember a few months ago as well Trump posted a random lulzmussen poll that had him in positive numbers. Being so hated so early must be devastating for such a egotistical narcissist.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »

As long as Trump is winning alt-right Twitter polls then his base will still call him successful.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2017, 09:23:23 PM »

Trump down to 79.2% approve / 17.0% disapprove among Republicans in the HuffPo aggregate:

link

An there it is
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »

The Lunatic Fringe took over the Republican Party country, and it now has the President as a willing accomplice.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »

When do congressional Republicans begin backing away from Trump? Mid 30s approval is low but what does it need to be in order for mainstream republicans to distance themselves? I'm not referring to moderates like Ros-Lehtinen or Comstock who are already distancing themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies