Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 201849 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:37 AM »

By god.... The House election is gonna be a bloodbath.
Unfortunately not. The House is so gerrymandered that at best the Democrats barely regain nominal control of the House.

If it's at 34% now, imagine how low it will be in by the midterms, especially if the Government shuts down over wall funding.

Your approval will return to normal in a week, do not let your fantasies cloud your mind

Normal is 37%, @bruhgmger2 is right.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #1201 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »

Unfortunately not. The House is so gerrymandered that at best the Democrats barely regain nominal control of the House.

If it's at 34% now, imagine how low it will be in by the midterms, especially if the Government shuts down over wall funding.

Your approval will return to normal in a week, do not let your fantasies cloud your mind

If friend, ossoff and hillary also won the election.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1202 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »

If friend, ossoff and hillary also won the election.

Butter emails!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #1203 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »

The fact is, even on a good day, Trump's approval has a ceiling of 40%, and that is not a good sign for the Republicans in the house.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1204 on: August 15, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 12:15:36 PM by heatcharger »

Monmouth:

Approve 41% (+2)
Disapprove 49% (-3)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1205 on: August 15, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »

According to the tweet, they were 39/52 in July, so that should be -3 on Disapprove.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1206 on: August 15, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »

Booooo
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1207 on: August 15, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »

Millennials FTW
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1208 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »

Here's a summary of how much Trump approval has dropped in the Gallup poll since Day 1 among various sub-groups; it's quite amazing how relatively uniform the drop has been (7-11 points for most categories) among groups that overwhelmingly supported him, opposed him and were lukewarm about him alike:

(Open in new tab for full-sized image)

Where he's lost the most ground: Midwesterners, independents, $60-100k, 30-49 year-olds, HS grads (~12 points)
Where he's lost the least ground: Liberals, Democrats, Southerners, 18-29 year-olds, conservatives (~ 6 points)

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1209 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »

But people keep saying that young millennials are right-wing!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1210 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »

Are there any old millenials? Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1211 on: August 15, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »

To be fair, the most Democratic Millennial cluster has now mostly crossed over into the 30-49 category; according to that old NYT (I believe) graphic I recall, it's those between the ages of 29-32 (yay me!) or so that were most pushed into the Democratic Party by Bush.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1212 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »

People will be running against President Trump in 2018 and 2020.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1213 on: August 16, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »

There's often a distinction drawn between "old millennials" (27 to 37) and "young millennials" (18 (or really 17) to 27), with the argument that old millennials, who came of age during the Bush presidency, are extremely Democratic/liberal but young millennials, who came of age during the Obama presidency, are much less so. There's never been much/any real evidence for this other than some dubious polls, but it's not an uncommon view.

Worth pointing out also that the youngest voters in 2020 will be non-millennials born after 2000.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1214 on: August 16, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »

There's often a distinction drawn between "old millennials" (27 to 37) and "young millennials" (18 (or really 17) to 27), with the argument that old millennials, who came of age during the Bush presidency, are extremely Democratic/liberal but young millennials, who came of age during the Obama presidency, are much less so. There's never been much/any real evidence for this other than some dubious polls, but it's not an uncommon view.

Worth pointing out also that the youngest voters in 2020 will be non-millennials born after 2000.

Interestingly enough, all those original Bush/"initial" Obama voters who voted very heavily Democratic in 2008 are now mostly in their 30s and very late 20s, and they have shifted the 30-39 (and 30-44 overall) substantially more Democratic. Not quite like 18-29 but still significantly so.

I think it would be fair to say that older Millennials are a little less Democratic at best. It's really the young genx voters (36 - 44) that are majority Democratic but a lot less so than Bush/Obama young people.

* generational age ranges vary a bit of course
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1215 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »

I think it would be fair to say that older Millennials are a little less Democratic at best. It's really the young genx voters (36 - 44) that are majority Democratic but a lot less so than Bush/Obama young people.

I'm 44, and it's weird how my generation used to be the most Republican. We had the "values voters" of the early 2000s.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1216 on: August 16, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »

The common idea that older millennials would be open to the GOP would be true if they GOP would moderate a la Huntsman, etc. but since that is not happening they won't and will stay Dem in huge numbers (analogous to the FDR Dem coalition). I am an older millennial and voted for Dem for the first time in '16 and support Northam here in VA because of how far to the right the GOP has gone.

I would, however, support a Centrist or Moderate Party should the GOP split in half, or should those parties become a real thing here in the US but that is some time off, imo.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1217 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »

The common idea that older millennials would be open to the GOP would be true if they GOP would moderate a la Huntsman, etc. but since that is not happening they won't and will stay Dem in huge numbers (analogous to the FDR Dem coalition). I am an older millennial and voted for Dem for the first time in '16 and support Northam here in VA because of how far to the right the GOP has gone.

I would, however, support a Centrist or Moderate Party should the GOP split in half, or should those parties become a real thing here in the US but that is some time off, imo.

Yup, me too. Grew up GOP but it'll be a looooong time before I even consider going back.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1218 on: August 16, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »

Yup, me too. Grew up GOP but it'll be a looooong time before I even consider going back.

Same, need hard moderation and sane policies. Problem is at least 40% of the party (likely bigger) doesn't care about anything except "making libs cry".
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1219 on: August 16, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »

-Overall, nearly two in three Americans, 64% up slightly from 60% in March, report they are embarrassed by President Trump’s behavior.  29%, comparable to 30% previously, say they are proud.
Those 29% that are somehow still "proud" of Trump's behaviour are probably completely out of reach of common sense. So that is likely Trump's floor almost regardless of what he does. Sad that the number is that high. You pretty much know which side of the Charlotteville "debate" these guys are on.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1220 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »

@Mondale, that graphic is telling and further provides the evidence of a Balkanization of America. The fact that high % of Trump voters say white persecution is a thing here in the US is mind-boggling but they really do believe it. Per my other post in the other thread, the die-hard GOP is at the us vs. them stage at this point.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1221 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »

A lot of Republicans see this as a smear campaign against Trump. Kind of like how the Democrats have been moving to the Bernie wing most Republicans look up to Trump rather than the GOP establishment.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1222 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Sadly, Trump knows what he's doing with his response. He is playing right into what a lot of righties already believe. "He did condemn the neo-Nazis, but the media just doesn't hear it. Good for him for calling out those crazy left BLM thugs too."
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1223 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »

Two big takeaways-

1. 48% of Trump supporters think white nationalists are either "right" or "have a point"

2. 31% of the public think the president supports white nationalism.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1224 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

Sadly, Trump knows what he's doing with his response. He is playing right into what a lot of righties already believe. "He did condemn the neo-Nazis, but the media just doesn't hear it. Good for him for calling out those crazy left BLM thugs too."

Increasing his popularity with a shrinking minority at the expense of decreasing his popularity with a growing majority isn't a winning strategy. 
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies