2017 Virginia HoD Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2017 Virginia HoD Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Author Topic: 2017 Virginia HoD Thread  (Read 62267 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

The solution is lane expansion (being done), capped prices (not being done due to the need for funding expansion via other means, i.e., taxes, which the HoD won't go for), and rail extension which, naturally the downstate folks won't pay for because BIG GUBMINT, EVIL UNIONS (they are doing extensions of WMATA out to Dulles but that still has taken decades and it is still not finished.

Sir, the WMATA expansion to Dulles broke ground in 2009 and will be done in 2020. Let's tone down the hyperbole. Also lol at the idea that the solution is lane expansion. Find out what induced demand is. Yes, it is fine that an additional eastbound lane is being constructed inside the Beltway since it'll be consistent with the rest of the highway, but we don't need massive freeways cutting through beautiful Arlington County. Not everyone needs to drive, okay?

Anyways I was just angry that these vicious Democrats think they're doing something heroic by calling for the suspension of these tolls. This is useless virtue signaling, and hopefully they'll quit it once they're reminded they can't have free stuff.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »

The solution is lane expansion (being done), capped prices (not being done due to the need for funding expansion via other means, i.e., taxes, which the HoD won't go for), and rail extension which, naturally the downstate folks won't pay for because BIG GUBMINT, EVIL UNIONS (they are doing extensions of WMATA out to Dulles but that still has taken decades and it is still not finished.

Sir, the WMATA expansion to Dulles broke ground in 2009 and will be done in 2020. Planned for decades prior to 2009, takes 11 years to finish, and way over budget. The US used to do this in a few years, even skyscrapers were planned and built in the early twentieth century in less time without high tech tools of today.Let's tone down the hyperbole. Also lol at the idea that the solution is lane expansion. Find out what induced demand is. They know what it is, increased population, not enough high density lanes, old bridges squeezing and backing up traffic to and from D.C.Yes, it is fine that an additional eastbound lane is being constructed inside the Beltway since it'll be consistent with the rest of the highway, but we don't need massive freeways cutting through beautiful Arlington County. Not everyone needs to drive, okay?Faulty logic, not including massive population growth and people that may move here in the coming decades thus necessitating freeways.

Anyways I was just angry that these vicious Democrats think they're doing something heroic by calling for the suspension of these tolls. This is useless virtue signaling, and hopefully they'll quit it once they're reminded they can't have free stuff.It's not about free stuff, it's about the fact the the DoT said the highest price would be $17 and not everyone that drives on 66 is so rich that they can piss away $40 bucks a day one way at the highest price range of the toll. They have said it may go even higher depending on the traffic on the given day.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

A bunch of Democrats trying to be populist heroes called for the new tolls on I-66 to be suspended.

Horrible. Congestion pricing is the way I-66 traffic gets better. Sad to see Democrats pander to people who work in D.C. but are too pretentious to take the Metro. I'm deeply disappointed in my Delegate-elect. Wulfric mode: I'll have revoke my endorsement of Jennifer Wexton until she stops these shenanigans.

This is the same thing as when Uber had the same problem with peak pricing and, after a backlash, announced a maximum 'peak' price.

It's really not the same. It is a cap vs. amount of traffic based fee, the latter of which was the compromise in order to get the funding issue passed by McDonnell. The traffic here is horrendous and the population expected to almost double within 20 years. It is unsustainable. The issue re this was I-66 which is a faster (albeit not by much) route alternative to the back ways to get to Arlington or D.C. I-95 is not as bad but still pretty bad. It takes me an hour or more to drive 20 miles one way, twice a day, to and from work. I-95 also has a severe backup issue in that for 20 miles or so it takes 2.5 hours or more due to SEVERE backup heading into Fredericksburg. VA thinks this can be solved by adding EZPass lanes that get clogged up themselves on occasion due to the sheer number of drivers, accidents, etc. That EZPass section won't be finished until at least 2022.

In short, it is a massive political and infrastructure CLFK, and population growth here isn't helping. You have to live and drive in NoVA in order to understand it fully. If you don't you won't truly grasp it.

Thanks for the correction.  However, in this case, I feel like Manuel in Faulty Towers "kay?"
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »

Excuse me, but VDOT never claimed that $17 would be the peak toll. And guess what, the daily averages have been below that. The invisible hand is working its magic.

And I agree that $40 is too much to drive inside the Beltway. Here are some old-fashioned solutions: take the Metro or stick one person in your car and drive it for free just like before. Let me reiterate: these tolls are not affecting anyone who was driving on I-66 for free before.

People are just whining because they think tolls are unfair even if they aren't actually paying them. The people who can afford to pay it will get a faster (and maybe cheaper compared to Metro) ride than before; the people who can't will continue to commuting the exact same way as before. And oh yeah, because of this there will be more money in the pot for the I-66 improvements outside the Beltway.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2017, 03:48:38 PM by Angry Socdem »

A bunch of Democrats trying to be populist heroes called for the new tolls on I-66 to be suspended.

Horrible. Congestion pricing is the way I-66 traffic gets better. Sad to see Democrats pander to people who work in D.C. but are too pretentious to take the Metro. I'm deeply disappointed in my Delegate-elect. Wulfric mode: I'll have revoke my endorsement of Jennifer Wexton until she stops these shenanigans.

40$ fees are utterly ridiculous

This. Though personally I think that the carpool lanes should be brought back. Or, test a system in which tolls apply but only to single drivers (this has several ways in which it could go wrong, i.e. "how to check number of people efficiently", but...it could work).

Also if we're going to talk about sub-optimal transportation policy, let's talk about the express lanes on 495. When I lived in VA I would leave at the ass crack of dawn and still get conjested traffic because of the bottleneck at American Leigon.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »

40$ fees are utterly ridiculous

This. Though personally I think that the carpool lanes should be brought back. Or, test a system in which tolls apply but only to single drivers (this has several ways in which it could go wrong, i.e. "how to check number of people efficiently", but...it could work).

Also if we're going to talk about sub-optimal transportation policy, let's talk about the express lanes on 495. When I lived in VA I would leave at the ass crack of dawn and still get conjested traffic because of the bottleneck at American Leigon.

There needs to be another bridge across the river between MoCo and Fairfax.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »

Maybe you should keep up with the news, young man. What you just advocated for is EXACTLY what is being implemented right now. The "carpool lanes" haven't gone anywhere. Single drivers were not allowed at all on the road before, and now they are with the caveat of paying a toll.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »

why the f**k does it takes weeks to even start a recount???
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2017, 09:46:53 PM by Angry Socdem »

Maybe you should keep up with the news, young man. What you just advocated for is EXACTLY what is being implemented right now. The "carpool lanes" haven't gone anywhere. Single drivers were not allowed at all on the road before, and now they are with the caveat of paying a toll.

Alright, fair enough. I plead ignorance, and largely retract my initial position. To be fair, I've never actually used I-66 during peak hours anyway, so both functionally and literally, I'm just another out-of-state interest.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »

HD-40 recount underway in Fairfax and PWC.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »

What's the likely verdict?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

Hugo's picked up 2 votes in one Fairfax precinct and 1 in a Prince William precinct so far. Hugo had a 106 vote lead going into today; I'd say he's favored to survive.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »

Survives this time, probably gets trounced in 2019.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

I meant likely verdict in regards to the balance of power in the state legislature.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »

What about the one where the Republican was leading by 12 votes?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2017, 07:28:41 PM by heatcharger »

I meant likely verdict in regards to the balance of power in the state legislature.

Pretty much comes down to the HD-94 recount where the R leads by 10 votes, and that recount will start on Dec. 19. If everything holds it will be a 51-49 R majority.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Recount done in both counties. Tanner picked up 14 votes; Hugo picked up 7 votes. Hugo wins by 99 votes.
Duke of York

« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »

Pretty much comes down to the HD-94 recount where the R leads by 10 votes, and that recount will start on Dec. 19. If everything holds it will be a 51-49 R majority.
if the recount in HD-94 overturns the elections day result it will be 50-50.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: December 19, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »

It's getting close in HD94:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #219 on: December 19, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

It's getting close in HD94:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Go go go!
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »

The democrats better not rig the election!
Even if yancy holds by 1 vote it’s over the gop holds the HOD.

What happens if there is a tie?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »

The democrats better not rig the election!
Even if yancy holds by 1 vote it’s over the gop holds the HOD.

What happens if there is a tie?

Power sharing agreement with awkward repercussions for the future. If such a situation occurs, expect a dem or a rep to be pulled away by the chamber to break the tie.

If tie in direct votes, then the winner is determined by lot apparently - drawing a name out of a hat.

Any news on HD 28 - addressed to anyone here? If the court end up throwing it out then: A. Whoever wins HD 94 gets to elect the speak due to a 50-49 HoD, and B. if Dems win HD 94 then HD 28 special becomes a 'national' race to decide who controls the chamber - similar to SD-45 in WA.

Also we should expect dems to gain votes here - Dems did in the 2013 recount. It has something to do with minorities not marking their choice in the prescribed manor - @NotLarrySabato had a better explanation back in November but I can't find it. The question is, will dems pick up enough votes.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: December 19, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

Count on Lunch break right soon - currently 10/24 counts margin stands at 5 votes.

For the two precincts that were counted since out 1/3 update, Simmons and Yancy both picked up a vote - making the gains negligible.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »

Reema Amin‏ @reemadamin
Yancey picked up three votes in the Hidenwood precinct, 11th one counted.

1:29 PM - 19 Dec 2017

https://twitter.com/reemadamin?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Yancey +8 votes now.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »

Vote lead is currently either Yancey +7 or +8, there may have been some kind of discrepancy.

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943189555557097473
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies