DCCC expands their target list (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DCCC expands their target list (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DCCC expands their target list  (Read 9222 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 22, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

Wow, all of them are conservative districts.

Agreed, though I think a candidate with strong Bernie support could win in NY-21.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:13 AM »

I'll be happy if Democrats pick up even one of these seats

They should put everything they would put into these into winning Paul Ryan's seat, the people there dislike him.

Agree, if you are going to possibly contest these seats, WI-01 is in the same range.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »

Would you mind posting the link where you got the list from?

Also very happy to see the MO-2nd on the list.

It was from a tweet with no link, but it was reported by lot of mainstream reporters.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »

I'm surprised that my congressman made it on this list since he seems inoffensive and uncontroversial and in a comfortably Republican district.
low

Assuming you're in VA, I wouldn't call either Garrett or Brat "inoffensive" or "uncontroversial." Fair point about them being in comfortably Republican districts, although it makes sense that they would be listed as wave insurance.

Hell, Garrett is pro (ish) pot. He voted against the first obamacare repeal. He's no Robert Hurt, but he's also no Virgil Goode. I cant think of anything Garrett has said or done that would single him out from a generic republican. If Colonel tobacco lobbyist couldn't get elected in the 5th against a generic republican, I dont know who can.

I was thinking of that "small potatoes" comment he made. Obviously not enough to beat him by itself, but I wouldn't call him "inoffensive." Plus he voted in favor of the second Obamacare repeal attempt, which is what matters (unless there's a third one later).

And yeah, both Dakotas should be targeted, although I'm not optimistic about either.

VA-05 is probably Safe R from here on out.  It's VA-07 that merits more Democratic effort going forward.  It voted like GA-07 last year and it could be a future GA-06 or TX-07 in the 2020's, so building up infrastructure now is important.  Think of all the random people running for the GOP in 2010 in the historical coal mining districts in WV/KY/VA.  Because the seat was R+Yuge all through the 1990's and 2000's, there practically isn't a local Dem party there right now.

If the Democrats ever get total control in VA and could gerrymander, connecting the Charlottesville area with the Richmond area not in CD-4 could be doable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies