Centrist "United Utah Party" founded
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:57:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Centrist "United Utah Party" founded
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Centrist "United Utah Party" founded  (Read 1576 times)
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:59:03 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680509/Frustrated-Utah-Republicans-Democrats-form-new-centrist-political-party.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They're hoping to nominate someone to run for Chaffetz's seat this November. I wonder if McMullin will join it.

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »

These people need to realize that utah's aversion to trump is not that he is too right wing, it's that he is an a-hole.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »

Remember the Justice Party lol?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »

Making a far left party in Utah? What could go wrong?

I think this could go a bit further than the Justice Party. Having McMullin as their UT-3 candidate could boost them if he runs.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »

Unless McMullin gets with this, it probably won't go anywhere.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »

These people need to realize that utah's aversion to trump is not that he is too right wing, it's that he is an a-hole.
Angrie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »

As long as Joe Lieberman doesn't try to somehow get involved, maybe they have a chance. No, not really.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »

As long as Joe Lieberman doesn't try to somehow get involved, maybe they have a chance. No, not really.

United Utah Party for Lieberman.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »

I think this could go a bit further than the Justice Party. Having McMullin as their UT-3 candidate could boost them if he runs.

McMullin is extremely right-wing, so that ain't happening.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »

"Extreme" is a bit much, but he is basically everything the Republican Party (and everything that Atlas hated pre-Trump) stood for until 2016. That is what makes him particularly disgusting, besides the fact that he worked for the banks and the CIA.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »

But he has a centrist personality compared to Trump.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »

I'd vote for them.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »

Oh if only we had a Utah secessionist party, clearly this is what I've been clamoring for.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »

Speaking as an actual Utahn and staunch Democrat, I find these guys to be laughable. They're basically former party loyalists who nobody actually liked, and who grasped for power and lost. There's more founding members mentioned on the Salt Lake Tribune article, so I'll go through them.

Vaughn Cook for example, lost to the ultra-liberal and completely tone-deaf Mike Weinholtz for the Utah Governor's race. Jonathan Swinton lost to Misty Snow, who is basically the worst fit for Utah politics (I do think that her being transgender was a big issue in socially conservative Utah but her being a grocery store clerk was also an issue).

The main founder, Richard Davis, lost to actually pretty moderate Peter Corroon for the Utah Democratic Chair spot back in 2014, and has been badmouthing the Utah Dems in Deseret News editorials ever since. And Jim Bennett... probably has a valid point with the Utah GOP, so yippee for him.

This party will not win anything higher than a city council seat unless the Utah Dems stand aside for them and they somehow manage to defeat a Republican. I don't even think McMullin will join with them. They're pathetic, and bitter from the get-go.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:22:06 AM »

Speaking as an actual Utahn and staunch Democrat, I find these guys to be laughable. They're basically former party loyalists who nobody actually liked, and who grasped for power and lost. There's more founding members mentioned on the Salt Lake Tribune article, so I'll go through them.

Vaughn Cook for example, lost to the ultra-liberal and completely tone-deaf Mike Weinholtz for the Utah Governor's race. Jonathan Swinton lost to Misty Snow, who is basically the worst fit for Utah politics (I do think that her being transgender was a big issue in socially conservative Utah but her being a grocery store clerk was also an issue).

The main founder, Richard Davis, lost to actually pretty moderate Peter Corroon for the Utah Democratic Chair spot back in 2014, and has been badmouthing the Utah Dems in Deseret News editorials ever since. And Jim Bennett... probably has a valid point with the Utah GOP, so yippee for him.

This party will not win anything higher than a city council seat unless the Utah Dems stand aside for them and they somehow manage to defeat a Republican. I don't even think McMullin will join with them. They're pathetic, and bitter from the get-go.
That is exactly why McMuffin will join them!
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 01:29:45 AM »

Glad to hear a Utahn's opinion on this. I won't get my hopes up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies