Opinion of mainstream media
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:50:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of mainstream media
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of mainstream media?
Excellent. It serves a useful function.

Very good, but is overly controlled by a few large corporations, which censor unpopular or inconvenient news stories

Very good, but it's too far left

Very good, but it's too far right

Not good. I'd prefer to rely on alternative media for most news.

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of mainstream media  (Read 2262 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

What is your opinion of mainstream media? (NY Times, WSJ, Washington Post, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NPR, BBC).

The reason I preface most options as "very good" is to recognize the concept of media as such, as an outstanding human achievement.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »

Fox is MSM?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »

Yes, it is. Why wouldn't it be?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

Have an increasing tendency to become superficial and sensationalist clickbait, but still light-years ahead of so-called "alternative" media in terms of quality.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »

So this poll is basically the same thing as asking people what their favorite city in America is and including Rhode Island as an option.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »

So this poll is basically the same thing as asking people what their favorite city in America is and including Rhode Island as an option.
No, if I wanted to ask people their favorite MSM source, I would have created a poll listing all of the above MSM outlets, with an "Other" option.

I am interested in people's overall perception of the MSM, as distinct from "alternative" news sources such as Project Censored, Breitbart, various urban alternative newspapers, the Blaze, Facebook, the town crier, etc.

Rhode Island? You mean one of the choices doesn't belong?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »

The MSM is hot trash and you can see the deterioration happening almost in real time. I still follow it because it is a convenient way to aggregate, and you can get a pretty complete picture by following multiple sources and taking their biases into account.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »

I prefer alternative media, but that has negative connotations these days thanks to Alex Jones and his ilk.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »

Both "mainstream" and "alternative" media are trash. (normal)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »

If it's written, it's liable to being centrist stupidity or too far right. But valid points are still raised once in a while. The Atlantic is still good as always.

If it's on TV, it sucks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »

option 2 is the most correct answer, but it's all very subjective
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »

I trust C-SPAN and C-SPAN alone.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »

The second one, but I personally prefer The Daily Beast. It's a great website and news source which does not cover up the truth.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »

I mean, it's reliable in that it really isn't going to churn out serious falsehoods, but at the same time, it's worth knowing that the MSM is self-interested and profit driven, which totally affects the way it frames and propels certain narratives. The false equivalency it built between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, for example, was astonishing and disturbing. The stories weren't untrue, but I would say the way the narrative unfolded as a constant "counter-punch" to Trump's very real bulls-it was exceptionally unfair.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »

Both "mainstream" and "alternative" media are trash. (normal)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »

Truly awful. The media collectively--both ideological media like Fox and faux-impartial like CNN have done damage to this country that will take decades to fix, if it is ever repaired. The complete reduction of every story to fit a narrative (or simply the reporting of narrative with no story at all), the total lack of awareness about their own philosophical assumptions, the endless pedantic drivel in the face of whomever reaches their crosshairs, and their sensationalist leapings from one shiny distraction to the next have greatly assisted in pushing the country to outright hatred of the opposite political side, to the point where any equivocation is treated by the masses as apostasy. The fact that most of them hate Donald Trump is hilarious considering how hard they worked to get him elected, intentionally in the primary and unintentionally in the general. The American people do not fully understand the degree to which the media is destroying this country.

And that also goes for most of the Alternative Sources.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 11:37:35 PM »

Absolute trash
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »

Too far right. The reporters are great, heroes who put their lives on the line every day for democracy, but the corporate masters they work under are cretins who unfortunately gave Trump $1 billion free coverage.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »

Too far right. The reporters are great, heroes who put their lives on the line every day for democracy, but the corporate masters they work under are cretins who unfortunately gave Trump $1 billion free coverage.

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 11:43:06 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/

Still trying to use Russian stolen e-mails to attack the Democratic party, and then expect the Democrats to do your bidding?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 11:44:19 PM »

Still trying to use Russian stolen e-mails to attack the Democratic party, and then expect the Democrats to do your bidding?

Regardless of which conspiracy theory you subscribe to about how these emails were released, they have been DKIM verified to be genuine, and so that's just deflection.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »

Regardless of what conspiracy theory you subscribe to about how these emails were released, they have been DKIM verified to be genuine, and so that's just deflection.

I don't knowing choose to make myself agents of foreign propaganda when I can.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »

Gawdawful
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »

This.  And what TJ said.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »

I mean, it's reliable in that it really isn't going to churn out serious falsehoods, but at the same time, it's worth knowing that the MSM is self-interested and profit driven, which totally affects the way it frames and propels certain narratives. The false equivalency it built between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, for example, was astonishing and disturbing. The stories weren't untrue, but I would say the way the narrative unfolded as a constant "counter-punch" to Trump's very real bulls-it was exceptionally unfair.

this, more or less
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies