Why are Berniecrats so obsessed with Tulsi Gabbard?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:14:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why are Berniecrats so obsessed with Tulsi Gabbard?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are Berniecrats so obsessed with Tulsi Gabbard?  (Read 4542 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »

She's more conservative than Hillary, is an Assadist, has a pretty conservative pre-congress record, voted for extreme vetting of refugees, etc. why are they so on board with her other than the fact she had a falling out with the DNC?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »

She stepped out and endorsed Bernie at a time when they felt like their backs were against the wall. To them going against the DNC showed an impressive level faith in Sanders vision. When you feel like you have no friends in congress you'll take anybody you can get.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »

because she has the same type of appeal
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »

I'll just copy and paste what I said about this in another thread:

Separate from where you land on the left-right spectrum there’s the question of how establishmentarian you are.  I think Averroes commented recently about how one of the biggest determinants of whether a voter went with Clinton or Sanders in last year’s primary is to what extent they view the Democratic Party as having been a force for good, as opposed to being a fatally compromised institution that enables reactionary policies.

For better or worse, there are certain issue positions that at least a certain set of activists read as a proxy for establishing anti-establishment bona fides.  And opposition to the mainstream foreign policy consensus in the US is one of them.  Because of issues like that, Gabbard would fit in at the “People’s Summit” in a way that many members of Congress whose voting records put them to her left would not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

She's been shifting to the left and taken liberal positions on a variety of issues. She's for single payer, against the Saudi weapons deal, against NSA bulk wiretapping, against arming Syrian jihadists, and so on.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »

I don't like her. She pretends to be a moderate and a progressive at the exact same time. However, I understand that people endorse candidates for a reason, and she probably aligns much, much more with Sanders than most other Democratic politicians.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »

She is very problematic to me. I would never vote for her.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »

She's one of the biggest politicians to endorse Sanders. Plus she's young and a potential rising star.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »

I'm a Bernie guy an that woman makes my skin crawl
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »

They aren't.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »

Why is this forum so obsessed with hating her?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »

They are.

See how easy that was?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »

Something something Assad something something BJP something something

The amount hate for her on this forum is irrational.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »

I see that she is one of 64 Democrats who signed Korean war vet John Conyers' letter urging direct negotiations with North Korea. I am heartened by her move and cautiously optimistic. Not supporting her yet, but if she wants to be a force for good in this world, I am not going to turn it down.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 12:25:33 AM »

I think many Berniecrats have sort have begun to blur the line that separates being a Progressive and being Anti establishment, yes the two usually go together, but they always claim Gabbard is a progressive...but as everyone knows she isnt, shes just simply anti establishment and in the eyes of berniecrats that means she is a progressive.
Another example of this blurring of the line is seen with Liz Warren,one of the most progressive in american government but yet to these guys,her own wing of the party, she isnt because shes "establishment"
Unfortunately these same people will make every primary election in the future a "proxy war" when it really doesnt have to be.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 01:30:56 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 10:15:41 AM by Shadows »

How is she more conservative that Hillary when she has even before endorsing Bernie opposed TPP, supported strong environmental laws, opposed regime change etc. As of now she supports Marijuana decriminalization, Single Payer, Glass Steagal, is one of 7 in Congress to not take any PAC/Lobbyist money. So she has moved left & people are happy.

Berniecrats are happy she jeopardized her whole career & endorsed Bernie when he lost in SC by 50% points & when his campaign was supposed to end in Super Tuesday (That takes guts). She was warned by the Clinton machine that her career could be damaged but she did it anyways.

Be she is not a strong progressive Democrat so she is in no ways, the heir to Bernie & neither do the Bernie folks consider it. The only people are the Clinton hacks in this forum who want to constantly talk about her & try to destroy her career (Clinton maintains loyalty scores & purges people from the party who object !)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 02:59:03 AM »

Honestly I just don't care about her anymore until she actually runs for something higher than Congress.
bilaps
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »

Because this is forum of Hilary democrats, they hate anyone or anything not pro Hillary, doesn't matter if it's Bernie wing of the party, Trump, Biden etc.
bilaps
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:20 AM »

She's more conservative than Hillary, is an Assadist, has a pretty conservative pre-congress record, voted for extreme vetting of refugees, etc. why are they so on board with her other than the fact she had a falling out with the DNC?

She is not Assadist. But even Assadist is better than jihadist
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

Because she's not likely to even run but gets way over talked as a potential candidate. 39 year old backbencher Congresswoman not even from the continental US who has even expressed interest in running.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »

Every Bernie supporter I know hates her because she criticized Islam. Protecting Islam is the most important issue to the modern left, it trumps all other issues social and economic. She could never win a national Democratic primary, certainly not with the support of the college left.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »

Honestly I just don't care about her anymore until she actually runs for something higher than Congress.

Well there's no federal office higher than Congress other than the presidency, and the presidency doesn't open up until 2020 at the earliest, so...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »

Very few real people who voted for Bernie even know who she is.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »

Well there's no federal office higher than Congress other than the presidency, and the presidency doesn't open up until 2020 at the earliest, so...
Well, I mean Senator or Governor.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

I think she will crash and burn pretty fast if she ever runs for anything outside of Hawaii. Not that I think she can't lose an election in Hawaii.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies