Dean's running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean's running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dean's running mate  (Read 26986 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 30, 2003, 12:54:21 PM »

I would like Russ Feingold better than anyone on this list.  The reason being, he tilts the midwest more to our side.  Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Michigan, and Ohio will decide this election.

Out of the choices cited, I would choose John Edwards.  He helps us in the south, at least making more competitive if nothing else, and Edwards (only 50 on election day) could be groomed for a 2012 run at the presidency.  Gephardt would be in his early seventies and Clark in his sixties.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 12:59:54 PM »

See why GOP likes this election cycle, the battleground states will mostly in in gore states.

feingold is up for reelection and edwards has said no.

I would like Russ Feingold better than anyone on this list.  The reason being, he tilts the midwest more to our side.  Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Michigan, and Ohio will decide this election.

Out of the choices cited, I would choose John Edwards.  He helps us in the south, at least making more competitive if nothing else, and Edwards (only 50 on election day) could be groomed for a 2012 run at the presidency.  Gephardt would be in his early seventies and Clark in his sixties.
I still thin Edwards would accept the vP nod if it was offered to him.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 01:25:22 PM »

Clark would be a good cabinet member.  I would also like Edwards as attorney General, maybe.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 01:35:23 PM »

Agreed(what about Gephardt as sec. of Labor?)
I don't think he would accept.  Kucinich could be secretary of Agriculture.  That way he could tell us how many barrels of corn we produced every year...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 11:09:31 AM »

For all those listing listing candidates like Dick Gephardt, and Kuchinich as cabinet members, I wouldn't get your hopes up. They are negatively attacking Dean who will win the nomination. Clark is the best shot. the next colin powell

Clark is not as smart as Powell.

Grow up...
good post Al.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 03:25:57 PM »

Listen to what we can do with Feingold:
Solidfy Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, open up Ohio, and Mizzo.  Edwards could Open up Arkansas, Louisiana, maybe Mizzo, and NC, but he wouldn't solidfy anything.  Calrk would have the same effect.

Gephardt won't run with Dean after they have been ripping each other's heads off for months now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 03:36:05 PM »

Solidfy Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, open up Ohio, and Mizzo.  Edwards could Open up Arkansas, Louisiana, maybe Mizzo, and NC, but he wouldn't solidfy anything.  Calrk would have the same effect.

Gephardt won't run with Dean after they have been ripping each other's heads off for months now.
VPs really don't do that much other then fill the ticket.
They can help regionally.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 03:38:08 PM »

VPs really don't do that much other then fill the ticket.
They can help regionally.
Not really.  The top of the ticket is what get's people out to vote.
VP's do matter somewhat.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 03:45:03 PM »

Agreed(what about Gephardt as sec. of Labor?)

Never happen.  Gepardt and Dean hate each other.  Just like Gepardt and Gore hate each other.

That's what I've been saying.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 04:18:58 PM »

If Dean is going to pick a southerner he should go with Edwards.  Edwards could appeal to the upper south, something that Graham can't do.  Edwards would also only be 58 in 2012; Graham would be 75.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 04:46:54 PM »

But Edwards doesn't want the job and Graham does, that is obvious.

If Dean is going to pick a southerner he should go with Edwards.  Edwards could appeal to the upper south, something that Graham can't do.  Edwards would also only be 58 in 2012; Graham would be 75.
I still think Edwards would tak it if it is offered to him.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 09:05:07 PM »

I can't think of a logical choice for a Dean's VP.  I would think that he'd want to balance the ticket geographically which rules out Lieberman, Kerry, Biden, among others.  It seems as though he'd want someone experienced to run with him which pretty much kills Edwards as a realistic choice.  He might not want two anti-war candidates on the same ticket.  If so, that rules out Clark and Graham.

Gephardt wouldn't take the no. 2 spot I don't think.  Who's left?
FEINGOLD
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 12:47:25 PM »

Why pick Edwards?  He is not even popular in his own state.
Hello from Melbourne international!

Well, he would put the other southern states in play, even if he doesn't do that with NC.  Arkansas and Tennessee would be brought into toss-up range.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 12:52:16 PM »

Why pick Edwards?  He is not even popular in his own state.
Hello from Melbourne international!

Well, he would put the other southern states in play, even if he doesn't do that with NC.  Arkansas and Tennessee would be brought into toss-up range.

Edwards flatly refused any offers to be VP.  I don't know if he'll stick to it, but not doing so would hurt his credibility.  That wouldn't be a good thing seeing as Dean already has a credibility gap of his own.
I think Edwards would accept the VP slot if it is offered to him.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 01:10:35 PM »

If Feingold is picked can he simulataneously run
for Senate in WI?  Or will he have to give up his seat?   I can see the logic of this choice, but I believe his voting record is so liberal that he won't sway enough centrist voters to help.  
Mondale tried Geraldine Ferraro in ' 84 to capture the female vote, but it back-fired.  Clark is the obvious choice but he isn't lighting the wolrd on fire in the polls yet.  Are there any Democrat mayors that qualify???

Yes, he can run simultaneously for senate in Wisconsin.  Lieberman did the same thing in 2000, and when Gore lost, he kept his Senate seat.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 06:52:44 PM »

I don't like McAullife.  He has done more bad than good if you ask me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2004, 10:41:32 PM »

Yeah losing Terry would be the worst part of Dean getting the nomination for us Republicans Smiley

I don't like McAullife.  He has done more bad than good if you ask me.
You're not the only Republican that I've heard saying that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2004, 10:50:40 PM »

Bill Clinton should be the next leader of the DNC.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 11:00:04 PM »

Honestly that would be a good idea; but Dean will e picking it so no chance!

--Hey thought you were going to the Orange bOwl or something?

Bill Clinton should be the next leader of the DNC.
I'm in the back of the box on the Dell.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 12:42:12 PM »

small note: Modale picked Ferraro.  Which was dumb anyway as she was from NY and added nothing to the ticket except being a woman.

Some areas were high and low, not sure about overall.  But it would also probably turn out white voters as well.

Just how it is.

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You mean racist white voters would be sure to come out and vote against a black candidate?

Certain white voters would have a hard time voting for a black or female candidate, nationally at least.  Not so much anymore with a female candidate, but still somewhat.  I personally would have no problem (I love Elizabeth Dole, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes), but many would.

The fact that Geraldine Ferraro was a woman might have (and probably did) hurt Dukakis at least a little in 1984.  (He still would have lost without Ferraro, b/c his entire campaign was based around tax hikes.)

In fact, and as much as it pains me to say this, some in my own family (who consider themselves Democrats, I might add) would not vote for a black candidate no matter who he or she is.
He wouldn't have won, no matter who his VP was.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2004, 10:11:43 PM »

If Feingold is picked can he simulataneously run
for Senate in WI?  Or will he have to give up his seat?   I can see the logic of this choice, but I believe his voting record is so liberal that he won't sway enough centrist voters to help.  
Mondale tried Geraldine Ferraro in ' 84 to capture the female vote, but it back-fired.  Clark is the obvious choice but he isn't lighting the wolrd on fire in the polls yet.  Are there any Democrat mayors that qualify???

Yes, he can run simultaneously for senate in Wisconsin.  Lieberman did the same thing in 2000, and when Gore lost, he kept his Senate seat.

Different states have different rules, though.
I wasn't aware of that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2004, 10:41:41 PM »

He should pick Carol Moseley-Braun.

Might as well.
Why is that?  Moseley-Braun would not help electorally at all.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »

I am saying that he might as well pick her because he does not have a chance anyway.

Sorry, it was a lame attempt at humor.

Very lame Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2004, 01:16:23 PM »

Gore could be VP, but won't take it.

Clark MIGHT be able to pull in Arkansas, but that is about it.
Clark would have a good chance at Arkansas.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2004, 06:04:47 PM »

So pick a state and choose an avatar!
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies