Dean's running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean's running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dean's running mate  (Read 27007 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« on: December 30, 2003, 12:26:08 PM »

Seeing how Dean has had so much success with the Internet, wouldn't it be cool if he had a poll asking voters who should be his running mate?

I doubt many Dean supporters would like Clark - he's tried time and time again to stop Dean (with no success, I might add).  Edwards would be Clark with no "stop Dean" credentials.  But judging by Edwards failure to even beat Kucinich in some polls, I doubt he'd be a possibility.

Dick Morris thinks Hillary might be the VP pick of Dean, but who knows?  The Clinton's have tried their own "Stop Dean" scenarios (enter Clark), so they might be out too.

Harold Ford, Jr. would be a good pick.  Or John Lewis from my state of Georgia.  Lewis wouldn't win GA for Dean, but it could help some - along with other southern states.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 12:17:13 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2004, 12:19:02 PM by GWBFan »

Some areas were high and low, not sure about overall.  But it would also probably turn out white voters as well.

Just how it is.

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You mean racist white voters would be sure to come out and vote against a black candidate?

Certain white voters would have a hard time voting for a black or female candidate, nationally at least.  Not so much anymore with a female candidate, but still somewhat.  I personally would have no problem (I love Elizabeth Dole, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes), but many would.

The fact that Geraldine Ferraro was a woman might have (and probably did) hurt Dukakis at least a little in 1984.  (He still would have lost without Ferraro, b/c his entire campaign was based around tax hikes.)

In fact, and as much as it pains me to say this, some in my own family (who consider themselves Democrats, I might add) would not vote for a black candidate no matter who he or she is.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »

Gore could be VP, but won't take it.

Clark MIGHT be able to pull in Arkansas, but that is about it.
Clark would have a good chance at Arkansas.

I'm not so sure.  I think he might be able to pull in Arkansas, but you have to remember, Arkansas is a very conservative Republican state.  They haven't been hurt by any of Bush's policies so far, so there's no reason for them to vote against him.  Arkansas doesn't have a high probabililty of going Democrat, like, say, Ohio does.

The only thing Clark has going for him in Arkansas is the fact that he's from Arkansas.  He has never been a governor, senator, or anything else; he's never run statewide in a state that is very pro-Bush right now.  Simply being from a state does not ensure you a victory there.  A good example is Al Gore in 2000, failing to win his home state of Tennessee, which, if he had, would have won him the election.

Now...if Clark was the #1 guy on the ticket, that MIGHT be different.  But being #2 doesn't go as far.

Besides, there's some pretty bad blood between Dean and Clark right now, so I'm not so sure Dean would pick Clark for VP.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 02:12:16 PM »

Clark is a Clintonite.

Dean is not. He has gone out of his way to bash the Clinton wing of the party (DLC)

Gore hates Clinton. That is why he endorsed Dean.

If Dean picks Clark, it would be with his nose pinched.

I agree.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »

Defeated in 2002, by now Senator Saxby Chambliss, who was  a House member.

Yea, Cleland won't be anyone's running mate now, not after he lost in 2002.  Maybe if he hadn't been defeated...

Just like Roy Barnes, the former governor here who was also defeated in 2002.  Barnes was at one time considered a possible presidential candidate.  Not anymore.  bwahahaha.  That's right: takin' 'em out one by one here in Georgia.

Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies