Dean's running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean's running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dean's running mate  (Read 27021 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: December 30, 2003, 07:48:05 AM »

It depends on whether Dean is the crazy liberal the reps make him out to be. If he is pragmatic he will balance the ticket with someone more to the right, like Clark or Lieberman. If he is going to go all the way he will chose a cloned version of himself. Reagan chose Schweiker in 1976 in a desperate attempt to sway liberal republicans over to his side at the convention but it didn't work. Then he chose Bush the second time, who was arguably close to him. Usually a candidate makes a pragmatic choice, but you never know with Dean...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 08:07:01 AM »

For all those listing listing candidates like Dick Gephardt, and Kuchinich as cabinet members, I wouldn't get your hopes up. They are negatively attacking Dean who will win the nomination. Clark is the best shot. the next colin powell

Clark is not as smart as Powell.

Grow up...

I agree.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 04:05:56 PM »

TN will not be in play no matter what.  Frsit will be there reminding them that he is majority leader and can do more for TN with a GOP President.

Are you in Australia, Miami?

If Dean is going to pick a southerner he should go with Edwards.  Edwards could appeal to the upper south, something that Graham can't do.  Edwards would also only be 58 in 2012; Graham would be 75.

Why pick Edwards?  He is not even popular in his own state.
Hello from Melbourne international!

Well, he would put the other southern states in play, even if he doesn't do that with NC.  Arkansas and Tennessee would be brought into toss-up range.

The last time I checked, Melbourne was in Australia. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 04:09:12 PM »

TN will not be in play no matter what.  Frsit will be there reminding them that he is majority leader and can do more for TN with a GOP President.

Are you in Australia, Miami?

If Dean is going to pick a southerner he should go with Edwards.  Edwards could appeal to the upper south, something that Graham can't do.  Edwards would also only be 58 in 2012; Graham would be 75.

Why pick Edwards?  He is not even popular in his own state.
Hello from Melbourne international!

Well, he would put the other southern states in play, even if he doesn't do that with NC.  Arkansas and Tennessee would be brought into toss-up range.

The last time I checked, Melbourne was in Australia. Smiley
There is a Melbourne, Florida.
Not the last time I checked.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 09:00:24 AM »

Maybe it would help cement Black vote for the future but it doesn't gain them a lot as they get most of the black vote now.  

Would be a first though to have a black man on a national ticket, which is interesting.

There's a very interesting piece on Weeklystandard.com entitled "Leftward, Ho?" that speculates that Dean may think he has a chance to win some Southern states by appealing to black voters by putting someone like Kweisi Mfume on the ticket.

It sounds kind of far-fetched to me, but who knows?  Whatever will be will be, right?  We'll just have to wait and see.

"Stop rhyming now, I mean it!
Anybody want a peanut?"

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 10:26:17 AM »

Some areas were high and low, not sure about overall.  But it would also probably turn out white voters as well.

Just how it is.

But what about turnout? I thought there was low turnout amoong black voters, but I could be wrong.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You mean racist white voters would be sure to come out and vote against a black candidate?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 08:11:52 AM »

Clark would help Dean with military credentials, but he may not pull in any southern states.  In the end though it comes down to the top of the ticket anyway.  If Dean lacks electoral strength the VP isn't going to help.

I read once that the main prurpose of the VP was not to hurt the candidate electorally, rather than help him... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 08:20:31 AM »

Couldnt Al Gore be Dean's running mate?

*sigh*.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 10:27:58 AM »

NO!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 10:47:06 AM »

*sigh*
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »

JR has an avatar! That means I'm now the only person here who doesn't have one... I feel so alone... (sniff)...

Actually, it would be better if you had one if you are gonna take part in the campaign as a Democrat.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 06:07:23 PM »

Yeah, then maybe we can win Wyoming! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 06:11:03 PM »

I could. The thing is, part of me feels alone and lonely and left out, cry, bawl. Another part of me thinks, hey, cool, I'm different and like such an individual, dude. So I'm thinking about it. I may choose Illinois, since I used to live in Chicago... or I could choose Arizona, though the fact that I really really like it there may not be that convincing a reason... but then nobody else here has AZ as their avatar, which would mean I'm like really different and like such an individual, dude. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

LOL.

Come on, just pick one! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2004, 06:20:01 PM »

Good! A bit odd, but good! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 06:32:02 PM »

If it's an odd choice then I am very happy indeed. Smiley

Oh, it's odd allright. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2004, 06:41:07 PM »

well DC is very liberal so a democrat would fit right in.  Onlly place with EV not to vote for both parties at least once.  They have even voted for Mondale and McGovern.

And back to running mates...
JR always tries to bring things back to their original topics.

Yeah, he is turning into another Ryan! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2004, 06:50:12 PM »

exactly and its getting annoying, his posts numbers are going up but should go back and count how many are without substance.  He always responds even if he doesn't say anything anymore.

Beginnign to know what cable 24 hr news is like.

I did see SSen Nelson of FL rumored and even John Breaux as possible VPs.

well DC is very liberal so a democrat would fit right in.  Onlly place with EV not to vote for both parties at least once.  They have even voted for Mondale and McGovern.

YOU are turning into Ryan, trying to keep threads on topic. MiamiU is himself, the only one who is comparable to him is DarthKosh. Why the big worry about post numbers, they aren't that important are they? Wink Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2004, 06:53:15 PM »

exactly and its getting annoying, his posts numbers are going up but should go back and count how many are without substance.  He always responds even if he doesn't say anything anymore.

Beginnign to know what cable 24 hr news is like.

I did see SSen Nelson of FL rumored and even John Breaux as possible VPs.

Jravnsbo attacks me again.  what is it you have a problem with?  My culture?  My heritage?  My race?  My sexuality?

No silly. Your post numbers. Are you gay, colored? Or what? Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2004, 06:58:07 PM »

What about my post numbers?

I am white and heterosexual.  Smiley

They are running close to jravnsbo's. I think he thinks you are going past him by cheating, in making short, non-political posts. Or maybe he wants to keep the board serious... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2004, 07:13:08 PM »

PASS ME i COULD CARE LESS  read this discussion you just had.

you are posting meaningless posts just as bad as john.  when I see you talk about politics instea dof mindless chatter I'll be back if ever.

Wow. You seem to be feeling really strongly about this? You can't actually compare it with John, he was not communicating with anyone. I try to post in all political discussions where I feel I have something to contribute, as well as having a good time. Are there other opinions in this matter?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »

Mike wanted to choose a new avatar.  So me and Gustaf helped him out.
For the record, I did not suggest the avatar he eventually picked. No offense Mike. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2004, 05:18:08 PM »

I don't know whether you wanna discuss this at all, or if we're gonna leave it.

I do try to post on all serious issues where I feel I have something to say and which interest me. And I also try to have a little fun in between. What I don't really see is what you guys are getting so up-set about? The main reason for this occuring was that few other people were making any serious posts. There is really nothing stopping you from starting discussions, and when you do I will gladly participate.

I just realized you will probably get mad at me for posting this in the "Dean's running mate"-thread...

As I said, if you wanna discuss what the posting should be like on the forum, I am ready to compromise, as I have stated before. I would like it if we could all get along... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »

I don't know whether you wanna discuss this at all, or if we're gonna leave it.

I do try to post on all serious issues where I feel I have something to say and which interest me. And I also try to have a little fun in between. What I don't really see is what you guys are getting so up-set about? The main reason for this occuring was that few other people were making any serious posts. There is really nothing stopping you from starting discussions, and when you do I will gladly participate.

I just realized you will probably get mad at me for posting this in the "Dean's running mate"-thread...

As I said, if you wanna discuss what the posting should be like on the forum, I am ready to compromise, as I have stated before. I would like it if we could all get along... Smiley
You are entitled, gustaf.  I don't think Jravnsbo's point is valid.  If he takes it up with the moderator and Leip has a problem with me, that's a different story.

Leip didn't have a problem with John, so I can't imagine him having a problem with, well, almost anything, but certainly not all this.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 11:36:54 AM »

As far as electoral politics, Bob Graham would be an obvious choice.

Graham, the Democratic senator from Florida who quit the presidential race, may have been positioning himself as VP choice long before Edwards.

If Dean can get Florida and run enough of a campaign to avoid losing the Far West and Northeast states, Bush would have to carry a significant number of Great Lake States (more than just Ohio and Indiana) to win.

If Dean wins Florida and keeps everything Gore got, he would win 287-251. So yes, Bush would be in trouble. But the states that Gore carried very narrowly in 2000 account for a total of 39 EVs (not counting PA), so it could easily swing back.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2004, 04:14:17 PM »

A moderate southerner sounds good. But probably wouldn't run with Dean. Some people seem to be thinking that if Dean is not ready to give up on his leftist principles, he should pick a running mate who is. But what are the odds? I say he is going all the way.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies