Where should the Democratic Party appeal to: NOVA or Youngstown, Ohio? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:38:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where should the Democratic Party appeal to: NOVA or Youngstown, Ohio? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where should the Democratic Party appeal to: NOVA or Youngstown, Ohio?  (Read 1849 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: May 30, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »

Whether or not wealthy people stay with Democrats or simply stick with them for a little bit, it seems rather unambiguous that there has been a trend towards the party over the past generation:

Some of these elections you might be able to say, "well, it was a GOP landslide," but others, like 1976, 2004 and 2012 in comparison to the past suggest Democrats have made more durable inroads with them.

I agree that this particular constituency seems like a terrible fit for the Democratic Party, and over the long run, it seems likely they will break away from the party at some point, but for now there is a reason they are siding with Democrats and somehow I doubt it will end anytime soon. I think the GOP will need to undergo some changes to make itself more palatable to them, namely tamping down their social conservatism.

Further, I really don't think white college graduates in general (which doesn't necessarily imply wealthy) will always be a GOP-dominated demographic. With Millennials being so highly educated, and gen z likely to be somewhat similar in that regard, if not more, it seems likely that they for now, white college grads will be somewhat more Democratic. The divide in education also extends to Millennials, and it is rather sharp. In order for the electorate to shape up the way you guys are talking, there would have to be a substantial reversal among young voters when they grow up, and that rarely ever seems to happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies