Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord  (Read 9405 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »

It sounds like Trump doesn't trust God to fix jobs and the economy. Fake Republican!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »

RIP America
1776 - 2017
"We had a good run."
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »

Oh I believe some of the climate change is man made, and some naturally occurring.  You can read studies that fits both far-end viewpoints.  The U.S. is getting "cleaner" if you will, but is it a good deal really for American industry?  I don't mind us re-negotiating the accord at all if we can do our part and improve our country and economy at the same time.  I don't think we're  OMGZ land, that's all.

Oh and I don't watch TV news....especially Fux News.  I might put on the PBS News Hour, but I read NBC, CNN, USA Today and Fox's news feeds.

Thanks for answering. I'll have to re-read the Paris Accord myself to see what was so objectionable. I agree with your bolded points actually; I know the Trump Administration was trying to carve out an exception for coal or some such.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »

Oh I believe some of the climate change is man made, and some naturally occurring.  You can read studies that fits both far-end viewpoints.  The U.S. is getting "cleaner" if you will, but is it a good deal really for American industry?  I don't mind us re-negotiating the accord at all if we can do our part and improve our country and economy at the same time.  I don't think we're  OMGZ land, that's all.

Oh and I don't watch TV news....especially Fux News.  I might put on the PBS News Hour, but I read NBC, CNN, USA Today and Fox's news feeds.

Thanks for answering. I'll have to re-read the Paris Accord myself to see what was so objectionable. I agree with your bolded points actually; I know the Trump Administration was trying to carve out an exception for coal or some such.  

Google the M.I.T study on the accord.......it's pretty much - "meh, whatever".   No problem answering anytime.  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »

It sounds like Trump doesn't trust God to fix jobs and the economy. Fake Republican!

#CampaignPromiseKept.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »

Weather.com, lol

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »

#CampaignPromiseKept.

Those are so rare, I guess they all need to be celebrated bigly?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2017, 04:25:29 PM by TD »

Did some digging.

Interestingly, the story might have been different if maybe, these concessions were granted. These concessions seem squarely aimed at placating the GOP base and donors that might have been sufficiently persuaded to stay in if Trump emerged looking like he wrested important concessions (that may not have been really that major). I wonder why the concessions weren't granted? The inside story sounds more interesting. Please note North Dakota Rep. Kevin Cramer's remarks in particular (and remember North Dakota is a major oil state).

I'm intrigued by Trump's language of wanting to re-negotiate and re-enter and deliberately putting the exit date on November 4, 2020 rather than cutting out the underlying treaty, which Pruitt advocated. I don't view it as mere lip service, given the intense internal debate within the Administration. He also has signed a 2009 newspaper ad calling climate serious and has attributed climate change to human activity (some, at least), right after his 2016 victory.

The story feels more complex than simply the GOP being reflexively anti-climate change. It may have come down to that they didn't feel their economic interests were being represented in this deal enough to continue.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »

Trump wins again! What an amazing President.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »

The downside being that a win for a Trump is a always a loss for humanity, of course.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »

Krazen...back from beating off mercilessly while playing world of warcraft managed to stop for a minute to give us his opinion

Lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Gee, if only he had been like Justin Trudeau and pretending to give a rats ass about climate change while ensuring we don't meet the goal.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/17/stop-swooning-justin-trudeau-man-disaster-planet
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »

Did some digging.

Interestingly, the story might have been different if maybe, these concessions were granted. These concessions seem squarely aimed at placating the GOP base and donors that might have been sufficiently persuaded to stay in if Trump emerged looking like he wrested important concessions (that may not have been really that major). I wonder why the concessions weren't granted? The inside story sounds more interesting. Please note North Dakota Rep. Kevin Cramer's remarks in particular (and remember North Dakota is a major oil state).

I'm intrigued by Trump's language of wanting to re-negotiate and re-enter and deliberately putting the exit date on November 4, 2020 rather than cutting out the underlying treaty, which Pruitt advocated. I don't view it as mere lip service, given the intense internal debate within the Administration. He also has signed a 2009 newspaper ad calling climate serious and has attributed climate change to human activity (some, at least), right after his 2016 victory.

The story feels more complex than simply the GOP being reflexively anti-climate change. It may have come down to that they didn't feel their economic interests were being represented in this deal enough to continue.

Except the EU released a statement saying the Paris treaty will not be and is not able to be renegotiated.

It's just another Trump con

I don't see why they can't renegotiate, honestly. From what I gather the Paris accords are fairly toothless - developing economies basically get to keep using fossil fuels and developed ones agree not to, though there's really no enforcement mechanism and the effects on global warming are minimal at the macro level. Everyone sets their own arbitrary target for emissions. So what's wrong with just... changing the targets? The whole thing feels more to me like "look guys we did something!" than a concrete policy that will actually combat anthropogenic climate change

Besides, a commitment to lowered emissions from large states like CA and NY (paired with wind turbine innovation in Texas and expanded solar in other SW states) is already doing much for "greening" the US, along with the natural death of he coal industry. States giving grants to innovation in renewables would help, too. Thorium salt reactors could revolutionize nuke plants, etc
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »

Yes. Paris is symbolic (not as to say that symbols don't matter, they do). I don't think that staying vs leaving would change much of Trump's 'environment' politics.

The only think that is interesting (to me) is how voters will react to it.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »

Yes. Paris is symbolic (not as to say that symbols don't matter, they do). I don't think that staying vs leaving would change much of Trump's 'environment' politics.

The only think that is interesting (to me) is how voters will react to it.

It'll likely galvanize pro-climate action voters to resist the Trump administration even more. Already states are picking up the slack now that the federal government has abandoned us (see other thread).

On another note, where's Nuclear Elmo? This is the closest Trump has done to end humanity and life as we know it, only by carbon summer instead of nuclear winter.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »

Gee, if only he had been like Justin Trudeau and pretending to give a rats ass about climate change while ensuring we don't meet the goal.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/17/stop-swooning-justin-trudeau-man-disaster-planet

Do you actually care about this at all, or are you just using it as a tool against moderates?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »

Do you actually care about this at all, or are you just using it as a tool against moderates?

Of course we need someone who does more than pretend to give a rats ass about climate change you fool.,
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »

Of course we need someone who does more than pretend to give a rats ass about climate change you fool.,

You troll more than Krazen

No, I'm serious, we need politicians who do more than give climate change lip service if we don't want to get totally screwed by climate change. This isn't a game, this is about getting rid of the terrible politicians we have.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

It is a stupid decision by Trump and the GOP in my opinion. This is a big issue that I have problems with the Republican Party. Their denial to admit that climate change is real and that it is happening.

However, people are free in this country to deny climate change. It's their right. It's free speech. You can't jail them, or ban them from a college if they deny climate change.

It was a bad decision that President Trump made today in the Rose Garden. Very bad.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »

No, I'm serious, we need politicians who do more than give climate change lip service if we don't want to get totally screwed by climate change. This isn't a game, this is about getting rid of the terrible politicians we have.

Yet you seem hellbent on destroying the Democratic Party which seems kind of counterintuitive to the goals you claim to have

The funny thing is I didn't even mention anything about the Democratic party, just a Canadian Liberal party politician. But any party that isn't committed to saving the earth should crash and burn.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »

Lol come on you know what the answer is
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »

Yet you seem hellbent on destroying the Democratic Party which seems kind of counterintuitive to the goals you claim to have

The funny thing is I didn't even mention anything about the Democratic party, just a Canadian Liberal party politician. But any party that isn't committed to saving the earth should crash and burn.

That's the thing. Nothing is ever pure enough for you, and you're no different (possibly more extreme) than those Tea Partiers in 2010 who merely handed off free Senate seats to Democrats in Nevada, Colorado, Delaware, and several House seats merely because they put "principles" abead of pragmatism, leading to the result of getting people less sympathetic to their cause elected instead

Right, I'm a freaking purity troll because I want the world to actually make that goal of getting no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius warmer that politicians like Justin Trudeau claim to be committed to.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »

Jfern, if you actually cared about this issue whatsoever, you'd be working against Trump rather than going "B-b-b-but Trudeau!"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »

Jfern, if you actually cared about this issue whatsoever, you'd be working against Trump rather than going "B-b-b-but Trudeau!"

Obviously Trump is terrible for the planet, and should probably read a certain 2009 letter he signed asking for bold action on climate change. But some people are saying it's actually better that he doesn't pretend to give a rats ass.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/05/america_doesn_t_deserve_the_paris_agreement.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies