Trump to roll back Obama's cuba policy, with help from menendez and Rubio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:12:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to roll back Obama's cuba policy, with help from menendez and Rubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump to roll back Obama's cuba policy, with help from menendez and Rubio  (Read 1663 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/29/exclusive-trump-set-to-roll-back-obamas-cuba-policies/

The people of cuba have gotten absolutely NOTHING from the change in policy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/29/exclusive-trump-set-to-roll-back-obamas-cuba-policies/

What would they gain from reverting to the old policy?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

Whatever happened to America First?  It's pretty clear that the Obama policy changes are good for America.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »

Not surprising. Miami's bourgeoisie Cubans will never stop using Florida's swing state status as a bargaining chip. Could see Trump not going through with it just so he can humiliate Rubio, though.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »

He better no bring back wet foot/dry foot. It would be just like him though to bring in more immigrants.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »

good.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »

Indeed!
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »

I don't necessarily agree with the logic of this but I do understand the political reasons.

Trump couldn't pull out of the Iran treaty so he made the Cuban deal the victim. I think it's to satisfy the conservative foreign policy hawks who opposed Obama doing both. So it's half a loaf. Which kind of makes sense politically. There's much less blowback in pulling out of the Cuban deal than the Iranian deal, which if pulled out would cause us a lot more pain. (Which is why Trump hasn't done it).

Policy wise, I don't think it's rational. I think that to continue the de-Castroization of Cuba we should continue to expand our contacts and reach into Cuba and show them why the Castro regime was so horrible for them. 50 years is long enough to continue a embargo  and Raul Castro is old and aging. It's time we helped a new generation of Cuban leaders overthrow the Castro yoke. I imagine a ton of them would open to the Uncle Sam way of doing things.

Also were I a Republican Floridian strategist (with apologies to the one in this thread already), I would think that winning a few more Cuban voters would be helpful. Younger Cuban voters are less stridently anti-Castro than their elders (or rather, to be more clear, less opposed to the embargo).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »

This is so dumb. The embargo has done more to legitimize the Castros and keep them in power than anything either brother has done in the last thirty-odd years
Cashew
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »

Making America great again with one stupid and pointless decision after another.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »

This is so dumb, there was no need to roll back Obama's policy, it wasn't broke, and didn't need fixing.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »

Menendez needs to go.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »

Sounds good to me.

Push the remaining GOP voting Cubans over to the Democratic Party. They've already begun their exodus over the last 3 elections.

Keep it up GOP...soon all you'll have left are religious nutters
I'm pretty sure a lot of them would hate giving Raul the benefits of trading while remaining a dictator
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »

a shame....could have killed the regime from within without a venezuela-like standoff.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Will this impact medical testing of Heberprot-P and other Cuban EGF drugs?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

Sounds good to me.

Push the remaining GOP voting Cubans over to the Democratic Party. They've already begun their exodus over the last 3 elections.

I'm pretty sure a lot of them would hate giving Raul the benefits of trading while remaining a dictator

Yeah..the 65+ year old Cubans who cant move on from the past...the rest have realized that 60 years of emargos havent done a single thing.

Little Marco will not be re-elected next time
lol ok
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »

I mean if they can't back out of Iran and can't repeal the ACA, we have to do SOMETHING to diminish Obama's accomplishments.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »

Sounds good to me.

Yeah..the 65+ year old Cubans who cant move on from the past...the rest have realized that 60 years of emargos havent done a single thing.

lol ok

little Marco lost the Hispanic vote to a white frat boy in 2016. Ironically, Marco wouldn't of won without such high white turnout. Good luck in 2022 when the demographics are even more slanted against the lapdog for white supremacy known as little Marco (assuming he shows up to even campaign)
Rubio is in a good position for re-election, especially after outperforming Trump by about 7 points.  And he is nothing close to anything white supremacist-like (can't believe I have to answer this)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »

I hope none of the privileged whites here are arguing about a Latinx policy sponsored by the majority of Latinx senators (presuming Cruz supports it). Only they are allowed to have an opinion on this ... not privileged white males.
uti2

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »

Sounds good to me.

lol ok

little Marco lost the Hispanic vote to a white frat boy in 2016. Ironically, Marco wouldn't of won without such high white turnout. Good luck in 2022 when the demographics are even more slanted against the lapdog for white supremacy known as little Marco (assuming he shows up to even campaign)
Rubio is in a good position for re-election, especially after outperforming Trump by about 7 points.  And he is nothing close to anything white supremacist-like (can't believe I have to answer this)

He didn't outperform Trump by 7 points. Murphy unperformed. Rubio did as well as Johnson/Burr, they ran 2-3 points ahead.

The evidence is the polling data.

Rubio and Clinton were always statistically tied in FL, whereas Rubio was always beating Murphy by a decent margin.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/fl/florida_senate_rubio_vs_murphy-5222.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_rubio_vs_clinton-3553.html
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »

Sounds good to me.

lol ok

Rubio is in a good position for re-election, especially after outperforming Trump by about 7 points.  And he is nothing close to anything white supremacist-like (can't believe I have to answer this)

I didnt say Marco was a white supremacist...just that he tolerates it, enables it, and looks the other way in order to win. Here he is trying to overturn Obama's Cuba policy yet the head of his party Trump violated the Cuba Embargo. It's like some kind of sick joke.
I know you didn't. I meant "he is nothing close to anything white supremacy-like" as in he doesn't "tolerate it enable it, or look the other way in order to win"
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »

Now let's stop this "Rubio is fine with white supremacy" bs and focus on the thread's main point
uti2

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »

Now let's stop this "Rubio is fine with white supremacy" bs and focus on the thread's main point

His point is that rubio doesn't have any special appeal with latinos, as especially seen by how he lost Hispanics to an underfunded Dem, Murphy. Rubio won on the back of white turnout. Would those same whites turn out just for him? Considering that the Clinton v. Rubio polls had him at a statistical tie, it's a valid point to be made.

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »

His point is that rubio doesn't have any special appeal with latinos, as especially seen by how he lost Hispanics to an underfunded Dem, Murphy. Rubio won on the back of white turnout. Would those same whites turn out just for him? Considering that the Clinton v. Rubio polls had him at a statistical tie, it's a valid point to be made.

I respect that argument, just not about Rubio tolerating racism.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies