Camelot Anew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Camelot Anew
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Camelot Anew  (Read 26732 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »

Oh please. Don't abandon this.

One of the best threads I've seen on here. Any updates coming?
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »

Oh please. Don't abandon this.

One of the best threads I've seen on here. Any updates coming?
Yes! Just super busy right now.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 01:45:12 AM »

This is excellent stuff.
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »

This is amazing! Any idea when the next update comes out?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 12:48:05 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2018, 08:46:29 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"Thank you, thank you. Eight years ago, my husband Jack stood in front of you, and stared down Richard Nixon in a battle for the soul of this country, in a battle that would define the civil rights of our black brothers and sisters, the health and safety of our seniors and our poorest, and the battle worldwide against Soviet imperialism. Without the leadership of Jack, of Lyndon Johnson and of Hubert Humphrey, America would not have a strong economy, unemployment below five percent, and shrinking poverty levels.

But there is still much work to be done. Blacks feel that their issues are being ignored. Crime levels are rising in our cities. And a generation of young people are being lost due to a disastrous war. America has faced tough times before. Few tougher than these. But every time we've faced tough times, we've seen a tough president stand up and fight to make our great country even greater.

My friends, the choice is clear. Richard Nixon, a man of the past even eight years ago, or Robert Kennedy, a man whose forward-looking and optimistic vision can make the dreams of my husband reality?

During the civil war we needed an Abraham Lincoln. During the depression, we needed a Franklin Roosevelt. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, we needed a Jack Kennedy, and for the Vietnam War we need a Robert Kennedy!

Won't you please join me in welcoming the Democratic Party's nominee, the next President of the United States, Senator Robert Francis Kennedy!"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:25 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2018, 08:46:54 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"Ladies and gentlemen, delegates from around the country, and Americans watching at home.

Today, our nation stands divided. Divided because of laws unevenly enforced. Divided because of opportunity unequally distributed. Divided because of a war unjustly prosecuted.

But throughout my campaign, throughout the dozens of states and hundreds of communities I've traveled, I've sensed hope. Hope that, if the American people are given a chance, they will prosper.

And it is with that hope held deeply in my heart that I accept your nomination for President of the United States.

It's not hard to see why America is divided. Just turn on the news. Riots and crime in our cities. Our rural areas, left behind. Our young men dying in a war that that their families don't even understand.

But this hope, this almost undetectable yet indefatigable sense of hope still permeates this country. It was the hope of 56 men in Philadelphia, signing a document declaring this nation's independence from an autocratic and undemocratic regime. It is the sense of hope that led to Abraham Lincoln to issue a a proclamation freeing this nation's greatest shame, the slaves held in forced bondage. It is the sense of hope that led John F. Kennedy to declare that we will land a man on the moon before the end of this decade.

This hope cannot be defeated. No matter what Mr. Nixon says - our best days are still in front of us. It may be hard to see, with the discord in our streets and the unrest overseas. But America's greatest strengths - our ingenuity, our compassion, our freedom - have guided us through a Civil War, a depression and two World Wars. It guided us then. It will guide us now.

Mr. Nixon has made solving the crime epidemic one of his central campaign planks. And yes, of course we need more cops on the beat to protect American lives and livelihoods. But in order to truly solve the crime epidemic, we need to hit at the root of the problem. The jail door opens when all other doors are closed - inadequate education or access to education, inadequate access to job training once convicts leave prison, inadequate access to jobs and other opportunities. And that is why I'm announcing that in the first 100 days of my Presidency, I will form a cabinet-level Department of Education, to set national education standards to see which schools and school districts are underperforming, and funnel resources there to get them up to standard. And under the purview of that new department will be a system of post-primary non-collegiate job training centers, designed to get kids - and adults - off the street, off welfare and into jobs, so that a life of crime is never an option for them. The first of these institutions will be built in America's 10 largest cities, with potential expansion into other cities and rural areas at a point in the future.

And for too long, Americans have suffered from the burden of overpriced health insurance. While Medicare and Medicaid were good first steps, they do not go far enough. Which is why, in my first 100 days, I will propose an expansion of Medicare to all Americans via a public option. If a person has insurance, and likes it, they can keep it. If they have insurance and don't like it, they can opt-in to expanded Medicare coverage. These programs will go to great lengths to help Americans in their pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

Pollution is choking the life out of America. While the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act are good starts, the country must go further, and I will establish a federal Environmental Protection Organization, designed to weed out polluters and clean up polluted areas of our country.

And I believe that the 1970s - the decade of our nation's bicentennial - would be the perfect time to put forward a constitutional amendment to finally declare that men and women, black people and white people, and people of all faiths are equal in this country!

But it is time to address the elephant in the room...and the elephants gathered outside this room.

Allow me to be abundantly clear: on day one of my presidency, the we will immediately cease bombing North Vietnam and begin to wind down American military presence in the Indochinese region. Over the course of the first 12 months of my presidency, I will begin negotiations with the South and North Vietnamese, the French and Australians to negotiate a lasting peace settlement protecting the sovereignty of both North and South Vietnam, and ensuring a peaceful and prosperous Indochinese peninsula.

Mrs. Kennedy laid out the contrasts in this election perfectly during her introductory speech. Richard Nixon was a man of the past eight years ago. What is he now? He claims to have a secret plan for peace and victory in Vietnam. Mr. Nixon is a private citizen, he is no longer Vice President and was defeated by our good friend Pat Brown in his pursuit for California's governor's mansion. His secret plan is that he has no plan. He receives no classified information. He has few contacts in the nation's military or defense department. Mr. Nixon is lying to you! This country deserves better than half-truths and false promises!

This country deserves a government that behaves honestly and ethically. This country deserves a return to the principles of my brother. The country deserves Camelot Anew!"

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:31:20 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Part III: Nixon Now
"Bobby may be a good kid. But when he calls to return to the principles of his brother, what does that mean? I mean, his brother got us into Vietnam. His brother's Vice President is still the president now, and he's responsible for the mess we're in domestically! Bobby rides in now, on his white horse and says 'follow me, I'll take you back to Camelot.' But his plans are the same as Johnson's. More taxes, more regulation, and no changes to what happens on Main Street."

"It was a deliberate campaign strategy, to refer to Kennedy as 'Bobby'. To infantilize him, to divorce him from John Kennedy's legacy. It probably backfired."
-Roger Stone, in an interview on the Colbert Report, June 14, 2014.

"And [George] Wallace's presence hurt us, no doubt about that. He took away traditionally Democrat states in the south but those were the only states we had won in '64. There was a very real possibility that no candidate would win 270 electoral votes. It was all about California, Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio. Kennedy's people completely ignored the south and the mountain states Johnson'd won in 1964.
-Lee Atwater, in a recorded private conversation, c. 1984

"The first thing Kennedy did [after the convention] was go back to Los Angeles. And crowds of thousands greeted him there. So Dick said to go to Chicago, to bring up the fact that thousands of hippies descended on the city during the convention. It didn't help that Daley kept declaring each space we wanted 'unsuitable.' So we wanted to give a speech in the park. And hundreds of our supporters came. But thousands of Kennedy's did."
-Murray Chotiner, in an lecture to the John Birch Society, "How to defeat Kennedy," May 9, 1971.

"Many of us privately believed Daley sent city workers to disrupt our gathering."
-Richard Nixon, in an interview with TIME Magazine, April 2, 1990.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 02:51:26 AM by Al Franken 2020 »

"We made a big play for Jersey. Bobby, representing New York, and Jack having won it -- narrowly -- in '60, but it was a lean Republican state at that time. Except for Jack, it had only gone for Democrats in landslides, like FDR's four and Woodrow Wilson's. It was Republican for Ike and Dewey in '48. And nearly for Dick."

"We never took any state for granted. After what happened to the GOP in '64? We'd have been crazy too."

"We definitely took New Jersey for granted. We thought it was fools gold for the Kennedy people."

"Dick was obsessed with Illinois. Every day it was Illinois this, Illinois that. It's why he wanted to go to Chicago immediately after the Democrat convention. What happened in 1960, what the Kennedys and Daley did to him, it haunted him. He wanted to make sure it never happened again. He didn't realize that it already had."

"I probably neglected the states around Illinois in favor of Illinois. And I could've gone home to California more frequently than I did."

"He let us run all over California. That was his biggest mistake."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:33:39 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"I was working in Wisconsin at the time, in Green Bay, and everyone around me was wondering where the Nixon campaign was. My mom sent me a letter saying that they were crawling all over Illinois. Bill sent me one and said they were nowhere to be found in California."
-Excerpt from Hillary Clinton's portion of Camelot Anew: An Oral History of Robert F. Kennedy's Campaign, Presidency and Legacy, Knopf, 2012.

"While Bobby was in California, he had me tour the midwest states. As a Senator from Indiana, he felt I had a personal connection. It was Fred Dutton's idea to have us tour by train, visiting every small town in Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri. That had to have helped us. When Bobby was done with California, he flew back out and went on the tour with me."
-Except from an interview with Vice President Birch Bayh, June 2, 2017

"The Hope Express. It was a stupid name if there ever was one."

"The [expletive] Hope Express. It [expletive] us completely. And it was total [expletive] too! It was blatant [expletive] pandering. Any [expletive] idiot could've seen it."

"We got no press coverage, except the local papers, when I was on it. But when Bobby joined me? Hell, I think Walter Cronkite did his evening broadcasts from the caboose."

"People would come in thousands from miles around into these little small towns that hadn't seen a Presidential Candidate since McKinley, to see Bobby. It won us the Midwest. There's no question about that."

"The press loved Bobby, no doubt about that. When he went on that train tour, I thought I'd have to shoot someone just to get my name on page one of a paper. And it worked for him."

"People got to see and experience Bobby. And it helped, definitely."

Gallup poll, September 1, 1968:*
Robert Francis Kennedy (D): 44%
Richard M. Nixon (R): 41%
George Wallace (AI): 10%
Undecided/Other: 5%

*Before Kennedy train tour

Gallup poll, September 11, 1968:*
Robert Francis Kennedy (D): 48%
Richard M. Nixon (R): 39%
George Wallace (AI): 10%
Undecided/Other: 3%

*After Kennedy train tour

"At that point, we needed to do something drastic. We felt the race was almost over and it had barely begun."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 02:11:33 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:34:36 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"Dick thought Texas would be in play, because the LBJ machine wouldn't work for - or would actively work against - Kennedy."

"We knew Johnson would try to screw us in Texas, so we completely ignored it. We wrote it off for Wallace long before Nixon ever went there."

"I did think it was odd Nixon went to Dallas first off. At that point in time it was still heavily linked to Jack's assassination."

"Bobby hasn't once come to Texas. You know why? He and the President can't stand each other. The Democrats are divided. George Wallace is also a Democrat and he left the party to start run his own damn campaign! You can't trust any of them. You can like Lyndon but that doesn't mean you have to vote Democrat. He blames Texans for his brother's death. Bobby blames your favorite son for the death of his brother. Bobby does not deserve Texas' support!"

"It enraged us."

"Lyndon didn't come to the rescue either, not that any of the Kennedy inner circle really believed he would."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »

This is great!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 03:29:57 AM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2017, 03:57:11 PM by Al Franken 2020 »

"We already knew the screw was in in Texas. The LBJ machine was working against us. But it was important to us and the nation to show we were unafraid to go anywhere in this country. That we were unafraid to do everything we could to make America everything it could be."

Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »

Yay, an update. I love this format, Maineiac.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:35:30 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Thanks!
----

"My platform is best for Texas because my platform is best for America. We are going all over this country to send a message of hope and equality and fairness, because that is what Americans young and old, black and white, southern and northern want. They want a great America. And they deserve a great America. Ask yourselves, why is Richard Nixon attacking me so much? Because he knows the nuts and bolts of his plan can't match up with mine. Why do you think he won't debate us? He knows what happened against Jack."

"We really started hitting the debate thing hard."

"Of course we didn't want to [expletive] debate. The debates are what [expletive] him in 1960, and Bobby was the architect of it, the puppet master."

"We were not afraid to debate Bobby Kennedy. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »

Part IV: The Rumble in Arundel

"When Kennedy called us out about the debate, we knew we'd have to do it. The next week we met with Kennedy representatives and the networks to negotiate rules and locations."

"We wanted New York or Chicago or California. We figured we could pack the debate hall with our supporters."

"We wanted a more rural or suburban location. Not a college. Naturally, we found a compromise: St. John's College in Annapolis."

"A tiny liberal arts place in a tiny city in Maryland. Not radical like Berkeley, but not conservative. Maryland was a state that trended Democratic, but Sprio Agnew was Nixon's running mate. Annapolis was a Democratic city, but Anne Arundel County was Republican. It was the perfect backdrop for the debate."
-Excerpt from an interview with Walter Cronkite, July 9, 2007.

"As soon as the debate location was announced, the media immediately picked up the nickname: the Rumble in Arundel. It was a heavyweight fight. It was the place where either Nixon would stage a comeback or we would bury him."

"Neither us or Kennedy wanted Wallace at the debate, because he was gonna [expletive] our southern strategy right in the ass, and Kennedy still held out on some stupid hope of winning Texas as one final insult to Johnson."

"I still can't believe they asked me to play Kennedy in the debate prep. I thought Chotiner was messing with me."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2018, 08:49:05 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"It was a bloodbath from the handshake. I pretty much failed as a moderator."

"Good evening tonight from Annapolis, Maryland. Tonight, we have a very unique program for you: the first Presidential debate since 1960. Tonight, the Democratic candidate Robert Francis Kennedy, the Senator from New York and Attorney General under Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, squares off against the Republican candidate Richard M. Nixon, the former Vice President under Dwight Eisenhower, former Congressman and Senator from California and 1960 Republican candidate for President. Tonight, two contrasting campaigns, two contrasting backgrounds, two contrasting visions for America go head to head to try to win your vote."

"Senator, how can the American people trust you? You're a Democrat, the President's a Democrat, you were this President's Attorney General before you were forced out--"

"Now hold on, Mr. Vice President. I was originally appointed to that role by President Kennedy, and I retained that role when President Johnson succeeded Jack Kennedy. I left because I wanted to have a more direct impact on people's lives, and I saw the Senate as a good opportunity to do that. But by no means was I forced out of the President's cabinet and by no means do I agree with Lyndon B. Johnson on everything or all his actions as President, particularly his actions as Commander in Chief. As a matter of fact, you can ask him how much we agree."

--------

"Bobby, you have no experience. You've been a Senator for less than four years. And I think even you'd agree that President Kennedy nominated you as Attorney General, there were more experienced and more qualified candidates to choose."

"Well, maybe on paper there were more qualified candidates for Attorney General than I in 1960. But I think anyone, even you Richard, can look at what I achieved as Attorney General and think that John Kennedy made the right choice. Just look at what both President Kennedy and President Johnson did in the fields of civil rights, in reducing organized crime, in labor rights. I believe I had a successful tenure as Attorney General, I believe I've had a successful tenure as a United States Senator, and I believe I'll have a successful tenure as President of the United States."

"Bobby, er, Senator, let's be real here. You may have tackled organized crime, but now there's even more crime, unorganized crime. You had no legal experience before your nomination. You owe your career as Attorney General to finagling by President Kennedy, then-Vice President Johnson, Senator Russell. Senator, you were a nepotism pick, and you'll be a nepotism president, unable to bring the change that this country desperately needs."

"You know, Dick, I'm glad you've attacked me like this. Because it shows what your campaign is based on. It shows all you have to fight against our movement, of hope, of fairness, of change. Just throwing barbs at me. That's all you have. Well, it's better you to attack me than attack the miner who has no healthcare but black lung, the inner city youth who has no job prospects and is forced to steal to feed his younger siblings, whose high school is falling apart due to under funding, who's harassed by a Sheriff who also is a member of the KKK. Those are the people I am fighting for, those are the people I've always fought for, those are the people I'll fight for as President."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »

"But the Worst was yet to come from the Nixon camp."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »

It's pretty good so far. there is just one minor error in this.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Birch was a Senator from Indiana not a governor.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »

It's pretty good so far. there is just one minor error in this.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Birch was a Senator from Indiana not a governor.
Ooh, good catch. Thanks.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 10:53:25 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:37:04 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Part V: November Surprise

"After that, it was over. They were already popping champagne corks in Hyannis Port. The final two days didn't matter."

HR Haldeman and Anna Chennault refused to be interviewed.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:38:49 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Part VI: Election Night '68

Chet Huntley and David Brinkley of NBC just before the start of their election night coverage.

7:45

"Good evening from New York, I'm David Brinkley."

"And I'm Chet Huntley. Tonight, three men vie for the most powerful office in the world, the Presidency of the United States. For all three men, this election has represented a political rebirth. For Richard Nixon, a defeated Presidential candidate in 1960, a defeated gubernatorial candidate in 1962. But he orchestrated his political renaissance perfectly, winning the Grand Old Party's nomination virtually unchallenged at the 1968 convention."

"For the Democrat, Robert F. Kennedy, he carries the hopes of an entire family. After his brother was gunned down in Dallas in 1963, and after Robert himself nearly lost his own life in a similar assassination attempt in Los Angeles in June, Kennedy was overwhelmed with an outpouring of support which he was able to ride to the nomination in Chicago over Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy. But it's not just the hopes of the Kennedy family; indeed, the hopes of young people, of Negroes and Chicanos, of peace activists, of liberals, hoping for the old New Deal Coalition to rise once final time."

"And finally, for the man who seeks to tear a portion of that coalition away. George Wallace was a lifelong Democrat, until he wasn't. Nominated by the right-wing American Independent Party, he seeks to be the voice of white southerners in this election; pro-segregation, pro-Jim Crow. Indeed, President Johnson's - and Senator Kennedy's - work on civil rights has spurned him on, and Governor Wallace is expected to carry a handful of Deep South states tonight, though he's on the ballot in all fifty."

8:00

"And now the time has come for our first call tonight, and it's the state the Kennedys call home. Massachusetts has gone to Bobby Kennedy by an overwhelming margin. And we can also call the District of Columbia, safe Democratic territory, and Kennedy is expected to get north of 80% of the vote. Rhode Island as well we can call for Kennedy, another four electoral college votes. That leaves Kennedy with 21 electoral college votes, Nixon with zero, and Wallace with zero. Uncalled states with polls closed include: Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and New York."

8:08

"We have a call to make, and it's a big one: New York and her 43 electoral votes will go to Robert Kennedy. Not much of a surprise, but Bobby's already over 60 electoral college votes."

8:36

"It's been awhile since we've had a call at the Presidential level, but we can now call Delaware for Bobby Kennedy. That pushes the New York Senator up to 67 electoral college votes, none for Nixon, none for Wallace."

8:45

"Richard Nixon picked Maryland governor Spiro Agnew as his running mate, but Agnew apparently couldn't help him in that state; Maryland and its 10 electoral college votes go to Kennedy. Kennedy 77, Nixon 0, Wallace 0. Don't turn off your TV and think Kennedy's on his way to a 1964-style landslide though, the popular vote is much narrower, but still a decisive Kennedy lead: 2,181,123 popular votes for Robert Kennedy, 1,712,200 votes for Richard Nixon, and 187,893 votes for George Wallace, but the states where Wallace is strongest in have yet to close their polls, so we're not getting reports from, say, Alabama, Wallace's home state where he's expected to win very easily. The map so far:"

8:49

"Maine has somewhat surprisingly given its four electoral college votes to the Democratic candidate Bobby Kennedy...for over 100 years, from 1856 to 1964, Maine was one of the safest Republican states in the country. Maine and Vermont were the only states to hold out for Alf Landon in his landslide defeat to Franklin Roosevelt in 1936. The only exception between 1856 and 1964 was 1912, when Republicans in Maine were split between GOP nominee William Howard Taft and Progressive nominee Theodore Roosevelt, the former Republican president, allowing Democrat Woodrow Wilson to win the state of Maine with a plurality of the vote. But now, for two straight elections, Maine has gone to the Democrats, its four electoral college votes now pledged to Bobby Kennedy. That makes the electoral vote totals 81 for Kennedy, 0 for Nixon and 0 Wallace. We'll be back after a brief break."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »

"Welcome back. We were able to call one state during the commercial break; Connecticut has now gone into Senator Kennedy's column."

8:51

"Just a reminder that at the 9:00 hour we'll have the first results from states in the center of the country, including the hotly contested states if Wisconsin, Illinois and Texas."

8:52

"West Virginia is solid Democratic territory, and tonight is no different. Robert Kennedy takes all seven electoral votes, pushing him close to 100 on the evening. The map:"

"Hold everything, Chet, we have a major projection to make. Senator Kennedy has won New Jersey. Yes, New Jersey, which is a lean Republican state, I think, in neutral years. It went for Jack Kennedy, and now it goes for his younger brother. Senator Kennedy has won New Jersey and its 17 electoral votes. The Nixon camp must be very worried tonight indeed that New Jersey has been called for Bobby Kennedy this early in the evening. Our reports indicate that Nixon is getting only 42% of the vote, very low for a Republican in the state. We have to wonder if the November surprise of Nixon's attempted meddling in the Paris Peace Conference is at fault here. Polling had shown a close race with only a narrow Kennedy lead. But Bobby has landslided Dick Nixon tonight in the state of New Jersey. Astonishing. The electoral vote total is Kennedy 113, Nixon 0, Wallace 0, and we're not at 9:00 tonight. Do you think, Chet, they're biting their fingernails at Nixon headquarters yet?"

"If they weren't before - and we should remember that all the states so far, except maybe Maine, were thought to be strong Kennedy states - they definitely are now. New Jersey was one of the true tossups in this race, along with Illinois, Wisconsin and Texas. But for Senator Kennedy to win so handily has to be making Nixon supporters feel a little nervous."

"Do you think we're gonna call a state for Nixon before 9:00?"

"I don't know, David. Maybe Indiana, but the Kennedy vote is holding up surprisingly well there."

8:55

"Kentucky has gone for Richard Nixon. The state of Kentucky has been projected by NBC analysts for Richard Nixon. That's Nixon's first win on the night, and gives him nine electoral votes to Kennedy's 113 and Wallace's zero. Kentucky was thought to be a state all three candidates had a chance in, but it's gone for Nixon tonight."

8:56
"Kennedy has won Michigan and its 21 electoral college votes. No real surprise here, the labor movement was huge for Kennedy and it's strong in Michigan. That pushes Kennedy to 134 electoral votes, Nixon 9, Wallace 0."

8:58

"Another big state has gone for Senator Kennedy. Pennsylvania will be pledging its 29 electoral college votes to the Democrats and Robert Kennedy. Again, not a huge surprise, Nixon never really had a shot in a state tied very closely to the labor movement and with a large Negro population in Philadelphia. Kennedy 163, getting close to the magic number of 270, Nixon 9, Wallace 0."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies