Camelot Anew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Camelot Anew
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Camelot Anew  (Read 26723 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

------

"Good morning, it's November 8th, 1972, and this is Today. It's the day after election night, and what a night it was. We're here to unpack all the results for you...

"Moving on to the Senate, let's go through the results:

In Alabama, incumbent Democrat John Sparkman has been reelected with nearly two third of the vote.

In Alaska, incumbent Republican Ted Stevens has been overwhelmingly reelected.

In Arkansas, incumbent Democrat John McClellan has won reelection.

In Colorado, Democrat Floyd K. Haskell narrowly defeated incumbent Republican Gordon Allott, a Democratic gain.

In Delaware, incumbent Republican J. Caleb Boggs was defeated by 29-year-old New Castle County Councilmember Joseph Biden in a narrow race, another Democratic gain.

In Georgia, incumbent Democrat David H. Gambell lost nomination to Sam Nunn, and Nunn holds the seat for the Democrats.

In Idaho, incumbent Republican Leonard Jordan retired, and his seat was held for the GOP with James McClure.

In Illinois, incumbent Republican Charles H. Percy easily won reelection over Roman Pucinski.

In Iowa, incumbent Republican Jack Miller has been defeated by Democrat Dick Clark.

In Kansas, incumbent Republican James B. Pearson has won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Kentucky, incumbent Republican John Sherman Cooper has retired, and the Democrats have gained his seat with Walter D. Huddleston.

In Louisiana, the seat once held by the late Allen Ellender, the Democrats have held the seat with J. Bennett Johnston.

In Maine, the seat held by Republican Vice Presidential nominee Margaret Chase Smith, the Democrats have gained the seat with William Hathaway, who defeated former congressman Stanley R. Tupper, as Maine does not allow candidates to run for multiple offices in the same election.

In Massachusetts, Democrat James A. Burke retains this seat, the former seat of Treasury Secretary Edward Brooke.

In Michigan, incumbent Republican Bob Griffin has narrowly won reelection.

In Minnesota, incumbent Democrat Walter Mondale has won reelection.

In Mississippi, incumbent Democrat James Eastland has unsurprisingly won reelection.

In Montana, incumbent Democrat Lee Metcalf has won reelection in a surprisingly narrow race.

In Nebraska, incumbent Republican Carl Curtis won reelection.

In New Hampshire, incumbent Democrat Thomas J. McIntyre has won reelection.

In New Jersey, incumbent Republican Clifford Case has won reelection overwhelmingly.

In New Mexico, Pete Domenici makes a rare Republican gain, defeating Jack Daniels in the seat held by retiring Clinton Anderson.

In North Carolina, the seat held by retiring Democrat B. Everett Jordan, the Democrats have held this seat with Nick Galifianakis, narrowly defeating controversial right-wing Republican Jesse Helms.

In Oklahoma, the other GOP gain tonight, Republican Dewey F. Bartlett wins over Democrat Ed Edmondson in the seat held by retiring Fred Harris.

In Oregon, incumbent Mark O. Hatfield wins reelection.

In Rhode Island, incumbent Democrat Claiborne Pell has won reelection.

In South Carolina, incumbent Republican Strom Thurmond has won reelection.

In South Dakota, the seat currently held by retiring Republican Karl Mundt has been gained by the Democrats with James Abourzek.

In Tennessee, incumbent Republican Howard Baker has won reelection.

In Texas, incumbent Republican John Tower has won reelection.

In Virginia, incumbent Democrat William B. Spong has won reelection.

In West Virginia, incumbent Democrat Jennings Randolph has won reelection.

In Wyoming, incumbent Republican Clifford Hansen has won reelection overwhelmingly.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »

Jesse Helms's defeat is the cherry on top of this wonderful TL.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »

That sea of Atlas Red is beautiful. Congratulations on re-election President Kennedy!
Duke of York

« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »

I truly believe JFK would've won 400+ Ev's in '64... and if RFK had ran, I could see him winning a similar victory in '67 or '72. I too wish this timeline was what actually happened. I really do. We'd be far better off for it.
Theres a famous meme that makes the rounds now and then. It says if you found a book that enabled you to control reality would you use it and how would you use it? I would use it to make this timeline real.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »

I truly believe JFK would've won 400+ Ev's in '64... and if RFK had ran, I could see him winning a similar victory in '67 or '72. I too wish this timeline was what actually happened. I really do. We'd be far better off for it.
Theres a famous meme that makes the rounds now and then. It says if you found a book that enabled you to control reality would you use it and how would you use it? I would use it to make this timeline real.
Aw shucks.

But you may not be saying that once you find out the President that follows RFK.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2017, 03:22:48 AM »

Can you give us the figures on what the house and senate look like in the the first half of RFK's second term?

And my guess on who wins next is Goldwater.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2017, 03:46:24 AM »

This is amazing. I'm really fond of the unique way of presentation, definitely one of the best TLs here!
Duke of York

« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 11:02:57 AM by Duke of York »

Aw shucks.

But you may not be saying that once you find out the President that follows RFK.

A timeline that leads to Joe Biden being President, later Lisa Murkowski and then Hillary Clinton succeeding her, John Lewis as a VP candidate and Barack Obama as VP and Bernie Sanders as Secretary General id make that reality no matter who succeeds RFK.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »

Can you give us the figures on what the house and senate look like in the the first half of RFK's second term?

It's a diehard Goldwater supporter, but not the man himself...

This is amazing. I'm really fond of the unique way of presentation, definitely one of the best TLs here!
Thank you so much!

Aw shucks.

A timeline that leads to Joe Biden being President, later Lisa Murkowski and then Hillary Clinton succeeding her, John Lewis as a VP candidate and Barack Obama as VP and Bernie Sanders as Secretary General id make that reality no matter who succeeds RFK.
Yeah, Kennedy's presidency (and the failures of the Republican that follows, though largely out of his control) result in a more liberal status quo for the late 20th and early 21st century.

Next post will detail the governor's races.
Duke of York

« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

Thank you so much!

Aw shucks.

Yeah, Kennedy's presidency (and the failures of the Republican that follows, though largely out of his control) result in a more liberal status quo for the late 20th and early 21st century.

awesome i can wait to see the next post of this amazing timeline/documentary and the future presidents that follow. I assume Lisa Murkowski was the first female president and the US hasn't had a African American President yet?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

Thank you so much!

Aw shucks.

awesome i can wait to see the next post of this amazing timeline/documentary and the future presidents that follow. I assume Lisa Murkowski was the first female president and the US hasn't had a African American President yet?
I'm not spoiling anything more!

------

"And now for the governor's races:

In Arkansas, incumbent Democrat Dale Bumpers cruised to reelection with nearly 80% of the vote.

In Delaware, Republican Russell W. Peterson won reelection in a narrow race.

In Illinois, incumbent Republican Richard Ogilvie holds on. The Democratic candidate, Dan Walker, was leading in some polls, but allegations of corruption torpedoed his campaign at the end.

In Indiana, incumbent Republican Edgar Whitcomb was term-limited and the governorship was won by Democratic former governor Matthew Empson Welsh.

In Iowa, incumbent Republican Robert D. Ray won reelection.

In Kansas, incumbent Democrat Robert Docking won reelection.

In Missouri, incumbent Democrat Warren Hearnes was term-limited, and the governorship was won by Republican Kit Bond.

In Montana, incumbent Democrat Forrest Anderson retired and Democrat Thomas Lee Judge won the governorship.

In New Hampshire, incumbent Republican Walter Peterson lost renomination, but the governorship is held, narrowly, by the GOP with Meldrim Thompson. An independent took 20% of the vote.

In North Carolina, incumbent Democrat Robert Scott was term-limited, and the governorship was won by Republican James Holshouser, who will be the first Republican governor of the state since the turn of the century.

In North Dakota, incumbent Democrat William L. Guy retired, and the governorship was held by the Democrats with with Arthur Link in a narrow race.

In Rhode Island, incumbent Republican Herbert DeSimone was defeated by Democrat Philip Noel.

In South Dakota, incumbent Democrat Richard Kneip won a landslide reelection.

In Texas, incumbent Democrat Preston Smith was defeated in a primary, and the governorship was narrowly held by the Democrats with Dolph Briscoe. The Chicano nationalist party, La Raza Unida, or "The Race United" took over 6% of the vote. Briscoe accused the Kennedy administration, particularly agriculture secretary Cesar Chavez, of supporting the La Raza Unida candidate.

In Utah, incumbent Democrat Calvin Rampton won a landslide reelection.

In Vermont, incumbent Republican Deane Davis retired, and the governorship was won by the Democratic candidate Thomas Salmon.

In Washington, incumbent Republican Daniel J. Evans won reelection.

In West Virginia, incumbent Republican Arch Moore was defeated by Democrat Jay Rockefeller.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 10:25:07 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Bold indicates a new secretary.

~~~~
The Kennedy Administration

President: Robert Francis Kennedy (D-NY)
Vice President: Birch Bayh (D-IN)
Secretary of State: Edmund Muskie (D-ME)
Secretary of the Treasury: Edward Brooke (R-MA)
Secretary of Defense: Averill Harriman (D-NY)
Attorney General: Ralph W. Yarborough (D-TX)
Secretary of Labor: Jesse Unruh (D-CA)
Secretary of the Interior: Ben Reifel (R-SD)
Secretary of Agriculture: Cesar Chavez (D-CA)
Secretary of Commerce: Bill Steiger (R-WI)
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Henry B. Gonzalez (D-TX)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Richard M. Nixon (R-CA)
Secretary of Transportation: Endicott Peabody (D-MA)
National Health Administrator: Julia Butler Hansen (D-WA)
Chief of Staff: Fred Dutton
Press Secretary: Pierre Salinger
Senior Advisors: Ted Sorenson, Harris Wofford

Muskie is replaced in the Senate by George Mitchell. Hartke and Diggs resigned from the cabinet.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »

Secretary Tricky Dick has a nice ring to it!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 10:23:57 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

"I won't lie. I still bore a lot of resentment to the Kennedys. But when your President asks for your help, you give it to him."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

I'm already dreading 1974 because it was such a Democratic wave, and I want to turn it into a mini-Republican wave because the gun control bill will be brought up a lot as it makes its way through the courts.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

Looks like Nixon will be a de facto Secretary of State without being Secretary of State.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »

Looks like Nixon will be a de facto Secretary of State without being Secretary of State.
Muskie is mostly going to focus on the Soviets while Nixon will be mostly working with the Chinese.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »

Just wait until Nixon actually has to be Secretary of HUD. The congressional committee hearings will be interesting indeed.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2017, 05:28:32 AM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

Part XI: The Second Term

"The President had pledged during his first campaign he wanted to create a cabinet-level Department of Education, away from the Health, Education and Welfare department. He considered his inability to get it done in his first term his biggest failure to that point."

"The President submitted the bill, and it was passed easily by both houses of congress without much objection. The first Secretary of Education, though, was truly historic."

Shirley Chisholm, first Secretary of Education. Confirmed unanimously.
Duke of York

« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »

This is truly the very best time I've ever read on here. Every time I think I cant be surprised more or wish this will real even more I still am. Shirley Chisholm as the first education secretary? Consider me blown away!
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »

I’ve been kicking around the idea of separate threads for each President so that this thread doesn’t turn into some thirty-page-long epic that overwhelms new readers. Thoughts?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »

I’ve been kicking around the idea of separate threads for each President so that this thread doesn’t turn into some thirty-page-long epic that overwhelms new readers. Thoughts?

Very solid idea, as long as you give links to previous and next threads in the OP, which shouldn't be a problem. Glad to hear you're planning it to continue a long time!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 04:32:19 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Busing would be a pretty important issue in a RFK administration. What's going on with that?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »

Can you include storie of RFK's administration connecting to JFK's (continuing policies, members of cabinet that are the same). And also what role does Teddy have in advising his RFK, so on and so forth.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies