Camelot Anew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:27:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Camelot Anew
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Camelot Anew  (Read 26643 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »

Can you include storie of RFK's administration connecting to JFK's (continuing policies, members of cabinet that are the same). And also what role does Teddy have in advising his RFK, so on and so forth.
Most of the cabinet is the same, only Secretary of State Hartke and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Diggs have left. Teddy remains a loyal advocate for the President's agenda, and occasional confidant of the President. He is occasionally jokingly referred to as "The Senator from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue."

Busing would be a pretty important issue in a RFK administration. What's going on with that?
Attorney General Yarborough, on orders from President Kennedy, is forcing localities to perform desegregation busing, in accordance with Swann. Secretary Chisholm is investigating all-white "private" schools throughout the country.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »

"The President brought me in, officially as HUD Secretary, unofficially as an advisor on normalizing relations with China. My knowledge of Asia and the President's....weakness on that front. He sent me to China, the first official American visit to the country since the Communist takeover. The world was more peaceful now. The President and I fully agreed that the time had come to move toward normalization of relations with China."

Secretary Richard Nixon visiting the Great Wall during his "Goodwill Trip". 1973.

Secretary Richard Nixon and General Secretary Mao Zedong discussing the opening of relations between their two countries. 1973
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2017, 06:09:59 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

"Blackmun dissented, vehemently, and unsurprisingly. Lockwood wrote the majority opinion."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »

"Second terms are never as eventful as the first...after we formally ended the draft in early 1974, all that was left was the Equal Rights Amendment, which was now three state legislatures away from victory."

"By any measure, Robert F. Kennedy had been an unqualified success as President of the United States. So by the time the 1974 midterms rolled around, after the formal ratification of the ERA, it came as something of a surprise to see Democrats lose."

"President Kennedy's job approvals were in the high 70s. The country just wanted change."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 09:11:54 PM by Kaniela Ing/Jared Golden 2028 »

In Alabama, incumbent Democrat James Allen won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Alaska, incumbent Democrat Mike Gravel won reelection.

In Arizona, incumbent Republican Barry Goldwater won reelection.

In California, incumbent Democrat Alan Cranston won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Colorado, Democrat Gary Hart won this seat away from Republican Pete Dominick, a Democratic gain.

In Connecticut, incumbent Democrat Abe Ribicoff won reelection.

In Florida, incumbent Democrat LeRoy Collins won reelection narrowly.

In Georgia, no surprise as Herman Talmadge won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Hawaii, incumbent Democrat Daniel Inouye won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Idaho, incumbent Democrat Frank Church won reelection in a surprisingly narrow race.

In Illinois, incumbent Democrat Adlai Stevenson won reelection.

In Indiana, Democrat Ray Madden wins reelection.

In Iowa, freshman Democrat Harold Hughes retired and his seat was gained by Republican Dave Stanley.

In Kansas, incumbent Republican Bob Dole won reelection in a surprisingly narrow race.

In Kentucky, Democrat Wendell Ford gains this seat from the Republicans.

In Louisiana, incumbent Democrat Russell Long was reelected unopposed.

In Maryland, incumbent Republican Charles Mathias was reelected.

In Missouri, incumbent Democrat Tom Eagleton won reelection.

In Nevada, Republican Paul Laxalt won this open seat for the Republicans.

In New Hampshire, Democrat John A. Durkin won, a gain for the Democrats.

In New York, incumbent Republican-Liberal Jack Javits won reelection. Javits is a major supporter of the President's agenda.

In North Carolina, Republican William E. Stevens wins the open seat, a gain for the Republicans.

In North Dakota, incumbent Republican Milton Young won reelection, in a surprisingly narrow race.

In Ohio, incumbent Democrat John Glenn won election to the full term vacated by former Senator and current Governor John Gilligan.

In Oklahoma, incumbent Republican Henry Bellmon narrowly won reelection.

In Oregon, Republican Bob Packwood won, a gain for the GOP.

In Pennsylvania, incumbent Republican Richard Schweiker won reelection.

In South Carolina, incumbent Democrat Ernest Hollings unsurprisingly won reelection.

In South Dakota, incumbent Democrat George McGovern won reelection. McGovern is considered a strong candidate for the presidency in 1974.

In Utah, Republican Jake Garn holds this seat.

In Vermont, Democrat Patrick Leahy gains this seat for the Democrats. Incumbent Republican George Aiken retired. Leahy is the first Democrat to represent Vermont in the Senate.

In Washington, incumbent Democrat Warren Magnuson won reelection.

In Wisconsin, incumbent Democrat Gaylord Nelson won reelection.

"The results in the Senate weren't awful...they just weren't what we were expecting. We thought Guy would walk Young in North Dakota. We thought Packwood was dead on arrival in Oregon - he had been in 1968."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »

In Alabama, incumbent Democrat Governor - for life - George Wallace has won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Alaska, incumbent Democrat William Egan has lost to Republican Jay Hammond, a gain for the GOP.

In Arizona, incumbent Democrat Raul Castro has lost to Republican Russell Williams, a gain for the GOP.

In Arkansas, incumbent Democrat Dale Bumpers retired, and the governors' mansion was held by the Democrats with David Pryor.

In California, incumbent Republican Ronald Reagan retired and the governor's mansion was gained by the Democrats with Jerry Brown.

In Colorado, incumbent Republican John Love retired and the Democrats gained the governor's mansion with Dick Lamm.

In Connecticut, incumbent Democrat Thomas Joseph Meskill retired and the governor's mansion was retained by the Democrats with Ella Grasso, the first female governor of Connecticut.

In Florida, incumbent Democrat Reubin Askew won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Georgia, incumbent Governor Jimmy Carter was term-limited, and the Republicans gain the governor's mansion for the first time since Reconstruction with Ronnie Thompson, in a huge upset. Thompson ran against President Kennedy more than George Busbee, the Democratic nominee.

In Hawaii, incumbent Democrat John A. Burns retired and the governor's mansion was gained by the Republicans with Randolph Crossley.

In Idaho, incumbent Democrat Cecil Andrus was reelected overwhelmingly.

In Iowa, incumbent Republican Robert Ray won reelection.

In Kansas, incumbent Democrat Robert Docking was term-limited, and the governor's mansion was gained by the Republicans with Robert F. Bennett.

In Maine, incumbent Democrat Ken Curtis was term-limited, and the governor's mansion was gained by the Independent Jim Longley, over Democratic congressman Peter Kyros and Republican state legislator James Erwin.

In Maryland, incumbent Democrat Marvin Mandel won reelection.

In Massachusetts, incumbent Democrat Kevin H. White won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Michigan, incumbent Democrat Sander Levin was narrowly defeated by Republican William Milliken in a rematch of 1970.

In Minnesota, incumbent Democrat Wendell Anderson won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Nebraska, incumbent Democrat J. James Exon won reelection.

In Nevada, incumbent Democrat Mike O'Callaghan won reelection.

In New Hampshire, incumbent Republican Meldrim Thomson won reelection.

In New Mexico, incumbent Democrat Fabian Chavez retired and the governor's mansion was gained by the Republicans with Joe Skeen.

In New York, incumbent Republican Nelson Rockefeller retired, and the governor's mansion was retained by the Republicans with James L. Buckley, elected narrowly over Democrat Hugh Carey.

In Ohio, incumbent Democrat John Gilligan was narrowly defeated by Republican Jim Rhodes.

In Oklahoma, incumbent Democrat David Hall lost renomination, but the governor's mansion was held by the Democrats with David Boren.

In Oregon, incumbent Republican Tom McCall was term limited, and the governor's mansion was gained for the Democrats with Robert Straub.

In Pennsylvania, incumbent Democrat Milton Shapp won reelection.

In Rhode Island, Democrat Philip W. Noel won overwhelmingly.

In South Carolina, incumbent Democrat John C. West retired and the governor's mansion was gained by the Republicans with James B. Edwards. Edwards becomes the first Republican Governor of South Carolina since reconstruction.

In South Dakota, incumbent Democrat Richard Kneip won reelection.

In Tennessee, incumbent Republican Winfield Dunn was term-limited, and the governor's mansion was gained by Democrat Ray Blanton.

In Texas, incumbent Democrat Dolph Briscoe won reelection overwhelmingly.

In Vermont, Democrat Thomas P. Salmon won overwhelmingly.

In Wisconsin, incumbent Democrat Bronson Cutting La Follette retired and the governor's mansion was held by the Democrats with Patrick Lucey.

In Wyoming, incumbent Republican Stanley K. Hathaway was term-limited and the governor's mansion was gained by the Democrats with Edgar Herschler.

"Skeen? Buckley? Ronnie Thompson?! Some of these guys were uber-conservative. We began to get very worried about 1976."
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:50 PM »

I really think you should slow down. You didn't cover the midterm campaign, which I would have really liked to see.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »

I really think you should slow down. You didn't cover the midterm campaign, which I would have really liked to see.
I'm honestly running out of ideas for Kennedy. His successor is so damn interesting. I can't wait to get to him.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

I'm honestly running out of ideas for Kennedy. His successor is so damn interesting. I can't wait to get to him.
Speaking of the 1976 campaign, since the format of this TL is a documentary which interviews RFK associates, how will you cover politics after RFK retires? Are you gonna interview the associates of each different President, or keep interviewing the RFK associates?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:13 PM »

Speaking of the 1976 campaign, since the format of this TL is a documentary which interviews RFK associates, how will you cover politics after RFK retires? Are you gonna interview the associates of each different President, or keep interviewing the RFK associates?
Associates of each succeeding President, but with more outsiders, particularly for the next President.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2017, 02:00:00 AM »

Associates of each succeeding President, but with more outsiders, particularly for the next President.

It's not Reagan or Goldwater, but it's an arch-conservative... Colour me curious, can't wait to know who that is!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2017, 03:46:32 AM »

Is the next president Roy Cohn or Roger McBride?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »

Is the next president Roy Cohn or Roger McBride?
Nope! But I never said it wasn’t Reagan...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2018, 10:17:32 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Part XII: The Kennedy Shock

"There had been pressure on many sides to end the Bretton Woods system in the United States. President Kennedy had resisted because he'd wanted to get these huge reforms to our health system and everything, and was afraid that a major change to our fiscal system may have created an environment that wasn't great for those reforms."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »

"He told Sirhan 'I forgive you.' Sirhan didn't even look at him. Sirhan said nothing. I think he was embarrassed, on some level, that he tried to kill Bobby. He was deeply, deeply ashamed."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »

It might just be my memory, but... what's up with that single-payer bill RFK and Teddy were plotting to get through?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »

It might just be my memory, but... what's up with that single-payer bill RFK and Teddy were plotting to get through?
Yes. It's been a huge success thus far.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »

President Kennedy and Secretary Brezhnev signing an arms reduction treaty in Moscow, October 14, 1975
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »

The Sirhan update actually moved me a little. Call me a sap.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »

This is one of the best timelines I’ve read. Great job!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2017, 11:15:48 PM »

The Sirhan update actually moved me a little. Call me a sap.
This is one of the best timelines I’ve read. Great job!
Thank you both!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:11 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 11:57:04 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

Part XIII: Denoument

Admired by young and old. The President in Los Angeles, March 27, 1976.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 11:57:15 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

"You know...I often think about what would've happened if Sirhan's bullet was two inches to the right. What if Bobby had died on that kitchen floor that night? How different would our country be? How different would our world be? How much worse off would we be?"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2017, 11:42:33 AM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

The following is an excerpt from President Kennedy's farewell address, January 12, 1977

"We have achieved great things over the last four years. And I know many of my supporters were disheartened by the campaign the President-elect ran, and are afraid that the progress we've made will be rolled back.

"My friends, ten years ago, we were mired in a war with no conceivable ending. We had rampant gun violence, we had people going bankrupt to try to pay for their medical bills, we had good schools in rich white neighborhoods and bad schools in poor and black neighborhoods.

President Kennedy watches the White House fade away from distance as he takes Marine One to Dulles Airport, January 20, 1977

"And look where we are today. Look at the progress we've made. Progress is not done in the ivory towers of Washington. It is not enacted with the stroke of the pen. It is made in the streets by everyday Americans willing to fight for themselves and fight for their neighbors. It is made on college campuses, where young people find their voice. It is made in churches, where the neighborhood comes together.

President Kennedy visiting a Detroit neighborhood in one of his first public appearances following the conclusion of his Presidency, February 27, 1977

"A great man once said that the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. It will always bend towards justice, no matter who occupies the Oval Office, who controls Congress, who the Supreme Court justices are. It will always bend towards justice because of you. Each and every one of you has the power to change the world. Whether you're black or white. Male or female. Homosexual or not homosexual. You have the power. And as long as you don't forget the values that make our country great, I like our chances.

"It has been my privilege to serve as your President over the last eight years. I've met so many people who've changed my life in such a positive way. And I've met so many people who say that I've changed their lives. I'm glad to have made a positive impact on someone, however small. Now, I stand with you, a citizen, looking forthrightly and walking onward..."

"...toward the future."

End Chapter One
Duke of York

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »

Truly one of the most amazing timelines I've ever read. I truly wish this was our reality. I cant wait to see chapter two. I don't care who the next president is. I wish it was real.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies