WaPo: Germans wonder why Trump keeps lashing out at them and not Russia/Saudi (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:11:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Germans wonder why Trump keeps lashing out at them and not Russia/Saudi (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo: Germans wonder why Trump keeps lashing out at them and not Russia/Saudi  (Read 1470 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »

Those numbers don't tell the whole picture. Most European forces have become essentially one step above active reservists and have grown accustomed to the US taking point on most defense issues. The UK a few months ago had a debate between MPs over if the defense budget was actually 2% or 1.9%. I watched it it was insane. With the exception of a few good SOF units (UK SAS, SBS, German Kommando units, Intel groups and UK/French air power (primarily those two)) the US is the sole big player in Europe. This needs to change and they need to keep pushing for expanded funding and extensive training so we can stand down some forces. Unfortunately they won't and that is why we are still there and expanding with the new battalions in Poland to hold the line with Russia. Also, the EuroFor is a joke and nowhere near a consolidated European force.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »

Is 150,000 active duty really acurate for Britain? I had assumed their military had shrink more significantly.
Good grief. Isn't that low enough?!

I was just asking because I saw some articles say that it had fallen to 80,000 or something similar.

The British Army had 83, 560 regular soldiers and 29,940 reservists as of 1 April this year. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/597051/Monthly_service_personnel_statistics-_February_2017.pdf

So 113,500 total force. It isn't that bad due to British lack of engagement but it is lower than the 2010 142,000 total force figure.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »

Sim, the total force numbers would refer in this case to just the Army land forces but spot on with the overall numbers, UK defines overall force (Regular+reserve components) as "UK Service Personnel."
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »

I googled what they call their overall military and the numbers are from the manpower pdf
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies