Trump, a Presbyterian, just discovered that Presbyterians are Christians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:03:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump, a Presbyterian, just discovered that Presbyterians are Christians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump, a Presbyterian, just discovered that Presbyterians are Christians  (Read 2939 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »

and leftists would be only too elated if [...] organized religion were to disappear from the face of the Earth.

Not this one, nor would thousands of LGBT-affirming mainline Protestant churches as well as black churches.

As to who is "supposed to care" about this story, obviously you did enough to comment on it. Smiley

This post is dangerously close to invoking typically right wing habits of confusing religion with politics.

...Uh, no?  I'm just stating a fact.  Black evangelicals and liberal mainliners tend to vote for Democrats.  It makes no sense to say that "leftists" are anti-religion unless you live in a bubble, as mencken clearly does.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2017, 06:46:52 AM by Torie »

To be fair "are you actually a Christian" is a perfectly legitimate thing to ask mainline clergy these days Tongue

Cute. Except it's not, ... [Torie]
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2017, 06:47:27 AM by Torie »

To be fair "are you actually a Christian" is a perfectly legitimate thing to ask mainline clergy these days Tongue

Cute. Except it's not, ... .

...I doubt a Calvinist cares very much for the Opus Dei.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:04 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2017, 06:47:53 AM by Torie »

Cute. Except it's not, ... .

...I doubt a Calvinist cares very much for the Opus Dei.

D'OH!! For some reason I thought Al fine was a conservative Catholic. Well, that's egg on my face period probably well-deserved considering that was a bit of an overreach unfair statement against Catholics on my part.

Still a rather smugly dickish pronunciation on DC's part.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 01:29:03 AM »

Trump knows Presbyterians are Christian. This is just how he talks.

I doubt he really knew what Evangelicals were though. He probably thought Evangelical was any Christian who actually believes in God... I'll bet he thinks the Pope is Evangelical.

This was the confusion. He assumed the Presbyterian ministers were "evangelicals" and then they said they weren't.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »

To be fair, we use the word "evangelical" in a strange way.  It's greek and it just means "good news."  In Germany, for example, evangelische is mainline protestant.  In the movie Sophie Scholl, when the SS interrogators ask her about her religion, you can clearly hear her say "Ich bin Evangelische" but the English subtitles read "I'm Lutheran."  We have used the word Lutheran to mean Evangelical and the word Evangelical to mean bible thumper.  Evangelicalism, properly defined, is a doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in the atonement of the Christ.  Methodists, Lutherans, Baptists, etc., are all evangelical christians.  Even conservative Presbyterians can be regarded as confessional evangelicals with calvinist roots. 

I think Donald Trump already knew that Presbyterian is one of the many flavors of Christian, but I don't think he has ever had the intellectual curiosity to learn the etymology of the term evangelical.  This hardly distinguishes him from his fellow countrymen.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »

Don't Presbyterian churches vary widely in style, with some more like the Episcopalians, and cerebral and very mainline, while others tend to have a more evangelical flavor in style? That is my impression anyway. I remember a Presbyterian church in Hollywood that seemed quite evangelical to me. I had a tenant who belonged to that church who loved to proselytize to save souls. He finally figured out that I was a hopeless case, who was incapable of making any sort of leap of faith.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »

Gospel.

I also had the impression that there are many flavors of presbyterians.  Perhaps one of our resident religious scholars can expound on them.  (Where's Ernest when you need him?)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »

Don't Presbyterian churches vary widely in style, with some more like the Episcopalians, and cerebral and very mainline, while others tend to have a more evangelical flavor in style? That is my impression anyway. I remember a Presbyterian church in Hollywood that seemed quite evangelical to me. I had a tenant who belonged to that church who loved to proselytize to save souls. He finally figured out that I was a hopeless case, who was incapable of making any sort of leap of faith.

Yes, there's quite a bit of variety. There are different denominations, and even within the largest - PCUSA - which is considered mainline, there are many who would identify as evangelicals.  Similar to Methodists in that regard.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »

Yes, there's quite a bit of variety. There are different denominations, and even within the largest - PCUSA - which is considered mainline, there are many who would identify as evangelicals.  Similar to Methodists in that regard.

There are very few Methodists who would consider themselves evangelicals, thankfully. Our rivalry with the Baptists thankfully prohibits it from being common.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

Yes, there's quite a bit of variety. There are different denominations, and even within the largest - PCUSA - which is considered mainline, there are many who would identify as evangelicals.  Similar to Methodists in that regard.

There are very few Methodists who would consider themselves evangelicals, thankfully. Our rivalry with the Baptists thankfully prohibits it from being common.

Sorry, but you're wrong.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »

The church I go to currently started as a sort of sub-church in a Presbyterian one before it split, so yeah. Although I know nothing about what that Presbyterian church is like.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Yeah, I go to what is (among other hats) a generally quite liberal/mainline-oriented Methodist divinity school, and even here there are plenty of evangelical Methodists.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »

The church I go to currently started as a sort of sub-church in a Presbyterian one before it split, so yeah. Although I know nothing about what that Presbyterian church is like.

Neither does Trump. That's really the underlying point of this thread.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »

All the older Protestant traditions are like this. It's just the proportion of Evangelicals that varies.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »

Episcopalians/Anglicans have three main factions - Progressive, Anglo-Catholic, and Evangelical. Some people are somewhere between two of those factions.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Yeah, I go to what is (among other hats) a generally quite liberal/mainline-oriented Methodist divinity school, and even here there are plenty of evangelical Methodists.

Maybe evangelical in outlook, but not in self-identification.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Maybe evangelical in the sense of "wanting to share their faith", but definitely not in terms of what it has actually come to mean in Today's society: Absolute Biblical Literalism + Solidly in the Republican Party
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »

The Wesleyan movement is directly contrary to the principles of so-called "evangelical" Protestantism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies