Favorite 21st century loser?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Favorite 21st century loser?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who is your favorite runner up from our recent elections/ which would have made the best president?
Al Gore

John Kerry

John McCain

Mitt Romney

Hillary Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Favorite 21st century loser?  (Read 2080 times)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »

1) Clinton
2) Gore
3) McCain
4) Kerry
5) Romney
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »

Based on the candidates themselves and the times (term) they would've served, from best to worst:

1. Gore

2. H. Clinton

3(tie). Kerry

3(tie). McCain

5. Romney

Let me say that none of these candidates would be above average Presidents. With that said, this Country and the world would be much better off today if George W. Bush lost in 2000. To this day, it saddens me that Gore lost.

Due to the fact that we're only 4.5 months into Trump's Presidency, I can't say with certainty how much better she'd be than Trump. On the one hand, I'd probably sleep better at night if she were President, especially because we wouldn't have a potential mad man in the White House and I wouldn't have to worry about losing my health care. On the other hand, a Clinton Presidency could be even more  damaging to the Democratic party down ticket than Obama was. A Republican President in 2020 with GOP supermajorities on Congress would probably be likely after 12 years of Obama/Clinton.

Kerry would've had to deal with the fallout in Iraq, rising Oil Prices as a result, and a Republican Congress obstructing him at every turn. The Supreme Court would be less conservative, but Kerry would have to put up compromise moderates to replace Rehnquist and O'Connor. Katrina would only be handled slightly better, as there was still incompetence at the state and local level. To top it off, the economy still collapses. 2008 is 1980 2.0 and Kerry is unable to get TARP through a GOP congress, meaning a deeper crisis. Edwards could also be problematic as well.

McCain in 2008 would have to deal with a hostile Democratic opposition in congress after a third presidential loss in a row and trying to please the Conservative ideological purists in his party. A weaker stimulus focusing more on tax cuts  is passed, but that's about it, meaning a much weaker recovery, if there is one at all. Expect more intervention in Libya and a longer stay in Iraq. Democrats sweep the 2010 midterms, McCain is forced to compromise on domestic policy and is driven out by a Conservative Primary challenge. The Democrats win the General election in a landslide though with even stronger majorities in Congress that 2008 OTL, but have a country that is much weaker in 2013 than in 2009 OTL.

Romney's first two years in office would consist of a full repeal of Obamacare, tax cuts that make the Bush tax cuts look like tax increases by comparison and a possible war in Syria. Deregulation, Deregulation, and more Deregulation would be a thing as well. 2014 probably sees the Democrats re take the house, the Senate is a toss up. Not as bad as what I've seen from a Trump Presidency thus far, but still far from good. Republicans however would probably view him similarly to how they view Reagan.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »

Kerry.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

If Gore counts as 21st century, then Gore. (He lost in the 20th century, but his Administration would be during the 21st)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies