Comey's written statement for tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:37:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Comey's written statement for tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Comey's written statement for tomorrow  (Read 5820 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2017, 04:28:56 PM by TD »

One last post. From the "You have to look at all of Trump's actions within context and not as singular actions" post.

You can be sure that Bob Mueller's report will be damning in the extreme because he's going to look at the entire array of facts and the classified intelligence behind them. He's going to look at the chronological pattern and examine every possible contact. He's going to most likely conclude inappropriate contact DID happen between the Trump campaign and Russia. It hinges on what kind of contact it was.

Does anyone with a straight face believe that since late 2014, since Trump flipped on Russia, without divulging his tax returns, and with Putin's pattern of connecting with the political far right in various nations to further a pro-Russia agenda (Marine LePen's $4.5 million) and the multiple undisclosed meetings with Russian officials that there was none, that it all is innocent and unconnected?  And I'm not citing alt-right sources. I'm citing major mainstream papers.

The only question is whether it's damning enough to count as collusion or if Trump was a patsy or if we can find the missing link.

Literally, quite literally, there is no "Oh, by magic, Trump suddenly flips on Russia, and becomes a dove, when he callled Russia a major threat in 2014 and then exhibits a trend of behavior not unlike other leaders who have been bought off or supported by Putin directly." See LePen, Farage, and a whole bevy of other European leaders associated with United Russia. Trump did not arrive at his newfound position on Russia by magic. Nor did his Administration take these actions as sincere ideological conviction; we would have a paper trail from American ideological think tanks on the Right with no Russian connections who advocate this and then passed it onto the Trump campaign (this is why I cited Iraq and the way we went to war).

Every single action the Trump campaign and Administration mirrors other foreign leaders who had direct benefits from Putin. Literally. The question is what happened, how innocent or not so innocent it was. And you have to examine the entire picture.

This is exactly what Bob Mueller will do and this is why the iceberg has already been hit by the USS Republican Party. They've hit the iceberg. The question is when they realize it and if they avoid the ship being sunk entirely.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »

There are three areas of investigation that can lead to impeachment . . . Flynn . . . Emoluments . . . Russia.

I will be flabbergasted if even one Republican asks Comey even one single question about any of these topics.  I expect most of the questions from Republicans to be about Clinton's emails.

Rubio was asking the intel chiefs in today's hearing about whether they'd been asked by anyone to influence an ongoing investigation.  So no, he didn't actually say "Flynn", but it's clear that that's what he was talking about.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »

The national Democrats and Republicans are not actual political parties. They are merely political tags that anyone can wear. You can identify as anything you want. Anyone can identify as a Democrat or Republican - you don't need to become a member of an organization, pay dues, or do anything that would normally be identified with joining a political organization. This is why state governments track party registration and primary elections that are paid for with public funds can even be justified.

This is also why nothing changes regardless of which "party" is in power, because while they're ostensibly vehicles for public opinion, they are actually just tools for politicians to use to gain personal power and influence. It's like choosing between a Deere and a Case IH - people have passionate opinions about the labels, but the result you get is not much different.

Trump identified as a Republican, and real Americans, who are mostly non-ideological, voted for him in primary elections, and Trump legally earned the right to use the Republican toolbox much like Michael Bloomberg did. I'll bet Trump lost the activists - the real, paid up members of the state GOP - in every single state that had a competitive caucus or primary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »

roflmao
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »

There are three areas of investigation that can lead to impeachment . . . Flynn . . . Emoluments . . . Russia.

I will be flabbergasted if even one Republican asks Comey even one single question about any of these topics.  I expect most of the questions from Republicans to be about Clinton's emails.

For a new development in the Emoluments area, see https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=265892.0.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Most of the Republican Senator's questions will focus on whether or not Comey had a role in leaking information to the press....

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »

You don't get to make millions in NYC real estate otherwise.
alomas
Rookie
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »

And remember CNN wrote yesterday that Comey is going to refute Trump's long-held stance that he was assured he is not under investigation. Fake news!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

Dunno if that's a good defense. NYC real estate also requires being mobbed up (construction unions) and all kinds of other unpleasant things (bribing city officials) that we tend not to want in US Presidents.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »

Dunno if that's a good defense. NYC real estate also requires being mobbed up (construction unions) and all kinds of other unpleasant things (bribing city officials) that we tend not to want in US Presidents.
I have a worse argument (for Trump himself) that still rings true: you have to be intelligent to build your surname into a world class brand. Trump himself owns very little of the Trump brand properties. To me, building an image and brand out of that takes more talent than actually building a real estate empire.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »

No, all you have to do is being rich. Making a lot of money is very easy when you already have a lot. That's how the system is designed to work.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »

Words have meanings. Obstruction of justice has a specific definition, just like Hillary's "extremely careless" handling of her emails was not the same thing as criminal mishandling of classified information.

This shows very inappropriate management of the executive branch by Trump. He was justified in feeling frustrated by the media obsessing over Russia, which has been consistently unfair, but that does not excuse this type of disregard for the chain of command or ethical carelessness.
He's guilty of not doing his homework. That's far more damning to me than anything. I don't want him to run again in 2020. He needs to get his ducks in a row and start governing once this is behind him.

lol "governing".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »

So the opening remarks don't seem to confirm anything, new, correct?

As of march 30th, trump was not being personally investigated.

Trump asked for "loyalty" from comey.

Trump asked comey to "see to letting flynn go"

And that whole FIRING COMEY for no tangible reason other than his refusal to be sufficiently "loyal" by shutting down the investigation.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2017, 04:27:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/336870-ryan-it-was-obviously-inappropriate-for-trump-to-ask-comey-for
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies