Comey's written statement for tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Comey's written statement for tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Comey's written statement for tomorrow  (Read 5759 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »

I can't wait to see how Thomas Jackson and EnglishPete spin this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »

By the way, for those of those harping on obstruction, solely using these opening remarks, there is no obstruvtion.

FBI investigations are not considered procedures under 18USC 1505.

I know you wish it was that simple, but it isn't.

Trump may or may not have engaged in obstruction of justice under normal judicial standards, but that’s irrelevant — the only thing that matters is whether Congress decides he did so under whatever standards they believe are appropriate.

Anticipatory obstruction is also a thing.

(Thank you for that excellent lawfare link, btw.)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »

Trumpers: No. This is not good news and today wasn't good news for you either. Deal with it. Grasp reality by the horns and get with it. A President with this kind of testimony by the ex-FBI Director and the DNI/CIA chiefs issuing a non-denial on if he asked THEM to drop the investigation is NOT the successful presidency you imagined six months in.

Please grasp reality or at least, stop making it easy to mock you.

*Sanchez and Grumps (mostly) are exempted from this. I like them. So I have biases. Sue me.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »

So much for all those "HA!  Anonymous Source on WaPo??!?!  Give me a break, FAKE NEWZ!!"  posts.....
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »

I can't wait to see how Thomas Jackson and EnglishPete spin this.

EnglishPete has often tended to just invent conspiracy theories if something is completely undeniable. TJ is a krazen-type troll who will just spin it in a way that suggests they don't care, or will latch onto any justification, no matter how weak, to back themselves up.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This seems to be an important sub-note on Comey telling Trump he wasn't personally being investigated.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »

FOX "News" headline on this:

Ex-FBI boss to testify he assured Trump he was not personally under investigation; was pressed for 'loyalty'

The White House propaganda outlet is hard at work on spinning this one.

Note that it is a subtitle to the main headline: "Comey Clears the Air"
Or heir, or whatever.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »

This seems to be an important sub-note on Comey telling Trump he wasn't personally being investigated.

I'm getting flashbacks to 2016. Looks like he knew he screwed up with Clinton investigation and didn't want to make the same mistake again.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »

There is going to be a movie about this some day.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »

It's gonna be so weird to watch it
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »

Who'll play Trump?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »

This confirms nothing. He stopped short of calling it obstruction of justice. The prosecution can move forward but how can they make a case when the literal investigators can't pin an actual crime. This was a good day for Trump judging by what I've read.

Seriously, I heard a long excerpt read on MSNBC and even they say this supports the Presidents claim that he did not try to end the wider Russia probe.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »

I'm getting flashbacks to 2016. Looks like he knew he screwed up with Clinton investigation and didn't want to make the same mistake again.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »

Trumpgate: The Movie
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

This confirms nothing. He stopped short of calling it obstruction of justice. The prosecution can move forward but how can they make a case when the literal investigators can't pin an actual crime. This was a good day for Trump judging by what I've read.

Seriously, I heard a long excerpt read on MSNBC and even they say this supports the Presidents claim that he did not try to end the wider Russia probe.

I don't think there has been much evidence of this to begin with, the dangerous parts for the President have involved his handling of the Flynn case.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »

I don't think there has been much evidence of this to begin with, the dangerous parts for the President have involved his handling of the Flynn case.

This.

However, the wider Russian probe, however, remains troubling, in that the President won't reveal areas that would clear him. Such as his tax returns and his cabinet and aides did not report all the meetings with the Russian ambassador and other Russian operatives.

The President really just needs to lay it out there if he wants to kill this cloud. This is why I think there's more to the smoke here.
yankeesfan
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »

This neglects the fact that Trump fired Comey subsequent to these meetings to end the wider Russia probe.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »

This neglects the fact that Trump fired Comey subsequent to these meetings to end the wider Russia probe.

The wider probe was going to end with Comey's firing?  That's news to everyone, even the Donald.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »

He fired Comey for a variety of stated reasons. You're projecting your hopes into reality. You can't change reality. The reality is, nothing connects Comey's firings to these conversations.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

It's also worth noting that Trump threatened Comey with some sort of tape. He's either making a perfect bluff (which I'm sure he's skilled at) or he does have tapes, and if those tapes are in his possession, he wouldn't publicize them if they contained anything incriminating. That ought to be the focus of Mueller going forward IMO if I were him and assuming he's actually serious about ending this McCarthyite witch hunt probe.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »

Michael Cera IS Donald Trump IN Oliver Stone's Trumped: The Untold Story of the Pee Pee Tape
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »

what time is comey's intestines tomorrow?

I assume you meant testimony, and if so that's one of the funniest autocorrects I've ever seen.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

From Comey's friend and Brookings fellow Benjamin Wittes:

kyc0705

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

what time is comey's intestines tomorrow?

Comey as the committee spills open his intestines:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »

Wow.
Obstruction of justice IMO.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length