UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:45:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 73
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 145603 times)
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: June 11, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »

You put wales down twice, I think the 2nd wales should be England?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1576 on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »

You put wales down twice, I think the 2nd wales should be England?

Yea changed. Point stands. Unless Lab does strongly in Scotland & replaces SNP as the main party, it is impossible for them to for a government on their own. The best case for a Lab PM is a Labour + SNP government !
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1577 on: June 11, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »

Net Lab Gain of 44 seats despite a 8% swing

In British terms that is in fact a 4% swing.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1578 on: June 11, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 07:23:39 AM by Shadows »

Which of the following do you think is the biggest reason more people than expected chose to vote for Jeremy Corbyn?   

Scrapping tuition fees - 35%, The arrogance of the Conservatives - 30%, His performance as leader - 22%

Which of the following do you think is the biggest reason more people than expected chose not to vote for Theresa May?   

The “dementia tax” policy - 27%, Her performance as leader - 24%, Failing to take part in televised debates - 18%

Regardless of how you voted in the election, which of the following party leaders do you think had the best campaign?

Jeremy Corbyn - 67%, Theresa May - 16%, Don’t know - 17%

Which of the following issues best reflects the reason why you changed your mind? LAB

The performances of the leader - 25%, School funding policy - 16%, Social Care policy - 14%

Which of the following is closest to your view?

There should be a second referendum - 36%, There should not be a second referendum - 55%, Don’t know - 9%

In light of the General Election result, which of the following do you prefer?

A “hard” Brexit - 36%, A “soft” Brexit - 47%, Don’t know - 17%

Do you approve or disapprove of Theresa May’s decision to govern with agreed support from the Democratic Unionist Party?

Approve                      33%, Disapprove                  47%, Don’t know                  20%

http://mailchi.mp/survation/post-election-poll-for-the-mail-on-sunday-1118541
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1579 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1580 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »

Hastings and Rye really stands out. Is the constituency markedly different from its surroundings demographically (given its size it looks a bit more densely populated, but not by especially much), was Rudd particularly targeted during the campaign, or is it an issue of Labour candidate quality?

I'd have the same question about Canterbury but you've already explained that that's because of the student vote finally mobilizing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1581 on: June 11, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »

Yes, very different. Hastings these days is what might politely be described as a bit of a dive. Pretty clear that the hinterland (which is more your average prosperous Sussex countryside) pulled her over the line, just.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1582 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

One thing that hardly anyone has noticed or noted anywhere but which I saw happening in my very own constituency* is that Labour has suddenly reclaimed all of those rural working class voters it had been shedding at a deeply alarming rate (and in all directions) these past fifteen years. Because of the electoral system it barely matters in practical terms (though has added a further boost to Labour's national PV total, do note) but it is an interesting development.

*Observed far more Labour posters than ones for other parties in the grimmer section of the market towns throughout the campaign. Which always used to be the case but had not been so for quite a while...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1583 on: June 11, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »

Charles Kennedy's old seat gives the SNP its joint largest majority. Discuss. Also... erm... Coatbridge et al and Glasgow Provan/Springburn for Labour... did the CORBYN IRA CORBYN IRA thing end up having a slightly different effect to that intended? Grin
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1584 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »

One thing that hardly anyone has noticed or noted anywhere but which I saw happening in my very own constituency* is that Labour has suddenly reclaimed all of those rural working class voters it had been shedding at a deeply alarming rate (and in all directions) these past fifteen years. Because of the electoral system it barely matters in practical terms (though has added a further boost to Labour's national PV total, do note) but it is an interesting development.

*Observed far more Labour posters than ones for other parties in the grimmer section of the market towns throughout the campaign. Which always used to be the case but had not been so for quite a while...

At a minimum it'll mean that the Tories have to spend some amount of money in these places next election. Which is good.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1585 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »

There's a lot of really close seats in Scotland.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1586 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

Charles Kennedy's old seat gives the SNP its joint largest majority. Discuss. Also... erm... Coatbridge et al and Glasgow Provan/Springburn for Labour... did the CORBYN IRA CORBYN IRA thing end up having a slightly different effect to that intended? Grin

Thanks for getting this out so quickly; lots of interesting things in here...  The SNP's relative success in Edinburgh still interests me - Labour seemed to be confident in Edinburgh North and Leith and the Tories moved resources out of South West late in the campaign and everyone thought that it was because they were sure of winning it - if so then it shows the value of complacency in elections!

Also thanks for using the names for the Glasgow seats should have rather than boring calendar directions - they are more descriptive...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1587 on: June 11, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »

hey guys do you think something happened to piss people off in london?!?!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1588 on: June 11, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »

I'm reminded of the map of the 1945 election that you posted a couple of years ago, with the welter of narrow-but-undeniable Labour victories in rural seats all over the Midlands and East Anglia.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1589 on: June 11, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »

Part of a series:

(North East)
http://imgur.com/a/zKBUJ

Would love to go back further to when these really start to become more meaningful (two-party state pre-74) but no handy resources available to hand and I'm not invested enough to pick through every constituency manually.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1590 on: June 11, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »

Part of a series:

(North East)
http://imgur.com/a/zKBUJ

Would love to go back further to when these really start to become more meaningful (two-party state pre-74) but no handy resources available to hand and I'm not invested enough to pick through every constituency manually.

Lib Dems actually beating the Tories in the Northeast in 05 and 2010.

Any high profile LibDems in the Northeast?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1591 on: June 11, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »

There were Lib Dem MPs in Berwick and Redcar, and I beloved they controlled Newcastle Council during the Blair year.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1592 on: June 11, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »

None particularly high-profile.

North West

http://imgur.com/S91fpKv
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1593 on: June 11, 2017, 05:57:27 PM »

Where are you guys getting regional vote breakdowns for 2017 and 2015? I've been looking for them everywhere to no avail... Sad

That's one of the most heartening news of this election. Really good to know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1594 on: June 11, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »

So Labour won 19 seats and lost 22 by less than 1%. Tories won 17 and lost 19.

With 2%, it's Labour 25/38, Tories 31/28.

With 5%, Labour 54/79, Tories 67/63.

So it looks like Tories did slightly better in the marginals.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1595 on: June 11, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »

So unless I'm mistaken the bottom graph appears to indicate that Labour won roughly 2:1 vs the Tories among UKIP voters?

Or, was there a massive defection of Tory voters to Labour and the UKIP voters split roughly down the Middle in '17?

Any sense of what's going on there?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1596 on: June 11, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »

Does the UK have the equivalent of US voting precincts where these numbers can be broken down into a further level of detail, beyond just constituencies top level results?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1597 on: June 11, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »

So unless I'm mistaken the bottom graph appears to indicate that Labour won roughly 2:1 vs the Tories among UKIP voters?

Or, was there a massive defection of Tory voters to Labour and the UKIP voters split roughly down the Middle in '17?

Any sense of what's going on there?

Option three: a lot of people who did not vote in 2015 voted in 2017 and voted Labour.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1598 on: June 11, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »

Does the UK have the equivalent of US voting precincts where these numbers can be broken down into a further level of detail, beyond just constituencies top level results?

No. The UK does not report any results whatsoever at a more granular level than constituencies.
adma
« Reply #1599 on: June 11, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

Yes, very different. Hastings these days is what might politely be described as a bit of a dive. Pretty clear that the hinterland (which is more your average prosperous Sussex countryside) pulled her over the line, just.

Also, there's a recent past of being represented by New Labour--and by 1997-landslide statistical fluke.  Up to 1992 H&R was deemed typical S England Tory vs Lib territory--in 1992, 47.6% vs 35.2%, with Labour well back at 25.7%.  Then in 1997, Labour pole-vaulted to 34.4%, while the Tories sunk to 29.2% and LD to 28.0%  And with incumbent advantage, H&R morphed from a Con-Lib seat to a Con-Lab seat, which it remains...
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies