UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 73
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 143791 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: June 11, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »

No. The UK does not report any results whatsoever at a more granular level than constituencies.

Or at most, ward-level data serves as a proxy.

Incidentally, re the Survation poll and projecting seat totals from that, I'd take Wales losing 6 Labour seats to the Tories with a grain of salt.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1601 on: June 11, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 06:46:11 PM by Tintrlvr »

There were Lib Dem MPs in Berwick and Redcar, and I beloved they controlled Newcastle Council during the Blair year.

The Lib Dems also had a significant presence in Durham. All of those have since evaporated.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1602 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »

No. The UK does not report any results whatsoever at a more granular level than constituencies.

Incidentally, re the Survation poll and projecting seat totals from that, I'd take Wales losing 6 Labour seats to the Tories with a grain of salt.

Ward level data?

What exactly is this and where is it available?

adma
« Reply #1603 on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »

Ward level data?

Basically, using local ward-level election results to interpret where the parties' relative strengths lie.  A bit crude, but seems to be the best one can do...
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1604 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

I'm shocked with Kensington more than anything else, isn't it like the most wealthy constituency.
the506
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1605 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »

Ward level data?

They use ward-level local results to get an approximation.

2017 isn't up yet, but you can see 2015 data at http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/newseatlookup.html

The UK may be the only English-speaking country that doesn't do precinct/polling station-level results. It's very frustrating.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1606 on: June 11, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »

Where are you guys getting regional vote breakdowns for 2017 and 2015? I've been looking for them everywhere to no avail... Sad

Anyone?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1607 on: June 11, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »

Where are you guys getting regional vote breakdowns for 2017 and 2015? I've been looking for them everywhere to no avail... Sad

Anyone?
I thought I already posted this, but here's one for 2017.
https://m.imgur.com/a/N36Nr
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1608 on: June 11, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »

Anyone?
I thought I already posted this, but here's one for 2017.
https://m.imgur.com/a/N36Nr

Oh, yes, I'd seen that, sorry.

I was hoping for actual vote totals. I also still can't fin 2015 anywhere.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1609 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:38 AM »

I'll admit for a long time I didn't think Corbyn was the right person to lead the Labour Party. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but he's convinced me. And in this case, I'm glad I was wrong. It's not hard at all to see him winning the next general election (not a prediction at all, of course). I'm glad I didn't make any predictions because I fully expected the Tories to hold a slightly increased Majority Government. I also have to say that watching live coverage of the election (on Sky News) was very refreshing for this American.

I do have a question to someone more qualified. What explains the Conservative strength in the Cities of London & Westminster constituency? Apparently, it's highly educated and affluent with a majority of residents being foreign-born, but that's not unique to any particular London constituency. (I suppose, to a certain extent, my question extends to the Chelsea and Fulham constituency as well.) I have a hard time wrapping my mind around modern urban conservatism considering it's almost nonexistent in the US (in terms of voters as opposed to politicians).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1610 on: June 12, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 12:31:00 AM by Solitude Without a Window »

I do have a question to someone more qualified. What explains the Conservative strength in the Cities of London & Westminster constituency? Apparently, it's highly educated and affluent with a majority of residents being foreign-born, but that's not unique to any particular London constituency. (I suppose, to a certain extent, my question extends to the Chelsea and Fulham constituency as well.) I have a hard time wrapping my mind around modern urban conservatism considering it's almost nonexistent in the US (in terms of voters as opposed to politicians).

It's really not surprising at all in the British context (if anything, what's shocking is to see Labour win seats like Kensington). Thank God we have a country where class politics is still a thing.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1611 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »

I'll admit for a long time I didn't think Corbyn was the right person to lead the Labour Party. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but he's convinced me. And in this case, I'm glad I was wrong. It's not hard at all to see him winning the next general election (not a prediction at all, of course). I'm glad I didn't make any predictions because I fully expected the Tories to hold a slightly increased Majority Government. I also have to say that watching live coverage of the election (on Sky News) was very refreshing for this American.

Only in the US political analysis, would that be remotely shocking. What is shocking is how good, labour are doing in that constituencies, obviously there's a reason behind that, but still.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1612 on: June 12, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »

It's really not surprising at all in the British context (if anything, what's shocking is to see Labour win seats like Kensington). Thank God we have a country where class politics is still a thing.

I know, but class was not a defining characteristic of this election. If anything, that distinction has apparently diminished significantly this election. I'm definitely aware of Kensington, as it was the last seat called with like a 20 vote majority or something like that. Most London constituencies have and continue to vote Labour. I'm just curious as to why such core London seats have such a strong Conservative vote. I don't want to be the one that compares everything to American politics (and I do apologize in advance for the comparison), but it seems like the equivalent of Lower Manhattan being a Republican stronghold. Is it really just that the affluent in that part of London votes heavily Conservative (although apparently with greatly diminished numbers)?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1613 on: June 12, 2017, 01:29:15 AM »

Well, part of the reason that the GOP is toxic to Manhattanians is their social conservatism, right? The Tories are not that socially conservative; a majority of their MPs voted in favour of gay marriage, for example. I think the DUP would be closer to the GOP in social issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1614 on: June 12, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »

Is it really just that the affluent in that part of London votes heavily Conservative (although apparently with greatly diminished numbers)?

I mean, yes, it is. Al or another British poster can correct me if I'm wrong, but, but I really think it boils down to the fact that class is still, if not the, at least one of the defining factors of British political cleavages. It might have been a bit less true this time around (although Al actually suggested earlier that Labour actually made major gains in some working-class areas), but it's still way truer than it ever was in the US.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1615 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:47 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 01:56:13 AM by politicallefty »

I mean, yes, it is. Al or another British poster can correct me if I'm wrong, but, but I really think it boils down to the fact that class is still, if not the, at least one of the defining factors of British political cleavages. It might have been a bit less true this time around (although Al actually suggested earlier that Labour actually made major gains in some working-class areas), but it's still way truer than it ever was in the US.

I don't discount anything you're saying and I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but I was and am hoping for a response for someone with more intimate knowledge of the area. On the previous page, it was shown that the class gap has narrowed from 72 points in 1987 to 15 points now.

If anything, what astonishes me right now, is that age gap. On the one hand, it makes be wonder what would have happened in this country had someone like Bernie led the party into a general election. On the other hand, Corbyn may have beat expectations, but he didn't win. He may indeed be the Prime Minister after the next election, but we'll see how everything goes in the meantime.

Well, part of the reason that the GOP is toxic to Manhattanians is their social conservatism, right? The Tories are not that socially conservative; a majority of their MPs voted in favour of gay marriage, for example. I think the DUP would be closer to the GOP in social issues.

That's a valid point. I know Tory MPs were very closely divided on gay marriage. The DUP doesn't really fit in American politics, but if it did, it would seem to me like some of the more conservatives from the South (as if the Deep South elected a slate of Representatives that supported the Union).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1616 on: June 12, 2017, 04:03:55 AM »

I know, but class was not a defining characteristic of this election. If anything, that distinction has apparently diminished significantly this election. I'm definitely aware of Kensington, as it was the last seat called with like a 20 vote majority or something like that. Most London constituencies have and continue to vote Labour. I'm just curious as to why such core London seats have such a strong Conservative vote. I don't want to be the one that compares everything to American politics (and I do apologize in advance for the comparison), but it seems like the equivalent of Lower Manhattan being a Republican stronghold. Is it really just that the affluent in that part of London votes heavily Conservative (although apparently with greatly diminished numbers)?

The affluent vote in London has usually been strongly Conservative, yes.  That weakened this time, but Chelsea & Fulham, Cities of London & Westminster and Putney were safe enough to withstand the tide, unlike Kensington, which in spite of the reaction people have to its name isn't uniformly posh.

In most other cities, the urban middle class have largely abandoned the Tories.  See Bristol West, for example, which does contain some working class inner city areas but not enough to explain the scale of the Labour blowout.  I think there are two points; one is that central London has more really rich people than other cities and also that it has more people working in finance; I'm sure financial sector people are quite a bit more Tory than people in other sectors.

In places further out of the cities, especially once you get out of the areas generally regarded as part of the city proper, the middle classes do tend to vote Tory.  In spite of hints of a trend in their favour, I don't see a Labour MP for Sutton Coldfield any time soon.
adma
« Reply #1617 on: June 12, 2017, 04:44:30 AM »

This may explain Kensington's result a bit
https://www.citylab.com/politics/2017/06/londons-richest-neighborhood-just-voted-labour-thats-astounding/529788/?utm_source=SFFB

And re the Republicans: you really have to go back to an earlier age of moderate Republicanism to comprehend the Tories' continuing viability in London, or consider its ghost in recent NYC Mayoral elections (Giuliani, Bloomberg--echoed, of course, by Boris in London).  In fact, given what the GOP is today, a more fitting comparison point than London is Paris: think not of how Sarkozy/Fillon have done there, but of how Le Pen has done there.  *That's* why the GOP fares so poorly in US urban cores.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1618 on: June 12, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »

Do you Wales and England separately?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1619 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »

The affluent vote in London has usually been strongly Conservative, yes.  That weakened this time, but Chelsea & Fulham, Cities of London & Westminster and Putney were safe enough to withstand the tide, unlike Kensington, which in spite of the reaction people have to its name isn't uniformly posh.

In most other cities, the urban middle class have largely abandoned the Tories.  See Bristol West, for example, which does contain some working class inner city areas but not enough to explain the scale of the Labour blowout.  I think there are two points; one is that central London has more really rich people than other cities and also that it has more people working in finance; I'm sure financial sector people are quite a bit more Tory than people in other sectors.

In places further out of the cities, especially once you get out of the areas generally regarded as part of the city proper, the middle classes do tend to vote Tory.  In spite of hints of a trend in their favour, I don't see a Labour MP for Sutton Coldfield any time soon.

Have the Brexit parts of London nearer to Essex (Romford) swung to the Tories at all?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1620 on: June 12, 2017, 07:38:48 AM »

Anyone?

I'll post my spreadsheet once I'm done, that will give you 2015.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1621 on: June 12, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »

Electoral Calculus have done an analysis of how the results would have looked on the provisional 2018 boundaries.

Headline figure: C 298 Lab 245 SNP 32 SF 9 DUP 7 LD 7 PC 1 Ind 1 Grn 0, which is three seats short of a majority for the Conservatives but enough to govern alone as the combined opposition without Sinn Fein is only 293 seats.

Analysis: In east London, Ilford South (Lab) is abolished but the knock-on effects create a new safe Labour seat of Forest Gate and Loxford and wipe out the IDS majority in Chingford and Woodford Green, which takes territory from Walthamstow and becomes a notional Labour seat.

In north London, Enfield Southgate (Lab) is abolished but much of it goes into Finchley and Golders Green, which is renamed Finchley and Southgate and flips to Labour.  Chelsea and Fulham (C) is abolished but the Chelsea half goes into the Kensington seat and flips it back to the Tories.  Diane Abbott's seat of Hackney North and Stoke Newington disappears, but the knock-on effects flip Cities of London and Westminster (of all seats) to Labour.  The Harrow and Hillingdon seats are heavily redrawn to Labour's advantage with Harrow East (C) replaced by Kenton (Lab) and Boris' Uxbridge and South Ruislip (C) replaced by Hillingdon and Uxbridge (Lab).

In south London, Mitcham and Morden (Lab) is abolished but much of it goes into Wimbledon, which loses its best Tory wards, is renamed Merton and Wimbledon Central and becomes a notional Labour seat.  The knock-on effects wipe out the Lib Dem majority in Carshalton and Wallington which flips to the Tories.  Two Labour seats in Lewisham are abolished (Deptford, and West/Penge) but one is created (Peckham and Lewisham West).  So overall the Conservatives lose five seats in London, the Lib Dems lose one and Labour gain one.

In Kent, Faversham and Mid Kent (C) is abolished but much of it goes into Canterbury and turns the new Canterbury and Faversham back into a notional Tory seat.

The Brighton area is heavily redrawn, with Kempton (Lab) replaced by Brighton East and Newhaven which is notionally Conservative and Pavilion (Grn) replaced by Brighton North which is notionally Labour.

In Hampshire, Meon Valley (C) is abolished and the knock-on effects flip Southampton Itchen from the Conservatives to Labour.  In Oxfordshire, Oxford West and Abingdon flips from the Lib Dems to the Tories.  The Isle of Wight is divided into two notionally Conservative seats, so overall in the South East the Tories gain a seat while the Greens and Lib Dems lose one each.

The Eastern region has only three changes to note: Witham (C) disappears while the redrawn Norwich North and Watford both flip from Conservative to Labour.

In the South West, Bournemouth West (C) and North Cornwall (C) disappear.  The redrawn Stroud flips from Labour to Conservative, but Camborne and Redruth (C) is replaced by Falmouth and Camborne which Baxter has as notionally Labour with a majority of three votes.

In Warwickshire, Kenilworth and Southam (C) disappears but much of its territory goes into Warwick and Leamington, whose successor seat of Leamington and Kenilworth is notionally Conservative.  In Coventry, Coventry North West (Lab) has a strongly Tory ward to the west added to become Coventry West and Meriden and a notional Conservative seat.  Elsewhere in the West Midlands county, the Labour seats of Birmingham Hall Green and Dudley North are abolished, but Halesowen and Rowley Regis (C) takes in part of Birmingham to become Birmingham Selly Oak and Halesowen and a notional Labour seat.  In the Marches, North Herefordshire (C) is abolished.  Finally in Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent Central (Lab) disappears but the knock-on effects bring Stoke South back into the Labour column.  So overall the Conservatives are down four seats in the West Midlands region with Labour down two.

By contrast, the Tories do well out of the East Midlands boundary changes: the redrawn Derby South and Lincoln are both notional Tory seats, while Gedling (Lab) and NE Derbyshire (C) disppear, so the Tories are up one here and Laboiur down three.

Turning to the North West, in Merseyside two Labour seats are abolished (Liverpool Walton and Wirral South).  In Cheshire Tatton (C) disappears but the knock-on effects turn Weaver Vale (Lab) into a safe Conservative seat. 

There are major changes in eastern Greater Manchester.  Oldham East and Saddleworth (Lab) disappears.  In Stockport borough Stockport (Lab) is abolished but most of its territory goes into Cheadle to form a new seat of Stockport South and Cheadle: this is notionally Labour, but nearby a new Tory seat of Bramhall and Poynton is created.  Elsewhere in Greater Manchester, the redrawn Bolton West flips from C to Lab.

In Lancashire, Pendle (C) disappears.  Lancaster and Fleetwood (Lab) also disappears but the knock-on effects turn the Conservative seat of Morecambe and Lunesdale into the Labour seat of Lancaster and Morecambe.

In Cumbria it's all rather complicated.  The seat which disappears is Workington (Lab), but the knock-on effects flip Copeland (C) into Workington and Whitehaven (a safe Labour seat), while Barrow and Furness (Lab) and Westmorland and Lonsdale (LD) both flip to the Conservatives.  So overall Labour lose four seats in the North West, the Tories are down two and the Lib Dems are wiped out in the region.

In West Yorkshire, Bradford South (Lab) and Leeds West (Lab) disappear, but the knock-on effects flip Batley and Morley (the successor to Morley and Outwood), Calder Valley and Pudsey from the Tories to Labour while Keighley flips the other way.  The redrawn Pudsey is a safe Labour seat.  In South Yorkshire, Penistone and Stocksbridge (Lab) disappears.  In the East Riding, David Davis' seat of Haltemprice and Howden (C) disappears, while on the other side of the Humber the Labour seat of Great Grimsby turns into a notional Tory seat of Grimsby North and Barton.

The changes in the North East region don't affect the three Tory seats with the entire loss of four seats coming at the expense of Labour.

The boundary changes in Wales shaft Plaid, with Arfon being abolished, Dwyfor Meirionnydd merged with various bits of western Clwyd into a notional Tory seat of Clwyd North and Gwynedd, and Carmarthen East merged with the Tory Carmarthen West to form a single Carmarthenshire seat which is notionally Labour.  Ironically Ceredigion (redrawn as Ceredigion and North Pembrokeshire) is the last Plaid seat standing.  Cardiff Central (Lab) is abolished, but the knock-on effects turn Vale of Glamorgan (C) into Vale of Glamorgan East which is a notional Labour seat.  Flipping the other way, Montgomeryshire (C) is abolished but part of it goes into Clwyd South (Lab), with the new Clwyd South and Montgomeryshire North being notionally Tory.  Six other Labour seats in Wales are abolished, while the Tory seats of Aberconwy and Clwyd West are merged together.

Scotland just got interesting.  In Edinburgh, Edinburgh South (Lab) disappears but the knock-on effects flip both Edinburgh East, and Edinburgh South West and Central (successor to SW) from the SNP to Labour.  The SNP get some compensation as the redrawn Edinburgh West flips to them from the Lib Dems.  South of Edinburgh, the Midlothian seat gains Peebles and flips from Labour to the SNP, while it's also good news for the SNP west of Edinburgh where the new Falkirk seat is notionally theirs.

The boundary changes are less good news for the SNP in the Glasgow area, where Glasgow North disappars, Glasgow East flips to Labour and Motherwell and Wishaw disappears.  Central Ayrshire (SNP) is also abolished.

North of the Forth it's all rather complicated.  The Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (Lab) seat disappears but much of its territory goes into the new seat of Kinross-shire and Cowdenbeath which is notionally Conservative.  However, it's bad news for the Tories overall because the knock-on effects merge together the Conservative Stirling and Ochil seats into a new Clackmannanshire and Stirling North seat which is notionally SNP.  The Tory seat of Angus also disappears.  The final seat to disappear is Ross, Skye and Lochaber (SNP) but the knock-on effects turn Highland North (successor to Caithness) into a notional SNP seat.  So overall the SNP are down three seats in Scotland, the Tories and Lib Dems are down two each and Labour are up one.

Finally to Northern Ireland and the reason why this has become an academic exercise, for the proposed new boundaries in the Province are very bad for the Unonists.  In Belfast, South (DUP) disappears while North flips to SF.  Mid Ulster (SF) disappears and a new DUP seat (West Down) is created, but the knock-on effects flip Glenshane (the successor to East Londonderry) and Upper Bann to Sinn Fein.  That puts Sinn Fein notionally on nine seats to seven for the DUP and one for Lady Hermon - a nationalist majority.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1622 on: June 12, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

so....labor isn't dead at all in scotland, their vote is just next to worthless.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1623 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »

The current review is unlikely to continue in its current from though so it might not be worth thinking about it too much...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1624 on: June 12, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »

Electoral Calculus have done an analysis of how the results would have looked on the provisional 2018 boundaries.

Headline figure: C 298 Lab 245 SNP 32 SF 9 DUP 7 LD 7 PC 1 Ind 1 Grn 0, which is three seats short of a majority for the Conservatives but enough to govern alone as the combined opposition without Sinn Fein is only 293 seats.

Ugh, of f**king course it would help the Tories.

What are the odds that this abomination ever comes to pass now that the Tories don't have a majority on their own?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies