UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 145777 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »

Here's a map of coal mines in the UK. Anybody want to comment on what it looks remarkably similar too? Smiley

Areas that have lost population?

How is Coalisland pronounced?

try again.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2017, 08:08:32 AM by Intell »

I know Brighton (though I think Hove is still slightly to the right of Brighton), question is where did this increase in voters come from

Student turnout being the same as turnout from everyone else for the first time ever. Same as in other very heavily Uni influenced constituencies.

Do many of the students at Brighton or Sussex live in Hove? best I could find is that 8% are in full time education?

I wonder if there might also be a combination of the EU referendum accelerating an already existing trend (Brighton and Hove was 69% remain after all - more than London), and the ongoing Southern Rail crisis meaning Corbyn's promise of rail nationalisation was particularly well received.

The North West swinging towards Labour does stick out a bit; what happened in socially-liberal, highly educated areas of the south is understandable, but the North West sticks out from the rest of the post-industrial England as it hasn't trended to the right in the same way. Even in the EU referendum, the North West was much closer than the rest of the North and the Midlands were.

I understand that a lot of this is due to both Manchester and the extreme levels of Labour support in Merseyside (which is a curious phenomenon in itself), but Labour winning in places like Bury North is really something of a shock.

Not really, no.  Bury North was a Labour seat until 2010 and had a very small Tory majority last time.  Labour also have the majority of local councillors in the seat and run the town well - Bury is a thriving place compared to most of the other Manchester satellites.

OK, Bury North might not be the best example - but the swing in the NW was much better for Labour than it was in Yorkshire, the NE or the Midlands; and in contrast to other old industrial elections the North West, both the smalle towns and the two big cities, seem to have held up much better for Labour (and the remain vote in the NW was much higher). As a whole, the region actually seems to be moving left.

I'm also curious as to why Liverpool is so overwhelmingly Labour (and so strongly remain). It wasn't the only city that was destroyed by Thatcher.

Liverpool isn't strongly reamin though.

Remain (%)

Liverpool Riverside: 73.2% (Has a high youth population)
Liverpool Wavetree: 64.2% (Has more slightly better off people???)
Liverpool West-Derby: 49.8%
Liverpool Walton: 46.2%

Other seats in merseyside, voted to leave, such as Bootle & Birkenhead.

Liverpool along with Glasgow (and other industrial areas in Scotland) most coal mining areas have a more solid-left wing tendency than other woking class communities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMPq1gecJ0

(after thatcher's death)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtwavcblPzo

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhme9zaK4WU

(justice for 96)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4FJcnX0i8

(just in a random football game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i29lqMkKNus

(oh a former prime minister's just died)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:41:30 AM »

Liverpool wasnt a coal mining area though (a bit around St Helens, but not to anything like the extent of S Yorks other parts of Lancashire). It wasnt even a major manufacturing centre like Manchester. It was chiefly a port city, with a huge Irish immigrant population, so maybe that legacy has meant it stayed more outward looking?

I struggle to believe that Hillsborough would have had such a huge impact on local politics.

And yet Liverpool votes well to the left of other working class areas (80% labour, as opposed to 60% labour in Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds - lower than that in smaller towns like Dewsbury)

And Liverpool was much stronger remain territory than Leeds, or Sheffield, or Birmingham. Which are all wealthier cities. Even Knowsley voted to remain, Knowsley!

I meant to say it's left-wingerism is equivalent to coal mining areas (and even more these days).

Militant was stronger in Liverpool than other working class cities.

Football, plays a huge part into it, from Hillsborough to Robbie Fowler's support of the docker's strike, and the club being generally left-wing.

Liverpool is the most left-wing city bar Glasgow in the UK.

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

I'm shocked with Kensington more than anything else, isn't it like the most wealthy constituency.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »

I'll admit for a long time I didn't think Corbyn was the right person to lead the Labour Party. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but he's convinced me. And in this case, I'm glad I was wrong. It's not hard at all to see him winning the next general election (not a prediction at all, of course). I'm glad I didn't make any predictions because I fully expected the Tories to hold a slightly increased Majority Government. I also have to say that watching live coverage of the election (on Sky News) was very refreshing for this American.

I do have a question to someone more qualified. What explains the Conservative strength in the Cities of London & Westminster constituency? Apparently, it's highly educated and affluent with a majority of residents being foreign-born, but that's not unique to any particular London constituency. (I suppose, to a certain extent, my question extends to the Chelsea and Fulham constituency as well.) I have a hard time wrapping my mind around modern urban conservatism considering it's almost nonexistent in the US (in terms of voters as opposed to politicians).

Only in the US political analysis, would that be remotely shocking. What is shocking is how good, labour are doing in that constituencies, obviously there's a reason behind that, but still.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies