Next UK General Election thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next UK General Election thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Next UK General Election thread  (Read 21635 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »

On Mortgaged v Owned Outright - how much of the latter is inherited?

Depends where in London; in the suburban areas - and areas developed as suburban to an extent still - a lot of the time they're houses on which the mortgage has been paid off, but as you get further in... "guess".

That would imply that the Owned Outright map can also act as an age map in Outer London, at least to some extent.

Which for our psephological purposes should not surprise us totally - look at Bromley and Havering, but then again, Enfield stands out.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

some of the patterns will be down to Right to Buy, there's a fair few wards there with relatively high council housing and mortgaged (I live in a similar area but in Reading) the council tenants who bought their houses in the 80s and 90s are either still mortgaged or have sold up to move on to greener pastures, often for a nice profit.

in Enfield you can see the pattern of the parliamentary seats, Southgate safe Con, Edmonton safe Lab and Enfield North marginal and there are a few other boroughs similar
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »

some of the patterns will be down to Right to Buy, there's a fair few wards there with relatively high council housing and mortgaged (I live in a similar area but in Reading) the council tenants who bought their houses in the 80s and 90s are either still mortgaged or have sold up to move on to greener pastures, often for a nice profit.

in Enfield you can see the pattern of the parliamentary seats, Southgate safe Con, Edmonton safe Lab and Enfield North marginal and there are a few other boroughs similar

Not any more!
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »

The fact that Labour taking Southgate on a 10% swing  was one of the less memorable things about this election is quite striking (compared to places like Canterbury, Kensington and Hallam)

That's my excuse and I'm sricking with it!;)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »

Yeah, Enfield Southgate 1997 is arguably the most famous constituency result in a general election of all-time.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »

Yeah, Enfield Southgate 1997 is arguably the most famous constituency result in a general election of all-time.

I was curious, so I looked it up. It even has its own Wikipedia page. TIL
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2018, 05:09:56 AM »

British PM Theresa May 'planning snap election' in November

British Prime Minister Theresa May is planning an early general election in November to save her leadership and to prevent the collapse of talks with European leaders over Britain's exit from the bloc, according to a report by the Sunday Times newspaper.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/09/british-pm-theresa-planning-snap-election-november-180923052959623.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies