Next UK General Election thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next UK General Election thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next UK General Election thread  (Read 21727 times)
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« on: June 11, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tweet by Richard Burgeon MP.

Good to see Labour returning to post-war mass-membership it held throughout the 40's to 70's. Should help with campaigning and funds for the next GE.

Wow. This makes it the biggest mass party in Europe by far. How do one join the Labour? All the parties I know have paid membership.

Well it's no doubt changed a little since I joined 6-7 years ago but you just go to the website and apply online. They then send you out a pack, with a membership card, and keep you posted if there's any elections/materials produced (and royally spam your email). It's about £50 p/y direct debit, but I think it's halved for those not in employment (you can choose what you like, I guess, but I can't imagine many people would bother signing up in the first place if they weren't prepared to pay £50 towards the party).

You know, 50.8 million dollars/year isn't that bad of an income. It's a shame that US parties don't really charge token membership fees like that. It would be difficult to introduce, and would require significant reforms to outreach, voting, and even the character of what parties precisely are in the United States. But I wonder if cultivating this sort of a committed, grassroots core of people isn't a thing worth looking into.

I know this is taking things a little off-topic, but interestingly, Canada seems to (kind of) be moving more towards the American way of doing things, with the federal Liberals having eliminated their membership fee at their last convention. In the recent CPC leadership race, Michael Chong was advocating a public political party registration system that also would have operated without membership fees.

Keep in mind, most Canadian party memberships are only about $10 or $20 per year. The Conservatives tried to raise theirs from $15 to $25 somewhat recently, but that attracted a backlash from enough people that they cancelled the increase.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies