Sanders' Drug imports amendment killed in Committee by Dems, Murray & Bennett !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sanders' Drug imports amendment killed in Committee by Dems, Murray & Bennett !
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders' Drug imports amendment killed in Committee by Dems, Murray & Bennett !  (Read 696 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »

Republicans and Democrats Continue to Block Drug Reimportation – After Publicly Endorsing It

Disgust with high prescription drug prices is nearly universal – 77 percent say drug prices are "unreasonable" – and 71 percent of respondents favor allowing the importation of cheaper drugs from Canada. Trump's FDA chief, Scott Gottlieb, was not only against importation, he'd written a Forbes editorial in 2016 denouncing then-candidate Trump's position on the issue. Trump's Health and Human Services chief, Tom Price, also has a long history of supporting pharmaceutical industry initiatives.

Sanders, along with co-sponsors Elizabeth Warren and Robert Casey, offered an amendment to the user-fee bill that would have allowed for importation of drugs from FDA-approved facilities in Canada. As Casey pointed out in committee, the amendment is laden with protections, requiring patients to have valid Canadian prescriptions, allowing the FDA to shut down bad actors, etc. Once again, Democratic discipline broke down. The amendment this time was beaten in committee, 13-10. Two Democrats, Patty Murray and Michael Bennett, both of whom accept a lot of pharmaceutical money, voted no.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-on-republicans-and-democrats-blocking-drug-reimportation-w485638

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

Lol
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »

Shockingly, Murray continues to be a HP.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »

Well, at least it won't hurt as much if those red state dems go down now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »

It increasingly appears that the left is going to have to fight to control it's own party before it will be able to fight the Republicans. ("Vote Democrat! They're not quite as awful as Trump and the Republicans!" may win an election or two, but it isn't a real solution to the problems facing our country and its citizens.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

Of course I laugh at the Senate Dems that better be getting primaried but won't be....but how were Americans going to get a Canadian prescription under this plan?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 03:21:40 PM by Reality Winner »

I am really starting to lose respect for Tester now.  He's supposed to be the kind of Democrat that doesn't go for this corporatist garbage.

Of course I laugh at the Senate Dems that better be getting primaried but won't be....but how were Americans going to get a Canadian prescription under this plan?

I'm not up on the details, but I would assume that the pharmaceutical companies would purchase drugs from across the border and Americans would get them that way.

(Of course, buying drugs online isn't exactly a new thing.  My mom did it one time when she bought stuff from India.  Don't ask me how it went.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

I should have been more clear.  How are they getting the written prescription, like from a doc, that is Canadian.  

This bit
As Casey pointed out in committee, the amendment is laden with protections, requiring patients to have valid Canadian prescriptions
Doesn't a doc need to see a new patient before writing a prescription?  I'm sure the writers of the bill thought this out, I'm just not seeing how.  You could make it easy to get one, but then it would be easy to scam.  That's not good.

I'm torn on the entire issue.  On one hand, the FDA makes putting new drugs on the market just stupid expensive for the makers of the new drugs so they should be able to charge whatever the hell they want to make up for those losses, but if they're able to make money selling drug X in Canada for Y dollars, why can't they make money selling it to Americans for the same price?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 02:44:21 AM »

Murray and Bennett voted for fast track. They like free trade for corporations but not consumers. Neoliberal frauds like them are why the Democratic party is so hated.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »

Hey Look. Corey "Sellout Hooker" Booker is on their with some of the largest Contributions. What a shock.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2017, 08:41:25 AM by Adam T »

The problem is that when the prescription drug bill of George W Bush was passed, the the conservative Republicans insisted that it include a provision that no government agency would negotiate drug prices with the manufacturers.

There is nothing magical about Canadian pharmaceutical drug exports, just that the Canadian provinces negotiate the prices with the manufacturers.  Canadian drug prices would actually be cheaper if either the Federal government negotiated the prices, of if the provinces got together and had one negotiating authority.

If you want cheaper drugs, get this law changed and don't increase the demand for the drugs made here which would undoubtedly increase their price.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2017/jan/17/tammy-baldwin/tammy-baldwin-federal-government-prohibited-negoti/

Baldwin says the federal government is prohibited "from negotiating lower prescription drug prices for our senior citizens."

Her reference is to Medicare Part D, a voluntary insurance program for prescription drugs for people on Medicare. Views differ on whether seniors ultimately would benefit if the federal government could negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies on prescription drug prices for Part D. But current federal law does prohibit that.

We rate Baldwin’s statement True.

There is a discussion there that negotiated prices would result in fewer drugs being made. Given the amount that the drug makers spend on advertising, I think that's a load of nonsense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »

The problem is that when the prescription drug bill of George W Bush was passed, the the conservative Republicans insisted that it include a provision that no government agency would negotiate drug prices with the manufacturers.

There is nothing magical about Canadian pharmaceutical drug exports, just that the Canadian provinces negotiate the prices with the manufacturers.  Canadian drug prices would actually be cheaper if either the Federal government negotiated the prices, of if the provinces got together and had one negotiating authority.

If you want cheaper drugs, get this law changed and don't increase the demand for the drugs made here which would undoubtedly increase their price.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2017/jan/17/tammy-baldwin/tammy-baldwin-federal-government-prohibited-negoti/

Baldwin says the federal government is prohibited "from negotiating lower prescription drug prices for our senior citizens."

Her reference is to Medicare Part D, a voluntary insurance program for prescription drugs for people on Medicare. Views differ on whether seniors ultimately would benefit if the federal government could negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies on prescription drug prices for Part D. But current federal law does prohibit that.

We rate Baldwin’s statement True.

There is a discussion there that negotiated prices would result in fewer drugs being made. Given the amount that the drug makers spend on advertising, I think that's a load of nonsense.

California's Prop 61 would have at least made the state of California get the best price. However, it was defeated with the help of the pharma lobbyist who is the current California Democratic chair.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies